Report: Bucs tell Morris and staff that they'll be back

sven233

One city not mentioned in the article that could be a player for Cowher, is Houston. Kubiak's on the bubble here I believe, with a deep pocket owner.

If everything plays out like the article says, and Kubiak's fired, I would be shocked and upset with the league if Cowher chose the Texans over the Bills. Assuming we put the same offer on the table, and all contractual/power differences were circumstantial, that would be a big blow to Buffalo. We're a storied franchise. Cowher knows that, he tried to beat our superbowl teams plenty of times. I have to imagine that first impressions go along way and Buffalo's success is at least marginally ingrained in the back of Bill's head.

I don't think we'll get Cowher, but for other reasons. I think Bills fans have been so neglected, that it's sad that we're worrying about the Texans being a possible player. Really. They've never been to the playoffs. I know we've got a loooong drought, but come on.

Yeah, the Panthers said they want him back. Fox might not want to come back, but if he didn't, the Panthers would refuse to pay his 2010 salary. I doubt Fox would want to have no job and no money in 2010.

I think the Panthers and Fox are playing a cat and mouse game right now. Panthers would like Cowher (and I think Cowher would like to stay home in Carolina) but don't want to pay Fox the $6 million he's owed next year, so they can't just fire him. Instead they are giving him "the option to return" as a lame duck. Fox, meanwhile, would like an extension (see #6 here http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-...owl-misses.html ) and doesn't want to operate as a lame-duck coach. But he doesn't want to just resign and not get the $6 million.

I can see a buyout happening in the offseason for a figure < $6 million.

Dude, