From Allen Wilson's chat today

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Bills__Fan, I piece information together over the course of reading different web sites, listening to various media folks, speaking with folks in the NFL, etc. One thing that I will point out to keep it real is that I do not have links that I can attach to this board. As you can appreciate, since Donahoe left, the Bills organization has become very, very tight lipped about anything and everything. I am sure lots of folks will respond to me and say stick it. That is fine.

Tom Modrak wanted various players to be drafted by the Bills, heck even Old Man Wilson was in line in 2006 with either Cutler or Ngata. TM is a rock solid college evaluator. I think we saw what he could do with the last two drafts - 2008 - 2009. I know Nix played in to 2009, but Modrak led who we selected. These last two drafts the Bills have done very well. If it were not for unlucky leg breaks to McKelvin and Wood, we would have seen these two young studs continue to grow into top notch players. And they still will.

To Bills__Fan, I piece information together over the course of reading different web sites, listening to various media folks, speaking with folks in the NFL, etc. One thing that I will point out to keep it real is that I do not have links that I can attach to this board. As you can appreciate, since Donahoe left, the Bills organization has become very, very tight lipped about anything and everything. I am sure lots of folks will respond to me and say stick it. That is fine.

Tom Modrak wanted various players to be drafted by the Bills, heck even Old Man Wilson was in line in 2006 with either Cutler or Ngata. TM is a rock solid college evaluator. I think we saw what he could do with the last two drafts - 2008 - 2009. I know Nix played in to 2009, but Modrak led who we selected. These last two drafts the Bills have done very well. If it were not for unlucky leg breaks to McKelvin and Wood, we would have seen these two young studs continue to grow into top notch players. And they still will.

I figured that type of info was not available in links. But your suggestion that TM was pushing for certain players over others was detailed enough to cause me to wonder.

Funny, I thought the Bills organization had opened up a bit since Donahoe left. Donahoe was the one who went all "Captain Queeg" in his final days regarding signs brought by the fans and control of information.

Was Guy involved with the draft at all? I don't think so, and believe the draft was a Ralph/Brandon/Jauron/TM show, but could be wrong.

Who does TM like this year? Hopefully, a LT prospect.

Let me go on record by saying that Tom Modrak has never, ever, been the problem for the Buffalo Bills when it comes to drafting talent to bring in to the organization. Tom Modrak is a well respected, highly regarded talent evaluator, that quite frankly should have been named GM for the Bills in 2006 over Levy and 2008 over Brandon.

As GM in Philadelphia, he was responsible for - Andy Reid, Leslie Frazier, Jim Johnson, Donavan McNabb, Jeremiah Trotter, Tra Thomas, Ike Reese, John Welbourn, Derrick Burgess, Correll Buckhalter, signing Jon Runyan, and the list could go on. Jeff Lurie, the Eagles owner, wanted to sign Tom Modrak to a long term contract in 2000 - 2001, but Tom Modrak was undecided on what he wanted to do. Lurie decided not to wait any longer, allowed for TM (Tom Modrak) contract to run its course, then elevated Andy Reid to Coach/GM.

Here in Buffalo, the list of players he wanted to draft but ended up being over ruled on doesn't stop with Cushing. Read the following list of players whom he wanted to draft but was over ruled on:

2002 - TM wanted Bryant Mckinnie or John Henderson. Tom Donahoe drafts Mike Williams.

2004 - TM wanted Vince Wilfork with the 2nd #1. Tom Donahoe drafts JP Losman.

2006 - TM wanted either of the following: Haloti Ngata, Jay Cutler, Chad greenway. Marv Levy drafts Donte Whitner.

2007 - TM begged and pleaded for the Bills to trade up 5 spots to draft either Adrian peterson or Patrick Willis, Levey drafts Marshawn.

I think Tom Modrak will stay in Buffalo as some sort of College Talent Evaluator.

Holy Crap!!! That really sucks. We could have had a decent team if we had done what Modrak had wanted.

Too bad....

Let me go on record by saying that Tom Modrak has never, ever, been the problem for the Buffalo Bills when it comes to drafting talent to bring in to the organization. Tom Modrak is a well respected, highly regarded talent evaluator, that quite frankly should have been named GM for the Bills in 2006 over Levy and 2008 over Brandon.

