Bills need a HEAD coach

extrahammer

As many coordinators the Bills have hired over the past nearly 15 years, I think this was Ralph's chance to finally put his money where his mouth is. Every little NFL insider from John Clayton to Pat Moran were joyfully proclaiming that Ralph would "do whatever it takes and money won't matter" and bring a coach in to right this ship. Now after nearly 3 months of that kind of talk, Ralph is backing up and going after coordinators again. I certainly hope that kind of mularkey doesn't apply to first time head coaches and he doesn't sign Frazier for $10 million a year!

Who cares if a Super Bowl winning coach has never won a Super Bowl with 2 seperate teams. The fact is, they have and they know what it takes. And they would apply the same methodology with the Bills as their Super Bowl team.

Say what you want about Bill Cowher: "he had other people making decisions, blah blah blah" The bottom line is he made the playoffs 10 out of 15 years in Pittsburg. I don't care if it was good karma or just dumb luck, either way the Bills need it.

You don't make the playoffs 10 out of 15 years and NOT learn anything about winning, building the right team, etc.

And so what if he's our coach and we don't win a Super Bowl during his tenure, at least we know we'll be a contender again. You can't say that about any other positional coach, coordinator, or whomever.

All the heresay about how Frazier's the next great head coach doesn't mean anything to me. People around the league still say Jauron is a good head coach, so you make the judgement on that one.

Ralph has had a great chance to really redeem himself and this organization, however, I feel once again he's dropping the ball.

:D

Seriously...I hate the arguments against Cowher, Schottenheimer, Shanahan, etc. because "they're unlikely to win another Superbowl". I just want a coach to run the team the right way on & off the field and gain respectability back for the franchise. I want the Superbowl, too...but let's catch the ball before we start running with it.

As many coordinators the Bills have hired over the past nearly 15 years, I think this was Ralph's chance to finally put his money where his mouth is. Every little NFL insider from John Clayton to Pat Moran were joyfully proclaiming that Ralph would "do whatever it takes and money won't matter" and bring a coach in to right this ship. Now after nearly 3 months of that kind of talk, Ralph is backing up and going after coordinators again. I certainly hope that kind of mularkey doesn't apply to first time head coaches and he doesn't sign Frazier for $10 million a year!

Who cares if a Super Bowl winning coach has never won a Super Bowl with 2 seperate teams. The fact is, they have and they know what it takes. And they would apply the same methodology with the Bills as their Super Bowl team.

Say what you want about Bill Cowher: "he had other people making decisions, blah blah blah" The bottom line is he made the playoffs 10 out of 15 years in Pittsburg. I don't care if it was good karma or just dumb luck, either way the Bills need it.

You don't make the playoffs 10 out of 15 years and NOT learn anything about winning, building the right team, etc.

And so what if he's our coach and we don't win a Super Bowl during his tenure, at least we know we'll be a contender again. You can't say that about any other positional coach, coordinator, or whomever.

All the heresay about how Frazier's the next great head coach doesn't mean anything to me. People around the league still say Jauron is a good head coach, so you make the judgement on that one.

Ralph has had a great chance to really redeem himself and this organization, however, I feel once again he's dropping the ball.

What part of being turned down by Shanahan, Cowher and Gruden don't you get? The Bills made an honest attempt at all of these guys. This team simply does not have a QB situation that would make them feel comfortable that they'd eventually have success here. It's clearly just not an attractive enough job even for a boat load of money.

So you have to just accept that the Bills will have to find coaching success from the NFL assistants. Look at it this way, usually the Bills would never have a shot at the "top" assistants, this year they have the pick of the litter.

What part of being turned down by Shanahan, Cowher and Gruden don't you get? The Bills made an honest attempt at all of these guys. This team simply does not have a QB situation that would make them feel comfortable that they'd eventually have success here. It's clearly just not an attractive enough job even for a boat load of money.

