Bills are in great position for a HC

Virgil

I don't know why so many people are freaking out about the fact that we haven't hired a head coach yet. Yes, we lost out on Shanahan, and that sucks. But I think he had his mind made up from day 1. Other than that, who have we missed out on and who are we competing against? The Seahawks did some weird stuff getting Carroll, and I wouldn't have wanted him anyways.

Right now, we have absolutely no competition, a GM to do the scouting, and 4 weeks left in season. We have our choice of anyone we want, that doesn't hate the idea of the Bills (I know the sighs that go along with that statement). Why would we not want to interview as many people as possible and really take in all of our options?

For me, the only concern I have is that all the names mentioned do not have any offensive experience. I believe our number one goal is securing our QB of the future and establishing an offensive persona. Even Bill Cowher wasn't know for his offense at all.

In any case, I think people need to relax a bit. If a coach doesn't want to be here, then F*ck him and move on. I believe there are plenty of guys out there that have been head coaches before or really great coordinators that can do this job. Yes, we lost out on Charlie Weis and Shanahan, but I don't think there was anything Ralphie could have done to prevent that.

Now, I will say, if the Bills do hire a HC in the next two weeks and it's a coordinator and they didn't interview any of the other Head Coaches or a good number of people, then yes, join me in burning this place to the ground.

Well because people like to complain they dont stop and think and say to themselves:

"O ya, Its only been a week, playoffs are just started and theres no other HC openings in the NFL as long as the Cowboys win tonight, lets give it till the end of the playoffs so we can interview every possible candidate."

But alot of Bills fans dont think straight

I don't know why so many people are freaking out about the fact that we haven't hired a head coach yet. Yes, we lost out on Shanahan, and that sucks. But I think he had his mind made up from day 1. Other than that, who have we missed out on and who are we competing against? The Seahawks did some weird stuff getting Carroll, and I wouldn't have wanted him anyways.

Right now, we have absolutely no competition, a GM to do the scouting, and 4 weeks left in season. We have our choice of anyone we want, that doesn't hate the idea of the Bills (I know the sighs that go along with that statement). Why would we not want to interview as many people as possible and really take in all of our options?

For me, the only concern I have is that all the names mentioned do not have any offensive experience. I believe our number one goal is securing our QB of the future and establishing an offensive persona. Even Bill Cowher wasn't know for his offense at all.

In any case, I think people need to relax a bit. If a coach doesn't want to be here, then F*ck him and move on. I believe there are plenty of guys out there that have been head coaches before or really great coordinators that can do this job. Yes, we lost out on Charlie Weis and Shanahan, but I don't think there was anything Ralphie could have done to prevent that.

Now, I will say, if the Bills do hire a HC in the next two weeks and it's a coordinator and they didn't interview any of the other Head Coaches or a good number of people, then yes, join me in burning this place to the ground.

taking their time makes sense if the Bills actually interview some qualified candidates

if they follow their typical modus operandi, as with the GM search, the interview process will be very limited and short-sighted.

i completely agree. odds are the bills won't hire anyone until after they can interview the coordinators who will coach in the super bowl. they said it'd be an extensive search and the second official interview is hardly extensive. i for one and still holding out hope for russ grimm.

Couldn't agree more.

I don't want to turn this into a WGR thread, but yesterday morning HoSi was complaining that the Bills hadn't hired a coach yet and that he wished they would just hurry up and hire someone and get it over with.

Why would you sacrifice the next 3-4 years to "just hurry up and hire someone"??? They need to be patient and they need to be certain that they hired the right man for this job when it's all said and done.

The endless "reports" are tiresome, but I'll gladly put up with them for a few more weeks if it means the Bills waited for their guy.

taking their time makes sense if the Bills actually interview some qualified candidates

if they follow their typical modus operandi, as with the GM search, the interview process will be very limited and short-sighted.

They have interviewed:

Mike Shanahan- denied took Redskins job.. qualified guy

Bill Cowher- extremely qualified

Leslie Frazier- one of the top coordinators in the league regarded as a future HC by alot of people (note: Not saying i like the idea)

Perry Fewell- Courtesy interview

So all four interviews thus far have there reasons.

