another opinion

bigskyfan

Quadry Ishmael (sp) was on espn radio this morning and was asked why everyone was turning down the bills coaching job. Ishmael did not cite the city, lack of talent currently on the team, lack of qb, etc.

Ishmael said the feeling around the league was that the bills "lacked a commitment to win" and no coach wants to go into a situation where the team was not committed to winning.

Quadry Ishmael (sp) was on espn radio this morning and was asked why everyone was turning down the bills coaching job. Ishmael did not cite the city, lack of talent currently on the team, lack of qb, etc.

Ishmael said the feeling around the league was that the bills "lacked a commitment to win" and no coach wants to go into a situation where the team was not committed to winning.

DONT SAY THAT HERE...all the homers on this site get very mad when you say bad things about this "proud franchise"

dude--you're being hysterical!

This is another opinion??? I think there are umpteen hundred people on this board echoing this sentiment hourly....

That is obviously the case. Specifically, it's about not wanting to spend top money on players ("cash to the cap"). Sounds like that was the problem with Shanahan and Cowher.

That being the case, it's still very surprising that assistant coaches don't even want to interview with the team. I know that when I've been looking for jobs, I never turn down an interview unless it's a totally upsurd situation. It improves your interview skills, raises your profile to other interested parties and gives you a sense of what is available in the marketplace. To not want to interview is very strange (especially for a guy like Harbaugh that isn't getting ready for a playoff game).

That is obviously the case. Specifically, it's about not wanting to spend top money on players ("cash to the cap"). Sounds like that was the problem with Shanahan and Cowher.

That being the case, it's still very surprising that assistant coaches don't even want to interview with the team. I know that when I've been looking for jobs, I never turn down an interview unless it's a totally upsurd situation. It improves your interview skills, raises your profile to other interested parties and gives you a sense of what is available in the marketplace. To not want to interview is very strange (especially for a guy like Harbaugh that isn't getting ready for a playoff game).

the calculation here might be a little different given how visible it is. assistants may turn down the offer as a sign of loyalty to their existing team.

the calculation here might be a little different given how visible it is. assistants may turn down the offer as a sign of loyalty to their existing team.

That would be refreshing, but I think this more a noble excuse for declining the job with a less than desirable team. I would bet any one of the people happy with their teams would jump at a chance for similar position within an organization with a better infrastructure and reputation.

For some reason this all reminds me of when Pat Riley took over as the LA Lakers head coach in the early 1980's. Magic Johnson didn't like Paul Westhead so he was fired and the Owner (Jerry Buss) scrambled to find a new coach, initially naming Jerry West only to have West decline the offer. He finally named Pat Riley (a nobody) and Riley went up to the podium at his press conference and said sarcastically that if no one wanted the head coaching job of the LA Lakers (a proud and storied NBA team), he would take it.

The Bill's head coaching position may not be perfect, but it is an NFL head coaching job (1 of 32 available in the world). You would think that there are a lot of professional coaches that would jump at the chance, as the opportunity doesn't come to many. Part of me wanted the job to go to Fewell because he actively campaigned for it. That's worth something in my book.

makes sense.

well then by his own calculations, Nix has failed b/c in his presser, Nix said he and RB would be responsible for failure to land a top coach. Evidently, they did not sell Cowher, et al on the organization's commitment to win.

I think that's something people aren't considering. The Bills are actually targeting the top prospects out there. They started with the top out of work guys - Gruden, Holmgren, Shanny, Cowher. Obviously, those guys are going to be selective. They have lots of options and money is no longer a priority. So, its not surprising to have them turn the job down (even though 2 considered it). You would think it would be an indication that the Bills want to win, but apparently not.

Then they've gone to the top OC/DC that are on playoff teams. So, yeah, those guys have to be a little careful. But, more importantly, they're all on teams that are close to a SuperBowl. It's entirely possible that a young guy like Schotty would want to stick with the Jets a few more years, have a chance at a SB. However, an older guy like Frazier, who's window to become a HC is smaller, could be more willing to make the move. Again, though, talking to some of the top assistant coaches would on the surface appear to mean the Bills want to win. Apparently not.

