Peter King on coaching search

silvermike

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Frazier = another ex nfl cornerback who is laidback and runs the tampa 2. Sound like anyone to you? WHAT A JOKE!!!

RW loves continuity!

but I don't think this is his fault unless he vetoed the cash to cap thing and refused the assurances re player $$ Cowher was seeking per the Logan story.

What bothers me about Frazier is that they're saying he blew Buddy Nix away in his interview. IIRC, Gregg Williams blew TD away in his interview too. :D

In all honesty, I can't figure out why Gregg Williams failed. He really seemed to be the complete package: he had a clear, sound philosophy towards running his defense, which had huge success in Tennessee. He came in confident and prepared, and ran a tight ship. There may have been better options at the time, but I don't think there were any red flags around Gregg Williams like there were for Mularkey and Jauron.

Just something about his game-day management?

Mike Tomlin, Ken Whisenhunt, Harbaugh...they are all coordinators doing it the right way.

Not one of those guys had to go to a situation where they were rebuilding. All three went into a very good situation with the talent level already high. I think all three are fine coaches, but bring any of them to the mess in Buffalo now and they would be in over their heads.

In all honesty, I can't figure out why Gregg Williams failed. He really seemed to be the complete package: he had a clear, sound philosophy towards running his defense, which had huge success in Tennessee. He came in confident and prepared, and ran a tight ship. There may have been better options at the time, but I don't think there were any red flags around Gregg Williams like there were for Mularkey and Jauron.

Just something about his game-day management?

I know from a very very good source Williams is a hot head. He screams and yells a lot and had very poor management skills. Look at what happened in Washington. He was promised the HC job and somehow blew it. His defenses get worse over time as he wears on players and organizations. You can't know that until you are around him for a while. Even NO's defense is fading fast after playing better than expected in only one year.

Not one of those guys had to go to a situation where they were rebuilding. All three went into a very good situation with the talent level already high. I think all three are fine coaches, but bring any of them to the mess in Buffalo now and they would be in over their heads.

I'll give you Billick and Harbaugh but Whisenhunt took over a team that was coming off of a decade as bad as our previous one. He is the only coach in that's franchises' history do have any sort of sustained success.

I know from a very very good source Williams is a hot head. He screams and yells a lot and had very poor management skills. Look at what happened in Washington. He was promised the HC job and somehow blew it. His defenses get worse over time as he wears on players and organizations. You can't know that until you are around him for a while. Even NO's defense is fading fast after playing better than expected in only one year.

Yeah - I guess at the end of the day, you just want a guy who belongs in charge. Really, that's Cowher's single greatest strength: he was never a tactical genius, he was just the guy who was in charge. That's the risk you run hiring any coordinator.

I dont understand why everybody is so down on this guy?

What the hell did Bill Cowher do that was so special...besides win 1 Super Bowl in a dozen+ years in Pittsburgh, sit out the last couple years, and get lucky that Roethlisberger fell to him?

I would bet Cowher AND Shanny...AND Schottenheimer SR. will ALL fall on their faces, like Joe Gibbs did when they come back. The game is starting to pass them by.

Mike Tomlin, Ken Whisenhunt, Harbaugh...they are all coordinators doing it the right way.

I had a post about this a while back, and now I cannot find it...but like 80% of the teams have guys who have come in as a "HOT COORDINATOR" and have completely turned things around for said team.

Yes, like John Fox. And how many people heard of Atlanta's Mike Smith before he took that job and put the Falcons in the playoffs his 1st season??

I still think the ownership & management of the Bills makes it difficult for anybody to be successful.

Now, Mularkey & Greg Williams both didn't last here but were being interviewed for other jobs back then. The Bills also interviewed Fox. How can they keep getting it wrong?? Same with the QBs?

I dont understand why everybody is so down on this guy?

What the hell did Bill Cowher do that was so special...besides win 1 Super Bowl in a dozen+ years in Pittsburgh, sit out the last couple years, and get lucky that Roethlisberger fell to him?

I would bet Cowher AND Shanny...AND Schottenheimer SR. will ALL fall on their faces, like Joe Gibbs did when they come back. The game is starting to pass them by.

I had a post about this a while back, and now I cannot find it...but like 80% of the teams have guys who have come in as a "HOT COORDINATOR" and have completely turned things around for said team.

