Mort says Pete Carroll to Seahawks

FluffHead

Carroll has the cushiest job in sports right now. All of sports. Why would he give it up?

i will tell you why. The worm is starting to turn at Southern cal. They are getting investigated pretty hard for the whole Bush incident & the basketball team is about to get hammered by the NCAA for the recruiting scandal with OJ Mayo. Carroll maybe thinking he might as well get out while the going is still good.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trivia:

Does everyone realize that Pete Carroll broke into the NFL as a Buffalo Bills DB's coach in the mid 80's?

Just like Dick Jauron! Maybe DJ can replace him at USC to rehabilitate his poor NFL coaching record, just as Carroll did.

Thanks for the info!!

Eventhough you ignored me when I asked you to explain it earlier

No I don't because you're basing your arguments on whether he takes the job where I am just simply bringing up the arguments. If he takes the job I'll agree but until then I think it's a dumb move ESPECIALLY since he failed at it once already.

The part you highlighted, is ESPECIALLY the reason why he may come back.

Recent?

Didn't the Reggie Bush part start 3-4 years ago?

True, but you know that the rules become ... flexible ... when one of the NCAA's marquee programs is involved. How did the old joke go -- something like, "the NCAA is so mad at Kentucky that they gave Cleveland State another two years of probation"?

But with the Mayo and McKnight stuff piled on top, the phrase "institutional control" comes into play ...

True, but you know that the rules become ... flexible ... when one of the NCAA's marquee programs is involved. How did the old joke go -- something like, "the NCAA is so mad at Kentucky that they gave Cleveland State another two years of probation"?

But with the Mayo and McKnight stuff piled on top, the phrase "institutional control" comes into play ...

When did all this start?

Thanks for the info!!

Eventhough you ignored me when I asked you to explain it earlier

Perhaps because I was busy trying to track down those links, or elsewhere on the board? Just a thought.

I think that the closest corollary to this situation (or at least the closest one that I can I think of) is Rick Pitino. After failure at the Knicks, goes on to UK where he has one of the best college jobs in the country. Then, gets the call from the Celtics and takes the job. All he did was to reconfirm the fact that he was a terrible NBA coach/GM.

So you don't even have to speculate about him pulling a Calipari, ego would be enough to explain the move.

Flexible ... Is that what they are calling it now? And here I was thinking "incompetent, inconsistent, and retarded".

Ouch.

Additionally, McKnight is going pro. Could be to take advantage of rookie salaries while he can; could be to avoid a brewing storm. The Bush thing is loooooooong overdue.

and FWIW, some SoCal fans that I converse with are of the opinion that the dynasty has begun to crack (regardless of any NCAA/legal troubles). Some view Carroll as a vastly different coach than he was when he created the juggernaut.

Is he really worth alot of money? I mean he has been successful at USC.....

Trivia:

Does everyone realize that Pete Carroll broke into the NFL as a Buffalo Bills DB's coach in the mid 80's?

The Bills had quite a string of db coaches in the 80s:

1983- Jerry Glanville

1984- Pete Carroll

1985- Dick Jauron

Absolutely. Carroll wants to get out bad, while the getting's good. The Pac 10 is holding their collective breath. It very well could be that USC football is in big trouble with the two rats jumping ship so far(McKnight and Carroll).

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that the Seahawks' hire of USC's Pete Carroll to be their next head coach is "looming."

Mortensen says he has "multiple sources now confirming" that Carroll will be replacing Jim Mora. Seahawks beat writer Danny O'Neil also reports Carroll is in the process of building a coaching staff, specifically targeting UCLA defensive coordinator DeWayne Walker. Carroll's offensive coordinator hire will have the biggest fantasy impact. Carroll is a defensive mind. Jan. 8 - 4:05 pm et

All of the top prospects for USC will no enter the NFL Draft and they will have massive decommitments. Probations and sanctions are possibly on the horizon. Ahhhhh, I love watching the demise of USC. :thumbsup:

Another FWIW, apparently on LA sports radio they are already talking about potential replacements for Carroll at USC. The top 3 were:

- Mike Riley (Oregon St.)

- Jeff Fisher

- Jack Del Rio

Both Fisher and Del Rio are SC grads.

TOTAL 2nd hand rumor speculation, so take it as you will, but this could potentially affect further NFL coach openings.