The surprise to me is JH in Stanford. That kinda came out of left field last night. Not only was this guy interviewed, with no one knowing anything about it, but he was offered the job and turned it down. All while no one knew anything about it. Maybe he turned it down because he sees his conference opening up with Carroll leaving, maybe he has a contract he can't get out of. I don't really know. But, again, the Bills, reportedly, go after one of the top college coaching prospects and again it's not seen as an indication that they want to win.

In my estimation, everything they're doing this off season indicates that they want to win. But, based on what someone from 5, 10, 15 years ago said?? we all know they're not committed to winning. Or is it based on speculation and rumors from fired employees that did absolutely nothing to help the team win?

I know... it's because they won't pay for players. I guess TO, Dockery, Walker, Mitchel were all scrubs that were paid pennies on the dollar. The Bills' problem is they've been paying for the wrong players, not that they're not paying for FAs. If a coach really wants more than 1-2 key FA signings a year - I don't want them here. One thing is certain, you can't build a winning team through free agency. Nix is right, pay to keep your own guys, build through the draft, and get a few good guys that can help through FA. Anyone that wants lots of big name FAs, I would argue, doesn't know how to win.

Ugh...I just had ESPN radio on and in the hard news section, they referred to Sanchez as "Sanchize", a nickname for him in NYC. To me, that's unprofessional. That belongs in commentary, not news.

Welcome to ESPN News. Now reporting your message board posts 24/7.

Ugh...I just had ESPN radio on and in the hard news section, they referred to Sanchez as "Sanchize", a nickname for him in NYC. To me, that's unprofessional. That belongs in commentary, not news.

ESPN = Entertainment and Sports Programming Network

What gave you the idea that is was a news network?

Even true news networks do this kind of thing to much more serious situations.

And it's true.

I don't know how else anyone can describe this past decade other than ultimately a lack of commitment to winning from the owner. Donahoe was a mistake (as are those 2 still hanging around at OBD in Modrak and Guy), Levy has now proven to be an error at GM, and Brandon should never have touched the football side of the operation- if even for a season.

Now, Donahoe may have been hot potatoes when he left Pittsburgh, but we have since learned that he was practically chased out of Pittsburgh, and was not such a wonder boy every one was thinking he was. We also learned that Levy was a stop-gap measure at first to help guide the team back to respectability, but then Ralph goes out and reorganizes the front office putting the finance and contract guy in charge of the salaries and negotiating in Jim Overdorf. People in the know seem to indicate that he was the true Dark Lord of the Sith that was rotting the team from the inside with his ego and decision making.

Let's see, no real GM, nobody up-and-coming in the front office, horrible scouting and drafting by Modrak and co., horrible free agent signings by Guy, Overdorf playing hardball with the few and far between draft picks that truly did blossom into something (Winfield, Williams, and Fletcher as a free agent), and to top it all off...nothing even remotely close to a plan on how to build or even having a QB in the wings.

Yep, sounds like Mularkey was right.

No commitment to winning.

The Bills HAVE been horribly mismanaged since Butler left. I understand that Butler, Smith, and Nix had the Bills awash in player contracts long after those players left, but Butler also had the Bills in the playoffs. There has been nothing since then.

Nothing but mediocrity.

Not only that, but then the former players come out in Kelly and Thomas and stress how 'NOW' Ralph wants to win. 'NOW' Ralph realizes that he wants a winning football team in WNY again.

Excuse me, but WHAT THE HECK HAS HE BEEN THINKING FOR THE PAST DECADE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I think that's something people aren't considering. The Bills are actually targeting the top prospects out there. They started with the top out of work guys - Gruden, Holmgren, Shanny, Cowher. Obviously, those guys are going to be selective. They have lots of options and money is no longer a priority. So, its not surprising to have them turn the job down (even though 2 considered it). You would think it would be an indication that the Bills want to win, but apparently not.