And Im sure more interviews will come, and the playoffs are just starting

Who is it everyone would like to wait for that is currently in the playoffs? Grimm? Rivera? Garrett? They did the right thing to wait for Marvin Lewis years ago (of course still blew that) but I'm not sure this year there is as clear cut a star coordinator to wait for.

Honest question - who from the playoff field would you like to see the Bills interview? If that's the route the Bills go, I actually wouldn't mind Frazier.

Who is it everyone would like to wait for that is currently in the playoffs? Grimm? Rivera? Garrett? They did the right thing to wait for Marvin Lewis years ago (of course still blew that) but I'm not sure this year there is as clear cut a star coordinator to wait for.

Honest question - who from the playoff field would you like to see the Bills interview? If that's the route the Bills go, I actually wouldn't mind Frazier.

Well theres Grimm, B. Schottenheimer, Zimmer, Garrett and the Eagles coordinator (forget his name)

I would be upset if they hired a coordinator without even interviewing Brian Billick.

He has publicly stated that he wants the Bills job. Why not see what he has to say?

And if it's because of what he said then I think Ralph should swallow his pride. He can not afford to be picky and let his pride get in the way of who he hires.

Well theres Grimm, B. Schottenheimer, Zimmer, Garrett and the Eagles coordinator (forget his name)

And who from that group?

If we assume it's really not going to be Cowher, I don't know that I've heard much a consensus from Bills fans on who they'd pick next. There seem to be just as many pro Billick fans as those against him...same with Frazier.

Well because people like to complain they dont stop and think and say to themselves:

"O ya, Its only been a week, playoffs are just started and theres no other HC openings in the NFL as long as the Cowboys win tonight, lets give it till the end of the playoffs so we can interview every possible candidate."

But alot of Bills fans dont think straight

Not going to happen...Wade Phillips is cursed, and so are we...

...therefore, Dallas will lose, get Cowher and win a Super Bowl in the next 3 years...and we will just keep on keepin on.

I hope Dallas wins, Philly loses, Reid gets the axe...we bring HIM in and trade for McNabb! THAT is my new dream!

Yes, the Bills should take their time and do all of their research before hiring a coach. However, it's imperative to get a coach on board so they can begin evaluating their new roster and decide how to approach UFA/RFA and the draft. The GM has to coordinate his vision with that of the new HC.

I also believe the Bills job, despite being the only one truly open (if we believe reports about Carroll) is not an attractive one. People like Polian, AJ Smith, and others have put the word out that working for RW and Brandon does not permit enough operational latitude to control a new GM's destiny.

Why would you sacrifice the next 3-4 years to "just hurry up and hire someone"??? They need to be patient and they need to be certain that they hired the right man for this job when it's all said and done.

Well, normally I'd agree with you but I know who I want and they don't have to wait for him.

Give me Cowher or give me death.

yes the Bills are in great position unfortunately until proven otherwise I have no confidence in the decision makers for the Bills actually picking the right coach

Nix is the GM but we all know Wilson is still making the decision with Brandon involved for some freakin reason

And who from that group?

If we assume it's really not going to be Cowher, I don't know that I've heard much a consensus from Bills fans on who they'd pick next. There seem to be just as many pro Billick fans as those against him...same with Frazier.

I personally like Billick right now, he always puts together a good staff.

Those guys I listed are people that will be HC someday and we should interview them and take our time with the hire... We dont NEED to make a decision now. The 1st playoff game is at halftime right now. Theres 4 more weeks of football left.

Lets make the hire at the end of the month, so they can really take all their candidates and really really look at them and look at their strengths, their weaknesses, what they will bring with them....ect.

I dont get why people are in such a hurry. What other HC jobs are open? None except a possibility of Dallas and Oakland

I disagree with that, not because there is competition for head coaches but because there will be intense competition for new position coaches assistants and coordinators. The more new head coaches that come into place, the more competition there will be for the quality assistants. Shanahan and Carroll will soon be filling their staffs, then will come the new coaches for the Raiders, Jags and probably one or two more teams. We need a head coach now so that he can beat the rush and line up a good supporting team.