Jerome Bettis: Cowher waiting for Giants' job

Punch

I am on record as vehemently disagreeing with people who say we should pick up Fox if Cowher somehow ends up as coach of the Panthers. I really dislike Fox.

Now, Coughlin on the other hand, I would hire as coach in a happy second if he were available.

In fact, if Coughlin and Cowher were both available at the same time and clamoring for the Bills job (hey, I can dream), I would hire Coughlin.

He's had success with two different teams and rarely fields an under-500 club. Cowher's done it in one place and it took him a decade to get there.

I am on record as vehemently disagreeing with people who say we should pick up Fox if Cowher somehow ends up as coach of the Panthers. I really dislike Fox.

Now, Coughlin on the other hand, I would hire as coach in a happy second if he were available.

In fact, if Coughlin and Cowher were both available at the same time and clamoring for the Bills job (hey, I can dream), I would hire Coughlin.

He's had success with two different teams and rarely fields an under-500 club. Cowher's done it in one place and it took him a decade to get there.

First, love the avatar...great movie, top 10 in my all time list.

Second, totally agree. I would in no way be dissapointed with Cowher, but Coughlin is top coach in this league and the level of discipline and hard nosed practices is just what this panzy azz team needs right now. Its like we are made out of glass or something...

If he's actually holding out for a job that's not open and that may not be open for several years.... well, Simon's right. He's an idiot and horrible at making decisions.

Statements like that puzzle me. Lets assume the Giants thing is true. Chin has had a successful coaching career, and currently has a cushy job on CBS now. The Giants are a team where he is comfortable with the ownership and has wanted to coach in the past. I think it's fair to say that they have a decent, mature QB, as well as talent in other positions. And are in a big market so money should not be a huge issue.

So after the 8-8 season the Giants just had, and comments to the press from the owner saying he wasn't happy with the situation, plus whatever contact the Giants owner and Chin may have had (officially or unofficially). Cowher is "an idiot and horrible at making decisions" because he didn't take a (being generous) less than ideal situation in Buffalo instead of waiting for his dream position in NYC?

Please explain this to me.

Statements like that puzzle me. Lets assume the Giants thing is true. Chin has had a successful coaching career, and currently has a cushy job on CBS now. The Giants are a team where he is comfortable with the ownership and has wanted to coach in the past. I think it's fair to say that they have a decent, mature QB, as well as talent in other positions. And are in a big market so money should not be a huge issue.

So after the 8-8 season the Giants just had, and comments to the press from the owner saying he wasn't happy with the situation, plus whatever contact the Giants owner and Chin may have had (officially or unofficially). Cowher is "an idiot and horrible at making decisions" because he didn't take a (being generous) less than ideal situation in Buffalo instead of waiting for his dream position in NYC?

Please explain this to me.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

You're a coach. You want to coach. And you pass on a job being offered, that would pay quite well for a job that may not even open up for several years, if then? Who's to say Coughlin isn't there coaching for another 5 years. Then Cowher looks back and rather than doing something he loves, he's been biding his time.

Typically stupid sports "reporting." Complete total speculative garbage based on nothing else but Bettis's....opinion. Jerome Bettis works in the sports media, I think, at least sometimes, perhaps on NFL network? I don't know, I think I've seen him on some talk shows. If Cowher ends up taking over in Carolina should Fox get fired, or San Diego if the Jets upset the Chargers this weekend and Smith tosses out Norv, or Dallas if the Vikings blow them out somehow and Jones finally dumps Wade, just how damn ignorant will that make Bettis look? I read the link. Bettis was talking as if he is Cowhers' agent, or Bill Cowher himself....basically guaranteeing us all that its' Giants or nothing. Hillarious.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

You're a coach. You want to coach. And you pass on a job being offered, that would pay quite well for a job that may not even open up for several years, if then? Who's to say Coughlin isn't there coaching for another 5 years. Then Cowher looks back and rather than doing something he loves, he's been biding his time.

And if he takes the Bills job and the Giants one opens after next season and he isn't available?

Money is not a strong motivator for people that already have it. Plus the CBS job isn't paying peanuts.

Not sure he'd "love" the job in Buffalo for the reasons in numerous threads already.

I see where you are coming from, I just disagree with your logic.

Why do you dislike Fox? He was a successful coordinator and is a successful head coach.

I wouldn't be surprised if some small part of that is true, basically that he would be very interested in the Giants job if it came open, and he might be hoping that it does in the next year or two.

But if he had already decided to wait for the Giants, he would have told the Bills he wasn't interested by now. There would be no reason not to.

Something else is holding up his decision for this year. I don't know what it is - obviously - but it probably has to do with possible openings THIS YEAR. It's a reasonable guess that when he knows the status of all 32 coaching situations for the year, he will make up his mind.