Then they've gone to the top OC/DC that are on playoff teams. So, yeah, those guys have to be a little careful. But, more importantly, they're all on teams that are close to a SuperBowl. It's entirely possible that a young guy like Schotty would want to stick with the Jets a few more years, have a chance at a SB. However, an older guy like Frazier, who's window to become a HC is smaller, could be more willing to make the move. Again, though, talking to some of the top assistant coaches would on the surface appear to mean the Bills want to win. Apparently not.

The surprise to me is JH in Stanford. That kinda came out of left field last night. Not only was this guy interviewed, with no one knowing anything about it, but he was offered the job and turned it down. All while no one knew anything about it. Maybe he turned it down because he sees his conference opening up with Carroll leaving, maybe he has a contract he can't get out of. I don't really know. But, again, the Bills, reportedly, go after one of the top college coaching prospects and again it's not seen as an indication that they want to win.

In my estimation, everything they're doing this off season indicates that they want to win. But, based on what someone from 5, 10, 15 years ago said?? we all know they're not committed to winning. Or is it based on speculation and rumors from fired employees that did absolutely nothing to help the team win?

I know... it's because they won't pay for players. I guess TO, Dockery, Walker, Mitchel were all scrubs that were paid pennies on the dollar. The Bills' problem is they've been paying for the wrong players, not that they're not paying for FAs. If a coach really wants more than 1-2 key FA signings a year - I don't want them here. One thing is certain, you can't build a winning team through free agency. Nix is right, pay to keep your own guys, build through the draft, and get a few good guys that can help through FA. Anyone that wants lots of big name FAs, I would argue, doesn't know how to win.

your post indicates you have fallen hook,line and sinker for the latest Russ Brandon propaganda extraganza.

Talk is cheap

and Russ uses this inexpensive medium to his full advantage. Since interviews and alleged interviews don't cost anything, the Bills can talk a good game of pursuing top flight HC candidates. The talk you don't hear about is the actual commitment to winning, which needs to include

1. a top flight front office with NFL caliber scouting dept and talent evaluators (past 10 years show that the Bills severely lack in this dept and naming Nix the GM while retaining the status quo everywhere else shows a firm grasp on mediocrity, not a commitment to putting the best product on field)

2. Control - coaches see a decade of bad decisions and want enough say in the operations to control their own destiny. Ralph wants a yes man

3. Winning - Coaches want to win, not pad Ralph's bottom line. This organization has consistently shown to be more concerned with increasing profits at the expense of contending for championships. Any coach with half a brain sees that giving up home field advantage to play a key division "home" game during a playoff run in a foreign country is not a team committed to "winning on the field".

4. Meddling --Good coaches know they are good and their methods work. They don't need to have a meddling owner and his baseball marketing guy trying to run the show from the back seat.

5. Budget - As we have seen, the coordinators and their staff are just as important as the HC. Ralph has always shortchanged the coaching staff and this has only gotten worse as the game has gotten more specialized. Teams like the Dolphins have separate coaches for the inside and outside LBs. The Bills, on the other hand, start with a smaller staff and fire their OC a week before the season and play the entire season shorthanded.

Obviously the good coaches can read between the lines, because they sure aren't buying what Russ is selling about the Bills commitment to winning

BTW- the above is also why the Bills don't have a real NFL GM

If the Bengals could hire the top assistant at the time (Marvin Lewis) why would this be the reason the Bills can't catch one. I think that because there are more "big-name coaches" unemployed out there, and there were a few coaching positions open, it made the Bills look bad (those are all looking for the glamour jobs, and there are some desirable jobs out there, plus a TV job pays pretty well these days). No it isn't the best job out there, but now the situation is gaining a life of it's own (due to the mentioned circumstances) because of the way the media thrives on exaggeration. It will be fine.

There are good coaches available. Frankly, I'm more concerned with getting better players on the roster (a QB is essential, and probably a big reason why a none of the big names want to come here). That is a drafting problem....