3 of 4 games this weekend are inside

sullim4

This just does not feel like the playoffs. A whole bunch of games played in domes, no cold weather, the elements not a concern. We will only have had 2 games played in cold weather - in New England and Cincinnati. Of the 10 playoff games played before the Super Bowl, SEVEN of them (both CC games, the three this weekend, and two from last weekend) will be played in domes.

And as a result, it's pretty damn dull.

This just does not feel like the playoffs. A whole bunch of games played in domes, no cold weather, the elements not a concern. We will only have had 2 games played in cold weather - in New England and Cincinnati. Of the 10 playoff games played before the Super Bowl, SEVEN of them (both CC games, the three this weekend, and two from last weekend) will be played in domes.

Absolutely agree. Hate domes for football.

You thought the Cards/Pack game was "dull"? Wow.

Elements? You must hate watching the SB every year.

I thought about this watching the Saints game. Some fan had a sign that read "NO PLACE LIKE DOME." Makes me think that these fans are wussies.

I absolutely cannot stand dome teams.

Yeah, those Saints fans hiding in that dome can't handle that harsh January weather in NO--good point!!

Probably not a popular opinion for a Bills fan, but I don't think a playoff game should be decided by weather. All bad weather does is level the playing field between the good team and the bad team. The good team cannot execute and the bad team couldn't execute to begin with, so no harm. Call me old fashioned, but particularly in the playoffs I believe the best team should win.

Probably not a popular opinion for a Bills fan, but I don't think a playoff game should be decided by weather. All bad weather does is level the playing field between the good team and the bad team. The good team cannot execute and the bad team couldn't execute to begin with, so no harm. Call me old fashioned, but particularly in the playoffs I believe the best team should win.

How many bad teams are in the playoffs?

Well .... who's left .... so far it's:

Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, and Drew Brees.

Great QBs make for great passing offenses, great passing offenses are helped by the absence of wind, and a great passing offense is the key to winning in the modern-era NFL - which, I believe, is precisely what the NFL wants.

I'm sure I'll draw some flames for this, but I think the old cliches ("Defense wins championships", "3 yards and a cloud of dust", and so forth) are largely remnants of bygone era. It's the exception to the rule.

You thought the Cards/Pack game was "dull"? Wow.

Elements? You must hate watching the SB every year.

Yeah Weo, but this was the single exception this entire playoffs.

I believe that football was meant to be played outside but I also agree with the argument that at some point, playing in lousy weather renders the game to less than what it should be.

Both arguments have a lot of merit. We've all seen games the past two seasons involving the Bills in which the weather made a mockery of the sport. Like teams not trying in the final week, this is a problem without a solution.

What's more interesting to me is what I've come to call the "dome field advantage."

The conventional wisdom among bettors is that home field is good for 3-6 points. But I think the vast majority of these playoff games are showing that the teams designed to play in a dome, playing at home with the crowd noise in their favor are enjoying more than a 3-6 point advantage. At least it seems that way to me.