Why Did Haslett Lose Favor So Fast?

ajzepp

I think I'm one of the few TBD'ers who would still be excited if Jim Haslett came home to coach the Bills. Several years ago, after Haslett's run as Pitt DC, I remember how high on the list he was for a lot of other folks around here. We used to speculate about whether he had a clause in his contract that would allow him to leave whatever position he was in if and when the Bills came calling. Now it seems like he's totally fallen out of favor. It's not like his record in N.O. was that bad, and we're talking about a team that, until recently, was pretty much a bottom dweller in the NFL. The St. Louis gig was only an interim basis, so he wasn't really going to get much accomplished there in such a short time.

The guy is one of US. He loves the Bills and he's got some experience as a head coach under his belt. Is there anyone else out there besides me who would be happy having him coach the Bills?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because he can't coach.

People said the same thing about Bill Belichick after his run with the Browns (which was less successful than Haz's run with the Saints).

People said the same thing about Bill Belichick after his run with the Browns (which was less successful than Haz's run with the Saints).

People said the same thing about Jauron after his run with the Bears (which was even more successful than Haz's run with the Saints)!

People said the same thing about Jauron after his run with the Bears (which was even more successful than Haz's run with the Saints)!

lol...nah, he went 35-45 with da Bears.

I think I'm one of the few TBD'ers who would still be excited if Jim Haslett came home to coach the Bills. Several years ago, after Haslett's run as Pitt DC, I remember how high on the list he was for a lot of other folks around here. We used to speculate about whether he had a clause in his contract that would allow him to leave whatever position he was in if and when the Bills came calling. Now it seems like he's totally fallen out of favor. It's not like his record in N.O. was that bad, and we're talking about a team that, until recently, was pretty much a bottom dweller in the NFL. The St. Louis gig was only an interim basis, so he wasn't really going to get much accomplished there in such a short time.

The guy is one of US. He loves the Bills and he's got some experience as a head coach under his belt. Is there anyone else out there besides me who would be happy having him coach the Bills?

I like Haslett and under different circumstances (if we were a good team that maybe had a coach retire, for instance) wouldn't be too unhappy if he came here to coach. And while most people have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever of his coaching outside of his record, it's tough to argue in his favor with how things went in NO.

As a rule, I never take much account of a coaches first year on a team, good or bad. Take away his first year with the Saints and Haslett was 35-45, with his worst year (3-13) coming at the end (after he'd had control of the team for 6 years). Outside of that he was middle of the road, between 7-9 and 9-7. That's basically the same place we are now.

You're right, NO was a bottom dweller, but so are the Bills! We have to have a coach that can get us off the bottom, and while the BIG NAME coaches may not work out, I think it's probably better to go with a relatively unknown up-and-comer instead of a known mediocre commodity. We might as well have hope for a few years. When we hired Jauron, I was all about giving him a chance. Even though his over-all record was poor, he had shown the ability to build a winner and I was more than willing, even excited, to give him that chance. In the end, his history proved true. Maybe it's just being gun-shy, but I'm not ready to forget that and give another proven sub-par coach a chance to turn things around. There's no reason to think Haslett (or any other coach in similar circumstances) won't turn out to be the next Belichick. You just don't know until they are in that position. I just don't think the Bills can afford the gamble right now.

EDIT: I swear none of those other responses were there when I started this! Pretty much made my post redundant. :worthy::wallbash:

I think Haz would be a good choice for Head Coach. In NO Haz coached through Katrina which had a big effect on his overall record. His team had to move to San Antonio about a week before the season started. Also, for all of you Cowher lovers out there he is from the Cowher tree in Pittsburg where he was DC before going on to NO as HC. Haz is a better coach than you guys are giving him credit for being.

watched tons of saints games when haslett was their coach. he single-handedly blew it for that team, game after game, season after season. one of the worst head coaches ever

I like Haslett and under different circumstances (if we were a good team that maybe had a coach retire, for instance) wouldn't be too unhappy if he came here to coach. And while most people have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever of his coaching outside of his record, it's tough to argue in his favor with how things went in NO.

As a rule, I never take much account of a coaches first year on a team, good or bad. Take away his first year with the Saints and Haslett was 35-45, with his worst year (3-13) coming at the end (after he'd had control of the team for 6 years). Outside of that he was middle of the road, between 7-9 and 9-7. That's basically the same place we are now.

You're right, NO was a bottom dweller, but so are the Bills! We have to have a coach that can get us off the bottom, and while the BIG NAME coaches may not work out, I think it's probably better to go with a relatively unknown up-and-comer instead of a known mediocre commodity. We might as well have hope for a few years. When we hired Jauron, I was all about giving him a chance. Even though his over-all record was poor, he had shown the ability to build a winner and I was more than willing, even excited, to give him that chance. In the end, his history proved true. Maybe it's just being gun-shy, but I'm not ready to forget that and give another proven sub-par coach a chance to turn things around. There's no reason to think Haslett (or any other coach in similar circumstances) won't turn out to be the next Belichick. You just don't know until they are in that position. I just don't think the Bills can afford the gamble right now.

EDIT: I swear none of those other responses were there when I started this! Pretty much made my post redundant. :worthy::wallbash:

Good post, man...not redundant at all! lol

I understand your point about Jauron, but don't you think Jauron's style of coaching is notably different than that of Haslett's? Haslett is more of a "balls to the wall" type in the Cowher mold than he is a conservative, "play not to lose" type. I think what I keep coming back to is that I want someone here who is passionate about the team. It should't be that those most passionate about this team (other than the fans) are Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas! I'm glad they are still active and around, but I want people in the organization to be passionate about buliding this team back to where we're able to dominate like we did back in the day. I give him points in that department, cause I want to be inspired again, you know?

I think Haz would be a good choice for Head Coach. In NO Haz coached through Katrina which had a big effect on his overall record. His team had to move to San Antonio about a week before the season started. Also, for all of you Cowher lovers out there he is from the Cowher tree in Pittsburg where he was DC before going on to NO as HC. Haz is a better coach than you guys are giving him credit for being.

:wallbash:

Speaking for myself, one thing that marred his desirability WRT to coaching here, was the implications he made about Hull.

What exactly happened with that? I've heard people mention it, but not sure I know all the details.

watched tons of saints games when haslett was their coach. he single-handedly blew it for that team, game after game, season after season. one of the worst head coaches ever

Do you think a lot of that fell on the shoulders of Aaron Brooks?

Do you think a lot of that fell on the shoulders of Aaron Brooks?

it was a combination of brooks and haslett. they both suck

I would rather see him than the DC from the Vikes (I wonder how well their defense would play without Jared Allen and Pat Williams on the line?

I would not mind Haslett simply b/c he is a good coach and wants to be here unlike a lot of others out there. He always said HC of the Bills was his dream job! He did well for the Saints and got them back to respectability. Also with the Rams you see how bad they are and Spagnola ( the defensive genius from the Giants) did worse than Haslett.

So, the guy can coach and knows the game....I for one would not be upset with him as coach. A lot of coaching is getting the right fit. The right fit in Buffalo may/is not the right fit in Dallas or Seattle.