So you have to just accept that the Bills will have to find coaching success from the NFL assistants. Look at it this way, usually the Bills would never have a shot at the "top" assistants, this year they have the pick of the litter.

Is that why Joe Gibbs returned to coaching? Not the boat load of money but because a great QB was in place? Give me a break.

Money talks to anyone. Period.

I've got to agree with you. We were teased with hopes of bringing in a proven winner. Now it's looking like our next head coach will be a typical, textbook Ralph Wilson hire...

- No NFL head-coaching experience.

- Can be signed at the low end of HC salaries. Therefore his assistants will be paid at the low end as well.

- Won't rock the boat on personnel decisions.

- Will be in over his head the AFC East.

- The front office will polish and present the new "candidate", say he was their man all along (even though they have been linked to 37 candidates before his name popped up) and 85% of the fan base will have kool aid dripping down their chin because they can't gulp it down fast enough!

Money talks to anyone. Period.

It's fairly obvious by now, and should be even more so if Cowher declines, that this is not always the case.

Even at the peon level like me, I took a job for less money than I was currently making to get a better quality of life situation.

Look at the new Redskins HC, he apparently took less money than the Bills were offering to go there.

Not always is money the be all end all of every decision.

I totally agree that they need to get it right this time, hire experience as a winner, stay away from coordinators who have never been a head coach in the NFL. The only dispute with your statement that has me in disbelief are the words "do whatever it takes and money won't matter" and Ralph's name in the same chapter of the same book much less the same sentence.

I totally agree that they need to get it right this time, hire experience as a winner, stay away from coordinators who have never been a head coach in the NFL. The only dispute with your statement that has me in disbelief are the words "do whatever it takes and money won't matter" and Ralph's name in the same chapter of the same book much less the same sentence.

Wake and smell the coffee, these "big name" HC's want to walk into a situation similar to what they left. Buffalo does not offer that situation. Money is not the problem, desire by the HC is. Shanny thinks he has everything in place with the skins, we shall see. Cowher IMHO is holding out for Fox to leave Carolina or Del Rio in Jax.

(As an aside the team needs to determine the cause of all our injuries. With a team that does not lose over half its starters each year to IR we may actually make the playoffs. )

It's fairly obvious by now, and should be even more so if Cowher declines, that this is not always the case.

Even at the peon level like me, I took a job for less money than I was currently making to get a better quality of life situation.

Look at the new Redskins HC, he apparently took less money than the Bills were offering to go there.

Not always is money the be all end all of every decision.

But, but, but.....hire a big name coach! Throw money @ 'em and they'll sign.

AMEN!

This team needs a leader that has been there. Cohwer, Martz, Fassel, Billick fit the ticket. My pick is Billick, won a Superbowl with an average QB. Since we don't have a great QB yet, Billick is the best choice, he can lead with a great defense and running the football. That will lead the Bills to the promise land. we already have a line that can run block and a great RB in Jackson who can also catch. Sounds like a perfect marriage.

Brian Billick fits your response perfect and he would come. He has won a superbowl with Trent Dilfer. I am sure the Bills can come up with a serviceable QB, Fitz already fits the bill. NO assistants, I would have bet Lewis, Crennel, Weis would have been successful but so far the have been mostly flops. Lewis came close this year but failed way to many times and was embarrased twice in a row by the Jets. the Jets lost to the Bills coached by Jauron. Hire proven experience. Billick, Fassel, Martz, Sherman would all come to Buffalo if offered a interview.

