Why is everyone so Ga Ga over Grimm?

DarthICE

From reading his background the guy was an all world OLineman, and a damn good OL coach....and that's it. I don't read anywhere where he has ran an offense, defense or even a special teams as a coordinator. Yeah he has been named assistant HC but so what? So was Bobby April who was at least a coordinator.

So honestly, other than maybe shoring up the OL, what does this guy honestly bring to the table? He has been passed over at least twice for HC jobs and now is OL coach for his former OC from Pittsburgh.

I mean wouldn't we want someone who at least was a coordinator of some sorts?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

From reading his background the guy was an all world OLineman, and a damn good OL coach....and that's it. I don't read anywhere where he has ran an offense, defense or even a special teams as a coordinator. Yeah he has been named assistant HC but so what? So was Bobby April who was at least a coordinator.

So honestly, other than maybe shoring up the OL, what does this guy honestly bring to the table? He has been passed over at least twice for HC jobs and now is OL coach for his former OC from Pittsburgh.

I mean wouldn't we want someone who at least was a coordinator of some sorts?

Well, with Cowher, Harbaugh, and the Schotts seemingly out of the picture, and Frazier a Tampa 2 guy, I am now officially in the Russ Grimm camp. My reason is simple: Toughness.

Toughness is perhaps the biggest thing this team has been missing in recent years. From that I have seen about Grimm, he's a tough SOB. And I think he'd fit in well in Buffalo.

True, he would have to hire experienced and knowledgeable coordinators. But other head coaches have been successful without first serving as offensive or defensive coordinators. I think Grimm would be a good tone-setter as the head guy.

And don't discount or minimize what his impact could be on our lines. The guy knows line play. And if you have good a good O-line and a good D-line, you're well on your way to becoming a good team.

Well, with Cowher, Harbaugh, and the Schotts seemingly out of the picture, and Frazier a Tampa 2 guy, I am now officially in the Russ Grimm camp. My reason is simple: Toughness.

Toughness is perhaps the biggest thing this team has been missing in recent years. From that I have seen about Grimm, he's a tough SOB. And I think he'd fit in well in Buffalo.

True, he would have to hire experienced and knowledgeable coordinators. But other head coaches have been successful without first serving as offensive or defensive coordinators. I think Grimm would be a good tone-setter as the head guy.

And don't discount or minimize what his impact could be on our lines. The guy knows line play. And if you have good a good O-line and a good D-line, you're well on your way to becoming a good team.

OK good....toughness. And he knows how to prepare an entire team how? The guy hasn't even been entrusted to run one entire side of the ball since becoming a coach.

Sorry folks but he has been a coach this long and hasn't even been hired to coordinate. That to me is a big red flag but hey, this is Buffalo we will clamor for anyone willing to interview for the job right?

OK good....toughness. And he knows how to prepare an entire team how? The guy hasn't even been entrusted to run one entire side of the ball since becoming a coach.

Sorry folks but he has been a coach this long and hasn't even been hired to coordinate. That to me is a big red flag but hey, this is Buffalo we will clamor for anyone willing to interview for the job right?

People only like him because they have heard of him for years as a player/coach. He wouldn't be bad, but he's far from the sure thing everyone makes him out to be. He's not a demonstratively better candidate than Frazier or anyone else. In fact, Frazier is probably more qualified. He's been a coordinator for years to good effect.

People only like him because they have heard of him for years as a player/coach. He wouldn't be bad, but he's far from the sure thing everyone makes him out to be. He's not a demonstratively better candidate than Frazier or anyone else. In fact, Frazier is probably more qualified. He's been a coordinator for years to good effect.

Exactly. Right now Frazier is the ONLY legit candidate out there. It would be seen as a decent (not good) Hiring by our front office. Problem is we will ruin him like we have others by giving him **** to work with considering this is the same front office of assclowns running the draft etc.

Grimm isnt coming here, niether is schotty SR or JR, or Cowher,or Billick, face it folks it will be Frazier,just hope he can get an OC who can put together a good line and strong running game or the playoffs may never again be an option for Bills as long as they are in Buffalo, War 10 more years of Dick Jauron style ball.

John Harbaugh wasn't a coordinator, and he's been doing ok for the Ravens. Does that mean Grimm will be a good head coach? No. But it does show you can succeed without having experience as a coordinator.

Exactly. Right now Frazier is the ONLY legit candidate out there. It would be seen as a decent (not good) Hiring by our front office. Problem is we will ruin him like we have others by giving him **** to work with considering this is the same front office of assclowns running the draft etc.

My only problem with Frazier is his history with the Tampa 2 defense, which I loathe. Other than that, he's fine.

Hey Darth, how is that John Fox character looking right about now? :lol:

Alas, I am sure that even he has shot down the idea behind the scenes... :thumbdown:

But I bet you would have him over Frazier and Grimm, No?

It it's a straight line that the best position coaches make good coordinators and the best coordinators make good coaches. Payton, Caldwell, Harbaugh, and Andy Reid were all promoted to their current jobs from position coaching roles (though Payton had previous OC experience).

He is also assistant head coach, which does mean something (apparently not to the Bills though as April had the same distinction and didn't get the interim job). The biggest problem with our team is our putrid o-line. He would need to bring in good coordinators with him, but he made Gandy look halfway decent, and has done an incredible job with a lack of talent on the Cards line. He he can come in to Buffalo and bring toughness, and develop the lineman we have, and draft/FA, I think that alone would help us dramatically.

Never been a coordinator, so what. That's why you hire coordinators and trust them to do their job. He needs to be a tough minded leader of men. A guy who can motivate and put guys in position to succeed. He sounds like a competitive guy that won't take crap from anyone. Is there any guarantee that he will be great, of course not, but there is no formula for a great coach. He was a great player that understands you need to be successful in the trenches. He has been around some great coaching staffs and has seen Cowher and Gibbs in action and probably learned from them.