Cowher had the Steelers in the SB in six years. They lost to Dallas in Jan. '96. I would prefer experience and a track record of success too, but if they get a coordinator get the best one available. BTW, to say all Cowher did was get 1 SB win in a dozen years is not a good argument whatsoever. Most coaches never get to one SB let alone two. Going to a SB is not a right or a given.

YEAH A COMPETE FAILURE UNTIL PEYTON MANNING WAS HIS COACH!. i guess the colts coach this year should go right into the hall of fame

This is bad analysis on your part. You are way too emotional. And you obviously don't know football. Dungy was a success in Tampa Bay. He turned that organization around. And just because you have a great QB does not mean you will be successful. How many rings does Dan Marino have? How many does Jim Kelly have? The Colts had great talent that was selected and coached by Tony Dungy and the staff of coaches that HE selected to coach. He was a very good to great HC. Don't be a fool.

What bothers me about Frazier is that they're saying he blew Buddy Nix away in his interview. IIRC, Gregg Williams blew TD away in his interview too. :D

I would hope whoever they hire as coach blew them away with his interview. What do you want them to hire, a guy with no vision or an inability to express his vision for the job? Come on now. This is ridiculous.

Bill Cowher's legacy in Pittsburgh:

1992 - 11-5

1993 - 9-7

1994 - 12-4

1995 - 11-5 (AFC Champions)

1996 - 10-6

1997 - 11-5

1998 - 7-9

1999 - 6-10

2000 - 9-7

2001 - 13-3

2002 - 10-5-1

2003 - 6-10

2004 - 15-1

2005 - 11-5 (Superbowl Champions)

2006 - 8-8

You guys wouldn't take this? And keep in mind he NEVER had a franchise QB to carry the team. He had to deal with Neal O'Donnell, Cordell Stewart, and then Ben Roethlisberger as a rookie (when they won the Superbowl).

I'm sorry, but I don't think we're overrating Cowher. His teams are disciplined, hard-nosed, prepared, and hard to beat. Even in an off year, nobody wanted to face Pittsburgh with Cowher at the helm. You knew you'd be in for a war, even if you snuck out with a win.

...and...

He has shown a TERRIFIC record for picking coordinators. He hired Dick Lebeau, Ken Wisenhunt, and Mike Tomlin.

What makes a good head coach ? Screamers have won....calm guys have won....offense guys defensive guys have all won in this league. So why is it we form opinions on guys we do not know or have any idea what type of head coach they will be?

Cowher didnt have the franchise qb but he did have that killer D - thank you dick lebeau where 13 points was enough

Bill Cowher's legacy in Pittsburgh:

1992 - 11-5

1993 - 9-7

1994 - 12-4

1995 - 11-5 (AFC Champions)

1996 - 10-6

1997 - 11-5

1998 - 7-9

1999 - 6-10

2000 - 9-7

2001 - 13-3

2002 - 10-5-1

2003 - 6-10

2004 - 15-1

2005 - 11-5 (Superbowl Champions)

2006 - 8-8

You guys wouldn't take this? And keep in mind he NEVER had a franchise QB to carry the team. He had to deal with Neal O'Donnell, Cordell Stewart, and then Ben Roethlisberger as a rookie (when they won the Superbowl).

I'm sorry, but I don't think we're overrating Cowher. His teams are disciplined, hard-nosed, prepared, and hard to beat. Even in an off year, nobody wanted to face Pittsburgh with Cowher at the helm. You knew you'd be in for a war, even if you snuck out with a win.

...and...

He has shown a TERRIFIC record for picking coordinators. He hired Dick Lebeau, Ken Wisenhunt, and Mike Tomlin.

Hell yeah. Nobody is saying they don't want that. Does he want the Bills? You can't make the man take the job. And if he doesn't somebody has to be the coach.

Hell yeah. Nobody is saying they don't want that. Does he want the Bills? You can't make the man take the job. And if he doesn't somebody has to be the coach.

My post was in response to a number of threads/posts on the board that are saying we have overrated Cowher. I don't think we have. He's not only the best candidate out there but he's the best candidate out there in years.

" Leslie Frazier is leader in Buffalo, but 4 or 5 more to interview. Brian Schottenheimer is one. Mike Zimmer is not."

Leader among himself and Perry Fewell, presumably?

How in the hell can Leslie Frazier be ahead of 2 stealth meetings with Bill Cowher.......Peter King is a moron!