I understand the desire to have a "proven" winning coach in Buffalo...I get it, I really do. It would make most of us feel, well, comfortable because that coach comes with some assurance and history of winning. And I don't buy into the idea that just because no other coach has ever won 2 Super Bowls with two different teams that it can't be done either.... BUT, the truth is, we want a proven winning coach because it makes us FEEL better, there are very few if any statistics to show that a previously winning coach is a major contributing factor to a franchise winning with that same coach, in fact in just my humble recollection that only coaches that come to mind to have won a Super Bowl or Championship with one team and then been relatively successful with a 2nd team are: Shula (Colts and Dolphins) and Holmgren (Packers and Seahawks)....let's not forget that Bellicheat was a LOSER of a coach prior to going to the Patriots, now we can digress into all sorts of arguments as to why he started winning in N.E., but the fact is they won 3 Super Bowls in less than 10 years and made the playoffs for 9 out of 10 seasons and before N.E. he was TERRIBLE....my point you ask? Simply this, originally I wanted a NAME....now I want a COACH....I personally would prefer an offensive minded coach for the obvious reasons and I think in todays NFL it might actually be a little easier to find a good Defensive Coordinator over an inventive, creative, articulate, and charismatic leader for an Offensive Coordinator...but that's just IMO.....we do need a Coach, I just want one that will win....consistently....

On another topic, I think I understand now why Modrak and Guy have been retained. It's not for their assessment value or even because of their contract, but do we realize that every day that passes we lose ground on our ability to scout the NFL ready talent at the collegiate ranks? And that coupled with the fact that the BILLS don't want to rush their coaching search, their keeping the guys who can COLLECT the data and provide reports and updates, but WON'T make the personnnel decisions, so it's a way of keeping the information gathering and yet still take their time with the coaching decision.....if that's why their doing it, then it makes sense.....if not....then I'm all out of ideas!

I understand the desire to have a "proven" winning coach in Buffalo...I get it, I really do. It would make most of us feel, well, comfortable because that coach comes with some assurance and history of winning. And I don't buy into the idea that just because no other coach has ever won 2 Super Bowls with two different teams that it can't be done either.... BUT, the truth is, we want a proven winning coach because it makes us FEEL better, there are very few if any statistics to show that a previously winning coach is a major contributing factor to a franchise winning with that same coach, in fact in just my humble recollection that only coaches that come to mind to have won a Super Bowl or Championship with one team and then been relatively successful with a 2nd team are: Shula (Colts and Dolphins) and Holmgren (Packers and Seahawks)....let's not forget that Bellicheat was a LOSER of a coach prior to going to the Patriots, now we can digress into all sorts of arguments as to why he started winning in N.E., but the fact is they won 3 Super Bowls in less than 10 years and made the playoffs for 9 out of 10 seasons and before N.E. he was TERRIBLE....my point you ask? Simply this, originally I wanted a NAME....now I want a COACH....I personally would prefer an offensive minded coach for the obvious reasons and I think in todays NFL it might actually be a little easier to find a good Defensive Coordinator over an inventive, creative, articulate, and charismatic leader for an Offensive Coordinator...but that's just IMO.....we do need a Coach, I just want one that will win....consistently....

On another topic, I think I understand now why Modrak and Guy have been retained. It's not for their assessment value or even because of their contract, but do we realize that every day that passes we lose ground on our ability to scout the NFL ready talent at the collegiate ranks? And that coupled with the fact that the BILLS don't want to rush their coaching search, their keeping the guys who can COLLECT the data and provide reports and updates, but WON'T make the personnnel decisions, so it's a way of keeping the information gathering and yet still take their time with the coaching decision.....if that's why their doing it, then it makes sense.....if not....then I'm all out of ideas!

This response is far too logical. It has no business being a part of the mass school girl hysteria that is this board.

:wallbash:

Weren't Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey considered top notch apprentices at the time?

No matter the head coach, they'd have a rough ride here in 2010. An apprentice will have a more difficult ride in year one... but I don't expect miracles from anyone... one look at this roster and it's Swiss cheese. Not just the coaching staff, front office is going to have to make smart moves at every turn in the road. Recovering from all these sh**** drafts for a decade will take time.

I don't want an experienced winning head coach to make me feel better, I want one becuase I think the odds are better that he will produce wins. I want a COACH too. A HEAD COACH. It's a different skill set than a co ordinator or position coach. I want someone whose run a team through mini camps, off season condiditoning, training camp. preseason, regular season, and post season. Not someone whose learning as he goes along.

