Lil Donte

After the debacle that was the 2006 draft (othere than KW), we kept hoping DW would show something other than the ability to play multiple secondary positions at a mediocre level and "leadership" skills. Then there were those fans who vehemently defended him saying that it was the rest of the defense who sucked (correct, they do suck but so does DW), or that the coaches were playing him at to many positions or he's a 91 on Madden so he must be good.

But after this season it is clear, Lil Donte was simply one of the worst first round picks in the history of the team and continued the tailspin that the Bills are in. He was to small to play SS and to slow to play CB. Now a WR and a rookie start over him. Another Marv Levy miracle!

I don't know what it is about Lil Donte that I never liked. But one thing was clear, he was a terrible pick and a VERY average player.

Good bye Lil Donte, please keep your mouth shut in the future little man.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Byrd's 9 ints is proof a lack of a pass-rush isn't the reason Donte isn't getting ints.

I think Donte looks as good as he has in his whole career playing FS this season. He had a few strong games. That said Byrd is clearly better and Whitner has no other place on this team because he's crap at both strong safety and the nickel. Here's hoping that another team noticed his free safety play and will take a flier on him in a trade. If we got a 6 for Ko we could probably get a 4th for Donte.

I think Donte looks as good as he has in his whole career playing FS this season. He had a few strong games. That said Byrd is clearly better and Whitner has no other place on this team because he's crap at both strong safety and the nickel. Here's hoping that another team noticed his free safety play and will take a flier on him in a trade. If we got a 6 for Ko we could probably get a 4th for Donte.

Taken as a whole, his career is very uninspiring just looking at the stat line. If he doesn't start anymore it is no grat loss to the Bills, thats for sure.

Whitner's selection was a major error. The Bills desperately needed a DT and both Haloti Ngata and Broderick

Bunkley were sitting there when their pick came. Instead, the Bills reached for the 2nd rated SS in the draft after the

Raiders took the top SS candidate (michael Huff) a pick or two earlier.

Now, I won't say that Whitner was a major major reach, but the Bills had no business picking a safety when the

two top DTs (THE position of need for them) were sitting on the board. What do you suppose the Bills would need

to package with Whitner to get Ngata now? (I'd venture to say a 1st and Whitner might get us Ngata).

Too bad, blown opportunity.

After the debacle that was the 2006 draft (othere than KW), we kept hoping DW would show something other than the ability to play multiple secondary positions at a mediocre level and "leadership" skills. Then there were those fans who vehemently defended him saying that it was the rest of the defense who sucked (correct, they do suck but so does DW), or that the coaches were playing him at to many positions or he's a 91 on Madden so he must be good.

But after this season it is clear, Lil Donte was simply one of the worst first round picks in the history of the team and continued the tailspin that the Bills are in. He was to small to play SS and to slow to play CB. Now a WR and a rookie start over him. Another Marv Levy miracle!

I don't know what it is about Lil Donte that I never liked. But one thing was clear, he was a terrible pick and a VERY average player.

Good bye Lil Donte, please keep your mouth shut in the future little man.

There has got to be 1?

There are still people who are defending the Mike Williams over Bryant McKinnie pick as recently as LAST WEEK. I understand that most of that is just people of questionable intelligence being stubborn or denial about being wrong.......but DONTE really only lost his starting job this year. MW was out of the league for a few years and McKinnie is going pro bowl. Maybe they will re-emerge in a couple years when Donte is starting for some banged up, desperate team elsewhere. Drafted at #8 Donte was supposed to be a Bob Sanders or Troy Polamalu type talent. You can't blame him for being overdrafted, but you can blame him for being a loudmouth with no production.

Whitner's selection was a major error. The Bills desperately needed a DT and both Haloti Ngata and Broderick

Bunkley were sitting there when their pick came. Instead, the Bills reached for the 2nd rated SS in the draft after the

Now, I won't say that Whitner was a major major reach, but the Bills had no business picking a safety when the

two top DTs (THE position of need for them) were sitting on the board. What do you suppose the Bills would need

to package with Whitner to get Ngata now? (I'd venture to say a 1st and Whitner might get us Ngata).

This. I don't get pissed at the player for not playing up to his draft slot when the Bills "braintrust" completely blows the pick by reaching for a player we have no business drafting at in that slot.

I don't hold Whitner's #8 selection, Maybin's #11, Lynch's #12, or McGahee's or McCargo's 1st-round status against them. Arguing that Whitner hasn't played up to his no.8 selection, while accurate, is pointless, because he simply should not have been picked that high. I am more pissed at Dicky J and the rest of the braintrust who passed on impact players who could have filled huge positional needs.

To say Whitner was the second best SS prospect implies that he was a first round prospect because of Huff's overrated status. That's not the case. For the most part Whitner was not considered even first round material, let alone #8 overall. And not to split hairs, because I mostly agree with what you say, but I don't think the Ravens would trade Ngata for our top ten pick straight up. Donte is less than worthless in a trade because of his high base salary because of his overdrafted status. He's making more than Ngata!

Whitner, Lynch etal were Marv Levy failures.

That being said two players from those drafts have made Pro Bowls...Lynch and now K Williams. Not that the Pro Bowl means a lot but does signify they are at least very good players.

It will always amazed me that our FO was sitting there on that faithfull day in the war room and agreed that Donte was the right pick. That is who the organization chose to rebuild the Bills. An effin safety.

And now we're already saying the same thing about Maybin.....

Anyone saying anything about Maybin is severely jumping the gun.

I think Whitner is released this offseason, given his contract and few contributions. We're in a different era with there being no cap in 2010 w/o a new CBA, and players like DW will suffer because of it.

But, with Lynch not being the starter anymore, what's that say about Levy's draft? They get worse with every game played. With four first day picks, he's come away with one starter: Posluszny. That's not good enough in a small market, which must get no fewer than 2-3 long term (4 or more years) starters. Buffalo blew 3 1sts in two years. Ouch.

I think Whitner is released this offseason, given his contract and few contributions. We're in a different era with there being no cap in 2010 w/o a new CBA, and players like DW will suffer because of it.

Whitner and Lynch won't be released or traded unless there's a good offer for them, get into more legal trouble, or before cutdowns in training camp. Their signing bonuses are already paid and they don't get their salary until the make the opening day roster.

Anyone saying anything about Maybin is severely jumping the gun.

I would normally agree with you but with Maybin, the writing is on the wall. He's stiff, shows no explosion off of the ball, zero instincts, skinny and looks completely lost. It's alright for a rookie QB to look lost, but the NFL has had plenty of pass rushers who come in and make an immediate impact becuase there is no thinking when you're rushing the passer. It's all about getting off of the ball and beating the man who is standing in front of you. Maybin got owned by every tackle, he didn't sniff the QB. This conversation can only go so far, but check back with me next year when he still looks the same.

I would normally agree with you but with Maybin, the writing is on the wall. He's stiff, shows no explosion off of the ball, zero instincts, skinny and looks completely lost. It's alright for a rookie QB to look lost, but the NFL has had plenty of pass rushers who come in and make an immediate impact becuase there is no thinking when you're rushing the passer. It's all about getting off of the ball and beating the man who is standing in front of you. Maybin got owned by every tackle, he didn't sniff the QB. This conversation can only go so far, but check back with me next year when he still looks the same.

Don't underscore the coaching aspect of it though...some of these guys could be shades better with coaching. Also Maybin is a youngster and is still learning to play the game.

beating the horse man.... Hes barely been of age to drink alcohol, this isn't the NBA. In 3 years i'll accept the bust card if he's not beasting it by then which he will be.