interesting Scientology post I read

Pete

thats something that is prevalent in every religion. there is always a faction that take it too far. and usually, no matter what the religion, the cult works out the same way. it has more to do with human nature and insecurity than whichever religion these particular people use as a tool to manipulate others.

one interesting thing to remember about scientology (and that guy touched on it) is that it started as a kind of self-help clinic. kind of like a tony robbins thing. except their tony robbins also wrote sci-fi. and when L Ron died, that gave the business the technicalities it needed to call itself a religion and not have to pay taxes.

when i learned that a while back, it gave me a new perspective on it. and like all religions, there are some good points, and (thanks to the human factor) there are lots of bad points.

thats something that is prevalent in every religion. there is always a faction that take it too far. and usually, no matter what the religion, the cult works out the same way. it has more to do with human nature and insecurity than whichever religion these particular people use as a tool to manipulate others.

one interesting thing to remember about scientology (and that guy touched on it) is that it started as a kind of self-help clinic. kind of like a tony robbins thing. except their tony robbins also wrote sci-fi. and when L Ron died, that gave the business the technicalities it needed to call itself a religion and not have to pay taxes.

when i learned that a while back, it gave me a new perspective on it. and like all religions, there are some good points, and (thanks to the human factor) there are lots of bad points.

That's why I'm a fan of personal religion, rather than organized religion. I saw an interesting (and amazingly creepy) video on youtube about some of the more mysterious deaths involving scientologists, I'll see if I can find it.

???. Religions suck period. All of them.

The difference between Scientology and a real religion like Christianity or Judaism is that the core principles of Judaism or Christianity are intrinsically good (Do onto others as you would like done onto you and stuff like that) But the big issue with organized religion is that some take the power that goes with it too far. Sure a church will try to instill values into you and get you to donate money but they won't try to steal your kids away from you or enlist you into a forced labor camp like Scientology.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely and religious leaders were corrupted by that power and turned a religion whose principles were peaceful and tolerant into something it shouldn't have been. Scientology was a money making ego trip by El Ron Hubbard. Scientology is a cult not a religion which has no redeeming value or peaceful core principles.

Scientology is just a cult that needs to be investigated by the FBI that post is just a number of stories that have been for the most part validated. I also heard a rumor that the reason celebs join the cult is because they do the service of hiding the fact that they are gay from the public.

The difference between Scientology and a real religion like Christianity or Judaism is that the core principles of Judaism or Christianity are intrinsically good (Do onto others as you would like done onto you and stuff like that) But the big issue with organized religion is that some take the power that goes with it too far. Sure a church will try to instill values into you and get you to donate money but they won't try to steal your kids away from you or enlist you into a forced labor camp like Scientology.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely and religious leaders were corrupted by that power and turned a religion whose principles were peaceful and tolerant into something it shouldn't have been. Scientology was a money making ego trip by El Ron Hubbard. Scientology is a cult not a religion which has no redeeming value or peaceful core principles.

Scientology is just a cult that needs to be investigated by the FBI that post is just a number of stories that have been for the most part validated. I also heard a rumor that the reason celebs join the cult is because they do the service of hiding the fact that they are gay from the public.

keep in mind here that i am not a scientologist, nor am i defending scientology, but Im curious as how you define a "real religion". by many definitions it has all the proper requirements. and every religion has its group of extremists that participate in very similar cults. why wouldnt you consider it a real religion? or were you just drawing a distinction between the old ones that everyone is familiar with and therefore their crazy ideas are tolerated?

also, what ARE scientology's core principles? i ask because im not familiar. i thought that it was a self-affirmation, positive-living type thing?

keep in mind here that i am not a scientologist, nor am i defending scientology, but Im curious as how you define a "real religion". by many definitions it has all the proper requirements. and every religion has its group of extremists that participate in very similar cults. why wouldnt you consider it a real religion? or were you just drawing a distinction between the old ones that everyone is familiar with and therefore their crazy ideas are tolerated?

also, what ARE scientology's core principles? i ask because im not familiar. i thought that it was a self-affirmation, positive-living type thing?

Scientology is a cult

did you read the original post? It is a first hand account about what a sham scientology is

Well...it starts with Xenu bringing millions of aliens to earth, dumping them on top of active volcanoes, and then detonating hydrogen bombs to kill them, leaving their spirits to haunt human bodies and causing us all sorts of problems.

Then it gets weird.

Well...it starts with Xenu bringing millions of aliens to earth, dumping them on top of active volcanoes, and then detonating hydrogen bombs to kill them, leaving their spirits to haunt human bodies and causing us all sorts of problems.

Then it gets weird.

I know another one where a guy built a boat big enough for every animal on the planet because god made a flood to kill everyone except for the boat creatures.

I know another one where a guy built a boat big enough for every animal on the planet because god made a flood to kill everyone except for the boat creatures.

:thumbsup: Where do they come up with this stuff?

The big difference is that the bible and all other major religions texts were written thousands of years ago when mans understanding of science wasn't that good. So yeah the stories of the bible sound pretty out there but put them in context of when they were written and its not that bad.

Now Scientology's "Sacred" texts were written in the middle 20th century by a science fiction writer. Now circa 1950 there was a much greater understanding of science and how the world works and came to be and Hubbard pretty much wrote a book crazier then the bible which was written thousands of years ago and at least had few good morals to teach.