why no Billick interest yet??

RocBillsfan

You cannot prove a single statement. You don't know what Nix is being paid. The Bills are always middle of the pack in player payroll in the NFL. And you can't prove Ralph is lying about spending what it takes to win now.

You, like so many others here, fixate on a couple of players leaving like Peters or Nate Clements and accuse Ralph of being cheap. Yet you ignore all the large contracts the Bills have given to players. Lee Evans is a recent example. Repeat any lie long enough and people will assume it's the truth.

Ralph has made some bad decisions and he has run the Bills on a budget until now, but to say he's cheap is a lie.

PTR

Wow you are living in a dreamland.

You think Nix is making 1/2 of what Polian makes? More like 1/5.

You think the DJ hire, MM hire and Greggo hires were not all made with an eye on the bottom line? You really think they cut Langston 4 days becasue they had to pay him because he was the worst OT guy we had?

Jeff Littman is no fool and he knows RWs mandate - save very possible dime.

But, by all means please keep the faith that RW is going to spend money to make the team what Buffalo deserves. I am much more prone to think, we need to get lucky for once with the cheapest coordinator also happening to be the best.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic has been talked about but not necessarily in these words but can any one shed any light why the Bills havent made a phone call to Brian Billick yet?

After all of the A-list coaches have been contacted such as Gruden, Shanny and Cowher, Billick would seem to make sense and gauge him and have an interview based on his success as a motivator and a Super Bowl winning coach. All we have heard is "he has had no contact with Buffalo". I guess he doesnt fit them huh? which looks like it.

Could be as simple as Nix doesn't care for him.

Wow you are living in a dreamland.

You think Nix is making 1/2 of what Polian makes? More like 1/5.

You think the DJ hire, MM hire and Greggo hires were not all made with an eye on the bottom line? You really think they cut Langston 4 days becasue they had to pay him because he was the worst OT guy we had?

Jeff Littman is no fool and he knows RWs mandate - save very possible dime.

But, by all means please keep the faith that RW is going to spend money to make the team what Buffalo deserves. I am much more prone to think, we need to get lucky for once with the cheapest coordinator also happening to be the best.

Where do you get such fractions??? You have no clue what Nix is paid, nor do any of us. This is absurd. This argument is absurd. :D

Where do you get such fractions??? You have no clue what Nix is paid, nor do any of us. This is absurd. This argument is absurd. :D

Yes ok, you're right, they definately made ex-high school coach and NFL college scout Nix, a huge offer and he signed a big contract...

I'm just a dummy thinking, likely not.

actually calls like that are very revealing. just like jauron punting against saints this year.

Right, except for the part of Billick having a carrer record OVER .500, a winning playoff record and winning a super bowl win the two coaches are exactly the same.

actually calls like that are very revealing. just like jauron punting against saints this year.

I'd be hard pressed to believe that bone-headed calls aren't made by every coach at one time or another in his career. Some may have had a impact on the outcome of the game, and some may have not. Likewise, players make bone-headed plays. You think Jimmy Johnson was perfect in every aspect of coaching, or Billacheat, or Lombardi, or Dungy? Not even Cowher can escape the "WTH was I thinking" syndrome. Imagine if Marv Levy had not been hired because he sucked so bad in Kansas City. Then there is Trestman in the CFL.. he too sucked in the NFL, yet like Levy won the Grey Cup in Canada.

We fans enjoy the benefit of hindsight, selective memory and comparative analysis when it comes to our team, which makes us experts in absolutely NOTHING. Honestly, all we can really do is hope. Hope that the guys Mr Billionaire Wilson put in place will bring us FANS the satisfaction of experiencing what it feels like to win the BIG ONE!. For me? Jumping ship is just NOT an option. I'll go down with the ship. :-)

Listen I like Billick too. I think he is what we need, but here are the reasons why The Bills might not run after him:

1. The first and most important aspect of finding the right coach here is developing a QB. That is our biggest problem, besides stopping the run. Billick failed miserably developing Kyle Boller or any other QB that he had.

