Apartment Searching

CountDorkula

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you looked at an apartment complex? As long as you can demonstrate you can pay the rent & put down 1-2 months security, they'll rent to you. I think your problem is you're trying to find an apartment on the cheap, so you're going to homes where people see someone your age & figure you're out of there in a year or 2. Worse, they see 2 guys and figure it's twice as likely one will move out and the other won't be able to afford the rent. They want someone who won't move because every time they change tenants it costs them money. Apartment complexes don't care as much about the turnover. Someone who owns a 2 family house is living on the edge if they lose a tenant.

Then again... Houses are super cheap... I have seen houses that were going for almost 200k down to well below 100k.

Heck, I can find a house here in a very tolerable and liveable area for under 50k.

Christ.. If you have a job and a stash of cash in the 401k... Who needs the mortgage company, borrow against yourself.

..the only place in cali that you could find for under 100 would be a shack in the country near bakersfield...even with the tanked housing mkt here

Hey All,

I am currently searching for my first apartment with a buddy of mine, there is just one problem. I am stereotyped as the average 23 year old male who loves to party. Dont get me wrong i do love me some drinks but im just getting frusturated.

No Apartment will take me seriously, I have a full time and make decent money, but still because im young i get looked donw up on.

I am serching in the western New York area (Hamburg, Lackawana, OP, Buffalo(Downtown area-ish)

Can anyone provide me any advice. with what to do, where to go, how to convince people to let me rent.

Thanks,

J

Wear a suit?

HAHA no im expecting to pay about 350 a month rent + utilities.

Seriously Dork, and I'm also trying to push my son in this direction: BUY!!!

You can buy any number of doubles in Lackawanna, South Buffalo and Kaisertown for the same amount of money per month with virtually nothing down. Taxes are only like $100 per month. Between the rent and tax advantages you will be in there dirt cheap, especially if you also charge your roomie too. You can live there 3-5 years and sell/move, or keep it as an income. You will probably not see much in appreciation though.

Why pay rent and make someone else rich? And you then may never be able to get out of the rent cycle

Have you looked at an apartment complex? As long as you can demonstrate you can pay the rent & put down 1-2 months security, they'll rent to you. I think your problem is you're trying to find an apartment on the cheap, so you're going to homes where people see someone your age & figure you're out of there in a year or 2. Worse, they see 2 guys and figure it's twice as likely one will move out and the other won't be able to afford the rent. They want someone who won't move because every time they change tenants it costs them money. Apartment complexes don't care as much about the turnover. Someone who owns a 2 family house is living on the edge if they lose a tenant.

Yea, i have looked and it is ture though complex seems more willing to listen to me.

You can buy any number of doubles in Lackawanna, South Buffalo and Kaisertown for the same amount of money per month with virtually nothing down. Taxes are only like $100 per month. Between the rent and tax advantages you will be in there dirt cheap, especially if you also charge your roomie too. You can live there 3-5 years and sell/move, or keep it as an income. You will probably not see much in appreciation though.

Why pay rent and make someone else rich? And you then may never be able to get out of the rent cycle

I have seriously thought about this several times. I think its a great idea. Just to say i bought a house at 23 and fixed it up myself. Then like you said in a few years i can turn around and sell it, and make a profit (hopefully) Thanks!

Landlords that were saying no probably didn't want this happening in their places:

White_Trash_Puking1.jpg

Can't say that I blame them!

Glad you found a place!

Thought I did, When i was about to sign on i was told rent was probably goign up by 50 a month and it could increase to a higher amount! Needless to say i backed out of that situation. The landlord was real sketch anyways.

That sounds rosy but will he have the cash if the the hot water heater , or the furnace quits to make repairs? What if the roof leaks? What is the gas and water bill like? Trash bill?

Renting is not always bad.