Modrak and Guy

Out of curiosity, is anybody concerned that the same decision makers currently carrying out the HC search still have not fired Tom Modrak and John Guy? It is beyond me how these two have escaped the guillotine? As Lynch works his way to a one year suspension, and in the process adding another high first round bust to Modrak’s already dubious record, I just can’t see how this guy is surviving within the organization. The Maybin pick alone is worthy of a pick-slip; probably another hurdle to landing a legitimate coach.

I read that there is suppose to be a meeting with them when the HC search is done to determine, what, if any role they will play with the team. I think they should have been fired immediately when Nix was hired, but we'll see. I have a feeling Nix is going to clean house once the coach is in place.

Out of curiosity, is anybody concerned that the same decision makers currently carrying out the HC search still have not fired Tom Modrak and John Guy? It is beyond me how these two have escaped the guillotine? As Lynch works his way to a one year suspension, and in the process adding another high first round bust to Modrak’s already dubious record, I just can’t see how this guy is surviving within the organization. The Maybin pick alone is worthy of a pick-slip; probably another hurdle to landing a legitimate coach.

Maybe you should just keep the pipe this next turn.

Consider that i n the previous 2 years these "experts" fixed our O line. by scouting veterans and signing them to huge contracts at center, tackle and guard, only to have them cut and waste millions of dollars and more importantly time.

If we believe that it takes 2 years for a line to be good if they work together, then they cost us 5 years of bad o line play.

We cut the players, but either the coaches couldn't coach or the people who signed the players could not scout. Nobody at the time got fired.

I think these 2 guys should have been fired for wasting the time of this franchise. Total failure.

The college draft can be a crap shoot, but free agents who have been in the league for a few years should not be. :ph34r:

Here's a rhetorical question: Why would someone who was a finalist to be one of those "decision makers" be in jeopardy of being fired? I'm more concerned with the "same decision makers". In all sincerity though, I agree with your observation.

Here's a rhetorical question: Why would someone who was a finalist to be one of those "decision makers" be in jeopardy of being fired? I'm more concerned with the "same decision makers". In all sincerity though, I agree with your observation.

If Modrak gets fired, as many have commented, it probably won't be until after the draft. I think it is more likely that he stays on in a consulting role. Ralph is a big fan of Modrak's. One the pro side, Nix has probably not had much time to consider what he is doing there with the coaching search occupying most of his time. I would anticipate changes after the coach is hired.

Out of curiosity, is anybody concerned surprised that the same decision makers currently carrying out the HC search still have not fired Tom Modrak and John Guy? It is beyond me so predictable how these two have escaped the guillotine. As Lynch works his way to a one year suspension, and in the process adding another high first round bust to Modrak's already dubious record, I just can't see how it's so typical of Wilson that this guy is surviving within the organization. The Maybin pick alone is worthy of a pick-slip; probably another hurdle to landing a legitimate coach.

Fixed.

Nix has tremendous respect for Modrak. In fact, Modrak brought Nix in.

And again, you can not judge Modrak for the draft classes IF he did NOT make the decisions on who to pull the trigger on. It looks like over the past few years, he may have been in control only in the later rounds - during which the Bills have actually done pretty well.

Guy I'm not a big fan of, but in print recently he had the same complaint, that you can't pin things on him if his recommendations were not followed.

And again, you can not judge Modrak for the draft classes IF he did NOT make the decisions on who to pull the trigger on. It looks like over the past few years, he may have been in control only in the later rounds - during which the Bills have actually done pretty well.

Guy I'm not a big fan of, but in print recently he had the same complaint, that you can't pin things on him if his recommendations were not followed.

I agree we should give them contact extensions with pay raises.

You really think Modrak was not pulling the trigger on the early round picks? You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Also, do you think it was Modrak's idea to bring in Nix? Ralph had a long standing relationship with Nix and that is the only reason he was brought in. The last thing he wanted was Nix second guessing his picks. Step away from the computer and stop giving these people such poor information

As long as Jeff Littman is a part of this organization, this will continue on our part: :ph34r:

Double edge. You could argue that he has been as imporant to the business as Brandon has. However he is definitely a detriment to football. Keep an eye on the coaching search. If they pay big money, that is a good indication that he as been compromised. No way that fits into his economic equation.

And what makes you know what you're talking about either??

I think the past two seasons after Levy left, TM was calling the shots, prior to that the final decision was made by Levy, though I think he did value the opinion of others. When TD was in charge, from everythign you saw of how he handled thingsa, there's no doubt he made the final call on whom to select. I'm certain they all took TM and other scouts suggestions under advisement, but the final call was made by the GM until RB, then he did likely defer to TM.

You really think Modrak was not pulling the trigger on the early round picks? You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

You really think Modrak was not pulling the trigger on the early round picks? You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Also, do you think it was Modrak's idea to bring in Nix? Ralph had a long standing relationship with Nix and that is the only reason he was brought in. The last thing he wanted was Nix second guessing his picks. Step away from the computer and stop giving these people such poor information

The bottom line is we have no idea who was the ultimate decision maker for those picks. So go ahead and get your torch and pitch fork but just realize you might be storming the wrong castle.

And what makes you know what you're talking about either??

I think the past two seasons after Levy left, TM was calling the shots, prior to that the final decision was made by Levy, though I think he did value the opinion of others. When TD was in charge, from everythign you saw of how he handled thingsa, there's no doubt he made the final call on whom to select. I'm certain they all took TM and other scouts suggestions under advisement, but the final call was made by the GM until RB, then he did likely defer to TM.

Sounds like you just backed me up.

Just trying to provide some insight. If you would rather not have it, that is fine. Of course TD was calling shots. But that was a few years ago. It has been Modrak's draft to run since. Marv was not picking anything except the restaruant that was having the early bird special at 4:30 every day.

How do we know that the problem is Modrak and or Guy? As personnel men and scouts their job is to present the most viable options to the executive decision makers, not to make the decisions. Executives (GM, Head Coach and Owners make the final decisions. They may be the problem but unless we were sitting in on the meetings we just don't know.

How do we know that the problem is Modrak and or Guy? As personnel men and scouts their job is to present the most viable options to the executive decision makers, not to make the decisions. Executives (GM, Head Coach and Owners make the final decisions. They may be the problem but unless we were sitting in on the meetings we just don't know.

The owner is the ultimate issue, but the drafts over the last few years other than a couple of players are Modrak's. I am sure there is still debate over what players people like and don't like, but at least you know who is responsible.

• 2 weeks later...

No I'm saying out of the 10 years TM was here the past two I think it mostly on him with alot of input from DJ. And those drafts were pretty good, excluding possibly the Maybin pick.

Sounds like you just backed me up.

Just trying to provide some insight. If you would rather not have it, that is fine. Of course TD was calling shots. But that was a few years ago. It has been Modrak's draft to run since. Marv was not picking anything except the restaruant that was having the early bird special at 4:30 every day.

If Modrak gets fired, as many have commented, it probably won't be until after the draft. I think it is more likely that he stays on in a consulting role. Ralph is a big fan of Modrak's. One the pro side, Nix has probably not had much time to consider what he is doing there with the coaching search occupying most of his time. I would anticipate changes after the coach is hired.

He interviewed 2 guys.

Anyway, Modrak and Guy should have been the first to go.

He interviewed 2 guys.

Anyway, Modrak and Guy should have been the first to go.

Even though people in the administration know that Modrak recommended draft candidates that turned out better than the ones the team selected?