2. Billick is opinionated. Ralph likes his guys sterile and free of emotion, like Dick Jauron

3. Billick has made a good buck already. Why would he pay for someone whom is not his exact fit

4. It seems that Billick is sounding a little desperate about coaching right now.

5. Billick may have pissed off one or if not more people in our organization. Who the heck knows. That is the unknown variable.

6. and finally, he took Willis Magahee off our hands. knowing that Jamal Lewis was finished in Baltimore, he put his chips on Willis to carry his fortunes knowing that he was all about him self. This is not much of a reason, but I cant really think of any more.

If you have more reasons put them up, cause I think we are all confused why he has not been in for an interview. He is a great teacher and motivator. Exactly what Buddy said he was looking for. Maybe with the right Offensive Coordinator, This can work.

Listen I like Billick too. I think he is what we need, but here are the reasons why The Bills might not run after him:

1. The first and most important aspect of finding the right coach here is developing a QB. That is our biggest problem, besides stopping the run. Billick failed miserably developing Kyle Boller or any other QB that he had.

First insightfull point I've seen in this discussion. Maybe that is what they are focusing on.

Of course, I look at it with a different angle: how much of finding a franchise quarterback is luck versus coaching? I'm inclined to think it is more dependent on luck than other positions, which is why so many first rounders bust while disporportionately many of the quarterbacks that work out were late rounders.

Billick has had Bills-style luck at finding a good qb, and the starter lists look pretty similar. But he took what he was dealt and usually got wildcard appearances, while the Bills stayed home.

Didn't Billick make a comment along the lines of "Who would want to coach in Buffalo?" very mockingly?

I mean, this city ran Willis out of town for disparaging it....and now some people want to embrace a questionable head coach who at one time, thought this city was below him?

Screw Billick. He is to offensive football what Dick Jauron is to defensive football. Very overrated.

IF you can't get Marty Schottenheimer as your experienced head coach, look at a hot coordinator. No retreads that were forced out of the game years ago and can't find work today.

Why is this so important? All we have now is young QBs. That could change. Who says a team has to develop a young QB? Gruden got to the tuck game and Callahan to the SB with Rich Gannon. They didn't develop him. The Cardinals got to the Super Bowl last year with Kurt Warner. They didn't develop him. The Bucs won the Super Bowl with Brad Johnson. They didn't develop him. The Bills got to the playoffs 2 years in a row with Doug Flutie. We didn't develop him. Billick won the Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer. He didn't develop him either.

There's not a lot of good FA QBs out there, but if we go hot and heavy for one or maybe trade for someone servicable like Todd Collins or Kerry Collins or Kyle Orton or Tavaris Jackson or Billy Volek or Duante Culpepper or Charlie Batch or Damon Huard or Jeff Garcia we could be better off than what we're trotting out there now. None of these guys would be the long term future, but so what? The future is now. And Billick knows how to win with these kind of guys. In a couple of years, get someone else. I'm tired of fielding the QB position on a wing and a prayer.

Why is this so important? All we have now is young QBs. That could change. Who says a team has to develop a young QB? Gruden got to the tuck game and Callahan to the SB with Rich Gannon. They didn't develop him. The Cardinals got to the Super Bowl last year with Kurt Warner. They didn't develop him. The Bucs won the Super Bowl with Brad Johnson. They didn't develop him. The Bills got to the playoffs 2 years in a row with Doug Flutie. We didn't develop him. Billick won the Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer. He didn't develop him either.

There's not a lot of good FA QBs out there, but if we go hot and heavy for one or maybe trade for someone servicable like Todd Collins or Kerry Collins or Kyle Orton or Tavaris Jackson or Billy Volek or Duante Culpepper or Charlie Batch or Damon Huard or Jeff Garcia we could be better off than what we're trotting out there now. None of these guys would be the long term future, but so what? The future is now. And Billick knows how to win with these kind of guys. In a couple of years, get someone else. I'm tired of fielding the QB position on a wing and a prayer.