There have been othe coaches who have won Conference championships with multiple teams. You mention Holmgren and Schula. There's also Vermiel, Parcells, and Reeves and maybe otheres I can't think of right now. Add in the number that have won playoff games with multiple teams and list gets bigger. Add J Johnson, Marty Schottemhiemer, Tom Coughlin, George Allen, Chuck Knox (I think), My point is that there have been many successful winning coaches who have moved to another team and repeated their success. That's what I want.

How are we supposed to know if one of these assistants would be a winning HC? They have no track record. At least we know for a fact that an experienced winning coach can win. Maybe he will or maybe he won't, but we at least know that he can. True, every HC was at one time an assistant. But for evey Jim Harbaugh or Childress, there are many more Cam Camerons, Scott Linnehans, Gregg Williamses, Mike Mularkerys, and David Schulas.

A proven winning coach like Billick or Martz or Sherman or Fassel will also help attract better assistants and FA players. If you're a FA player, do you want to sign and play for Eric Mangini, or Brian Billick? If you're an assistant, do you want to leave where you are to work for unproven Leslie Frazier or Jim Fassel?

Maybe Shanahan and Gruden have turned us down, but so far Cowher, Billick, Martz, and Fassel have not.

(Praying to football gods) Please send us a real Head Coach.

I don't want an experienced winning head coach to make me feel better, I want one becuase I think the odds are better that he will produce wins. I want a COACH too. A HEAD COACH. It's a different skill set than a co ordinator or position coach. I want someone whose run a team through mini camps, off season condiditoning, training camp. preseason, regular season, and post season. Not someone whose learning as he goes along.

There have been othe coaches who have won Conference championships with multiple teams. You mention Holmgren and Schula. There's also Vermiel, Parcells, and Reeves and maybe otheres I can't think of right now. Add in the number that have won playoff games with multiple teams and list gets bigger. Add J Johnson, Marty Schottemhiemer, Tom Coughlin, George Allen, Chuck Knox (I think), My point is that there have been many successful winning coaches who have moved to another team and repeated their success. That's what I want.

How are we supposed to know if one of these assistants would be a HC? They have no track record. At least we know for a fact that an experienced winning coach can win. Maybe he will or maybe he won't, but we at least know that he can. True, every HC was at one time an assistant. But for evey Jim Harbaugh or Childress, there are many more Cam Camerons, Scott Linnehans, Gregg Williamses, Mike Mularkerys, and David Schulas.

A proven winning coach like Billick or Martz or Sherman or Fassel will also help attract better assistants and FA players. If you're a FA player, do you want to sign and play for Eric Mangini, or Brian Billick? If you're an assistant, do you want to leave where you are to work for unproven Leslie Frazier or Jim Fassel?

Maybe Shanahan and Gruden have turned us down, but so far Cowher, Billick, Martz, and Fassel have not.

(Praying to football gods) Please send us a real Head Coach.

...and God said...let there be John Fox. And it was done, the people then rejoiced!

Weren't Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey considered top notch apprentices at the time?

I would definitely call them tier 2 level assistants at the time, but you can't solely blame them for their failures here. You need to hire a coaching STAFF, not just a head coach. We have never had a strong set of assistants here in Buffalo and that is what needs to change. I don't care who the head coach is really, he is only as strong as his staff.

If Bill Cowher was coaching with the staff that Williams and Mularkey had, he would not have been successful. The Bills have never had an assistant coach who has been seriously considered for another head coaching job since ted marchibroda. That tells me we have not had the talent level needed in the coaching ranks.

Somewhere in the mid to late 90's, the NFL became a coach's league. And the Bills consistently have one of the lowest paid coaching staffs in the league. If the Bills are sincere in their efforts to put more money into coaching salaries then it is at least a start in the right direction. We will know more in a month.

