Artie Lange stabbed himself 9 times

Phlegm Alley

You are so ignorant that it hurts. He has tried to clean himself up but when you're an addict the odds are against you. Did you ever know anyone who tried to quit smoking and the struggle that they go through? Heroin is 1000x's worse. I'm not saying Artie has no blame but heroin is relentless and it's less about the user's will and more about the drug's grip. Your thoughts on suicide are bizzare, you sound like a real man CB97.

Also, if you listen to the show or have read his book, it's pretty clear that Artie carries around tremendous guilt over the work accident that left his father a paraplegic and ultimately led to his death.

no need to get into a pissing match over this....both sides of the argument are very valid and each side carries a very personal feeling about it. I absolutely see CB97's viewpoint, but being a fan of artie kind of makes it a bit more 'real' to me, so I also see John C's side very easily.....doesn't make CB97 a bad guy for the way he feels

Listening to the show, I knew Artie has been out for a while and all that was mentioned was that he was in the hospital, it was being handled as a family matter, and that's pretty much all Howard said about it. I fully expected it was a drug relapse...I even assumed that Artie possibly intentionally overdosed as a suicide attempt. I can't say that I saw this news coming though...Stabbing yourself nine times is CRAZY!! The wounds were classified as six "hesitation" wounds and three deep plunges. He is very, very lucky to be alive. He lost an extreme amount of blood and surgeons worked like crazy to save him.

He is definitely an addictive mess. But he always spoke lovingly of his mother. It seemed even in his worst moments that he would consider his mother's feelings. Well, she's the one who found him on his floor in a pool of blood, and made a frantic call to 911. She must be devastated.

Artie to me is a funny guy, but far from irreplaceable. His stand-up is funny but not outstanding. He makes bank doing comedy because of his attachment with the Howard Stern Show. Narrow scope- He is a big part of a funny radio show, and when he's on, he can have your ribs hurting from laughter. Wide scope- He is a dime-a-dozen comedian who never appreciated the breaks that he got, and continued the destructive behavior that people continued to reward him for. Hollywood and the entertainment industry is littered with wash outs like Artie. The Stern Show should move on with a new sidekick. Read Arties book. This will not be the last tragic occurance in Artie's life. His rock bottom is death.

All of the things in Artie's life (addiction, guilt over his father's death, etc. etc.) are all things that others have dealt with and overcome. Often without the support system of family, friends, employers, and financial stability that Artie was lucky enough to have. I wish him well, but it seems worthless because as they say, history is the best predictor of future events, and this is not the final tragedy in Artie's life.

It's sad because he's always come off as a genuine guy who liked beer and sports, and had a giving heart. He helped out several "Stern show friends" who fell on hard times, and probably helped out many others outside of the radio show. He just couldn't get himself together.

no need to get into a pissing match over this....both sides of the argument are very valid and each side carries a very personal feeling about it. I absolutely see CB97's viewpoint, but being a fan of artie kind of makes it a bit more 'real' to me, so I also see John C's side very easily.....doesn't make CB97 a bad guy for the way he feels

Well said. Like I said, maybe my response was cold. But I have experience with addiction. I know how powerful it can be. However there are millions of people who don't even have homes or can't find a job because of theirs. I doubt most people care about them because they aren't on radio. Lange has every advantage to get himself help than a lot of other people don't. I don't want him to die. But you can't help someone if they don't want to help themselves.

I wish him well, but I hope he isn't brought back to the show. He didn't appreciate the great opportunity he was given. I don't have alot of sympathy for people who are given great jobs or opportunities, and then throw it away because of a lack of discipline. Time to move on. My preference would be to bring back Jackie the Jokeman, but they'll probably bring in someone new.

I haven't listened in a year or so because I can't stand that loud mouth cow anymore. Plus their campaigning for Obama finished me off. I'm sad for Artie though. Don't like Jackie either. I think they should dump the fat cow and get Kathie Griffen. jmho. Then, try to salvage Artie.

Well said. Like I said, maybe my response was cold. But I have experience with addiction. I know how powerful it can be. However there are millions of people who don't even have homes or can't find a job because of theirs. I doubt most people care about them because they aren't on radio. Lange has every advantage to get himself help than a lot of other people don't. I don't want him to die. But you can't help someone if they don't want to help themselves.

It sounds like you're commenting about a show that you don't listen to. He litterally hired a team of people to live with him to keep him off of drugs last year, he's been in rehab 100 times and he's gone to therapy. So if you do know what SERIOUS addiction is like, you would know that heroin recovery rate is 16%-20%. My sadness for Artie is because I've heard him 4 days a week for the past 7 years and he has an incredibly huge heart. He personally organized a trip to the Middle East to entertain the troops, he's done benefits for countless people in need (including veterans, people who've lost their jobs, disabled, etc.) and is unbelievably generous. So I'm not saying that you can't have a point of view or an opinion, but when you comment on something as serious as suicide and addiciton without knowing the situation, you sound like a complete a**hole.

http://www.heroinaddiction.com/causes.html

Those who have said that Artie never appreciated the breaks he got, etc. couldn't be more wrong. I've never heard anybody be as grateful for the breaks they got as Artie. He's always talked about how he can't believe that he's on Howard's show. Him and his father used to listen to him all the time, and loved him......He knows how much it's helped his career. He doesn't care about the salary there, because it then let's him do things like sell out Carnegie Hall a few times over, and sell a ton of books.

Addiction doesn't care about those things. I do however think that Artie never get truthful with himself about what he is..........I remember years ago, hearing him talking about all this drinking he's doing, but "I'll never do coke again the rest of my life" I knew that he didn't know that if he's an addict, he can't pick and choose. He has to abstain from all that. And, he didn't seem to want to.

It sounds like you're commenting about a show that you don't listen to. He litterally hired a team of people to live with him to keep him off of drugs last year, he's been in rehab 100 times and he's gone to therapy. So if you do know what SERIOUS addiction is like, you would know that heroin recovery rate is 16%-20%. My sadness for Artie is because I've heard him 4 days a week for the past 7 years and he has an incredibly huge heart. He personally organized a trip to the Middle East to entertain the troops, he's done benefits for countless people in need (including veterans, people who've lost their jobs, disabled, etc.) and is unbelievably generous. So I'm not saying that you can't have a point of view or an opinion, but when you comment on something as serious as suicide and addiciton without knowing the situation, you sound like a complete a**hole.

http://www.heroinaddiction.com/causes.html

THANK YOU! This is not a joke i new someone addicted, i must say scariest moments of my life trying to help them. I feel bad for the guy though. hes trying and with all the stuff you said and i have heard he does, it seems like he should be able to break the habbit, bt drugs are a powerful thing to get involved with.