You don't hire a coach, so that he doesn't develop his players, QB or any other players. We need the QB of the future here NOW. We have not had one here since Kelly. True we need someone to show them the ropes, ala Crafty Vet. thats what you do to support your youth. I cant believe you said Todd Collins. you should be dunked in tar and feathered for saying that. but it is the job of the coach to develop his QB. I'd have to say thats an important position, Don't you.

For starters pretty much all the names you mentioned suck. Could you get lucky and go far with one of those guys, yeah if you have a great team around him, not good, but great. And if you do go with one of these guys, then you're developing a QB, maybe not this year, but you want to start now. Whomever the Bills or any team hires, they'd like to think their HC worries are solved for the next ten years. Therefore you want this guy to be able to develop whatever players and positions you need. You're not going to hire a coach knowing he may not work out more than a couple of years.

Would that be an improvement over the current situation, yes, but it's still not a direction a team is goign to go in.

You are very naive.

Nix hire= cheapest football guy RW could find to do the GM job.

Next coach= cheap Coordinator

BTW Sherman wasn't back when hired and people blame Levy... but in another huge coincedence, Mike Sherman would have been MUCH more expensive at the time. Jauron had experience but was super cheap to hire. So they could differentiate Jauron from Greggo or MM, but did not have to pay him much more than a first time HC.

It ALL comes down to money, and that is NOT going to change as long as RW remains on the mortal coil.

In fact, everything is always driven by money, everything else is just a superstructure around... the money - Karl Marx paraphrase

From what was reported at the time, Levy had to talk RW into the DJ hire. Levy didn't want Sherman and apparently RW preferred him to DJ.

You don't hire a coach, so that he doesn't develop his players, QB or any other players. We need the QB of the future here NOW. We have not had one here since Kelly. True we need someone to show them the ropes, ala Crafty Vet. thats what you do to support your youth. I cant believe you said Todd Collins. you should be dunked in tar and feathered for saying that. but it is the job of the coach to develop his QB. I'd have to say thats an important position, Don't you.

Won't we have an OC and a QB coach whose job it is to develop QBs? Many on here are excited about Brian S because he worked with and developed Sanchez, Brees, and Rivers I think it was. Should Rex Ryan and Norv Turner really be getting the credit? Sure the HC is where the buck stops.

Todd looked good the last 3 1/2 games in 2007 and when he came in in relief in the Monday Night Game. In 2007 5 TDs and 0 Ints and 888 yards and a106.4 rating in 3 1/2 games. He hasnt played that much so he's not bunged up. He's studied alot and understands the game way better than some snot nose rookie QB. I just want to play one season where we aren't severely handicapped at the most important position, QB.

Nix doesn't like him. That's basically it. It's not money. Nix doesn't want Billick as head coach. Nix doesn't want Haslett either. The man is in charge and it's his call.

PTR

You think it's Nix? I thought it would be Ralph.

Billick is successful, but is famous for being hard to work with and extremely arrogant. Just the guy Ralph doesn't want. He's certainly got the qualifications, so it has to be that someone (Nix or Ralph or both) just doesn't want to work with him.

Didn't Billick make a comment along the lines of "Who would want to coach in Buffalo?" very mockingly?

I mean, this city ran Willis out of town for disparaging it....and now some people want to embrace a questionable head coach who at one time, thought this city was below him?

Screw Billick. He is to offensive football what Dick Jauron is to defensive football. Very overrated.

IF you can't get Marty Schottenheimer as your experienced head coach, look at a hot coordinator. No retreads that were forced out of the game years ago and can't find work today.

Billick actually strongly indicated that he wanted the job. Why would he then say something disparaging? You are the only one who remembers this.

However many years he has owned the team he has underspent every other owner.

If he says now, money is no issue, then yes, I am calling him a bald faced liar.

By the way I like Nix fine. But you cannot deny he was the cheapest guy for the job.

And Ralph offers you the cheapest tickets in the league to an NFL football game, so I guess you get what you pay for