As GM in Philadelphia, he was responsible for - Andy Reid, Leslie Frazier, Jim Johnson, Donavan McNabb, Jeremiah Trotter, Tra Thomas, Ike Reese, John Welbourn, Derrick Burgess, Correll Buckhalter, signing Jon Runyan, and the list could go on. Jeff Lurie, the Eagles owner, wanted to sign Tom Modrak to a long term contract in 2000 - 2001, but Tom Modrak was undecided on what he wanted to do. Lurie decided not to wait any longer, allowed for TM (Tom Modrak) contract to run its course, then elevated Andy Reid to Coach/GM.

Here in Buffalo, the list of players he wanted to draft but ended up being over ruled on doesn't stop with Cushing. Read the following list of players whom he wanted to draft but was over ruled on:

2002 - TM wanted Bryant Mckinnie or John Henderson. Tom Donahoe drafts Mike Williams.

2006 - TM wanted either of the following: Haloti Ngata, Jay Cutler, Chad greenway. Marv Levy drafts Donte Whitner.

2007 - TM begged and pleaded for the Bills to trade up 5 spots to draft either Adrian peterson or Patrick Willis, Levey drafts Marshawn.

I think Tom Modrak will stay in Buffalo as some sort of College Talent Evaluator.

I think you're generally right, but I'm skeptical about the info you received re: McKinnie v. Mike Williams:

http://buf.scout.com/2/45205.html

Just think of what this team would look like?

Wilfork or Ngata at the nose

Cushing and Willis at LB

Oher, Levitre and Wood for the OL in 2009 and with McKinnie at LT wow what an OL any QB would look good behind that line

Board members, thanks for the feedback and fair enough on all points made. I am not misleading anyone with anything I know. it is really to bad that TM has been included in all of the organizational criticism.

Oh, least I forget. he also had a hand in undrafted free agents. Don't throw any bricks at me, but yes Jason Peters and Fred Jackson.

I feel we need to draft a QB in the top 10. And get that over with right now. We can pick up solid O-Lineman later, and maybe free agency. Me personally, I would be OK with a rookie QB backed by a veteran LT vs a veteran QB backed by a rookie LT. Just me.

If this was me, no I wouldn't do that. Start from Square 1 and get the QB position solidified for the next 10 - 15 years. Start with a QB and let the rookie grow with the young talent the team now has.

See, here is my problem with the QB position. Everyone thinks you just draft a QB in the 1st round and you get the next Brett Favre. Very few NFL players last for 15 years. Especially QBs.

I feel we need to draft a QB in the top 10. And get that over with right now. We can pick up solid O-Lineman later, and maybe free agency. Me personally, I would be OK with a rookie QB backed by a veteran LT vs a veteran QB backed by a rookie LT. Just me.

Yes, but there doesn't seem to be any overly impressive QB talent in this draft at first blush.

I hear that. i really do. However, Five out of the six AFC QB's drafted in first round. Three out of the six for the NFC. Seems to be a QB league right now.

Last years playoffs - 5 out of six for the AFC again. Three out of six for NFC also.

That is a very fair point.

My worry is that the Bills will draft the next Alex Smith, Russell, or Quinn....instead of the next Aaron Rodgers. The top 2 QBs will be gone by the 9th pick I'm afraid. And unless someone like McCoy blows away the combine, the Bills would be best advised to take the best lineman available (whether it be o-line, d-line, or linebacker).

Cushing was good, but was never considered an option for the Bills. Would I have liked to see him on the team? In retrospect, hell yea. I would also have liked to see us pick Chris Johnson, but what are you going to do? The issue shouldn't be the fact that Maybin was picked even though Modrak wanted Cushing. It should be why no one wanted Orakpo.

By the way, I have to say some of Allen's Wilson's points in this draft were mind boggling.

First the guy criticizes Jauron for NOT taking the "best player available" and instead drafting in terms of positional needs. And then he says the Bills NEED to draft an OT with the first pick.

I'm not sure any OT will be there worthy of a number 9 pick.

Just like Oher was not "worthy".