Everyone will be keeping an eye on who we hire as HC. But looking at who the assistants are will tell you a little bit more about whether or not things are changing at One Bills Drive.

:lol:

Seriously...I hate the arguments against Cowher, Schottenheimer, Shanahan, etc. because "they're unlikely to win another Superbowl". I just want a coach to run the team the right way on & off the field and gain respectability back for the franchise. I want the Superbowl, too...but let's catch the ball before we start running with it.

:wallbash:

Post of the Year...so far.

I would definitely call them tier 2 level assistants at the time, but you can't solely blame them for their failures here. You need to hire a coaching STAFF, not just a head coach. We have never had a strong set of assistants here in Buffalo and that is what needs to change. I don't care who the head coach is really, he is only as strong as his staff.

So Jerry Gray wasn't a good Defensive Coordinator? Should we just forget the fact that we had one of the top defenses in the league while he was here? Ranked 2nd overall in 04 and 05.

Considering what he had, Perry Fewell did a very exceptional job.

Steve Fairchild?

Kevin Gilbride?

Sam Wyche?

Minus the Titans playoff game, Bruce Dehaven has always fielded a nice special teams unit, regarded as one of the top in the league.

Bobby April? Don't forget he won Special teams coach of the year in 04 and 08.

Give me a break. We've had great unit and positional coaches here. It's just the guy that Ralph hired to call the shots sucked at it. Gregg Williams was power crazy, Mike Mularkey was Donahoe's puppet. Jauron was Wilson and Brandon's puppet.

I don't expect and don't care if we don't win a Super Bowl next year, but after a decade of crap, literally crap, percentage wise our best choice is to get a PROVEN guy. A guy who can at least lay down a solid and clear foundation to make us a contender again. And to where if he leaves, his protege can come in and assume the controls and continue to build a winning team. I don't care if it costs $12 million a year, Ralph owes it to the fans. As much as they've supported this team and continue to sellout home games after 10 years of no playoffs.

So Jerry Gray wasn't a good Defensive Coordinator? Should we just forget the fact that we had one of the top defenses in the league while he was here? Ranked 2nd overall in 04 and 05.

Considering what he had, Perry Fewell did a very exceptional job.

Steve Fairchild?

Kevin Gilbride?

Sam Wyche?

Minus the Titans playoff game, Bruce Dehaven has always fielded a nice special teams unit, regarded as one of the top in the league.

Bobby April? Don't forget he won Special teams coach of the year in 04 and 08.

Give me a break. We've had great unit and positional coaches here. It's just the guy that Ralph hired to call the shots sucked at it. Gregg Williams was power crazy, Mike Mularkey was Donahoe's puppet. Jauron was Wilson and Brandon's puppet.

I don't expect and don't care if we don't win a Super Bowl next year, but after a decade of crap, literally crap, percentage wise our best choice is to get a PROVEN guy. A guy who can at least lay down a solid and clear foundation to make us a contender again. And to where if he leaves, his protege can come in and assume the controls and continue to build a winning team. I don't care if it costs $12 million a year, Ralph owes it to the fans. As much as they've supported this team and continue to sellout home games after 10 years of no playoffs.

I did not say that we have not had ANY good assistant coaches. I said that the overall quality of the coaching staff has been generally very weak.

The guy you describe in your post sounds great. Too bad he doesn't want to come coach here. Both Mike Shanahan and Bill Cowher would have been great choices. All that the other former head coaches are going to do is come in here and do exactly what they have done previously in their careers and it probably isn't going to work again.

I'll take Brian Billick if he brings the entire Ravens defense with him. But then again, he didn't hire those defensive assistants, six of which have become NFL head coaches, or draft those players. Ozzie Newsome did.

This Bills need more than a head coach right now. They need organizational direction. That is going to come from the front office. If Cowher wants to come here, I'm all for it. Same thing with Shanahan.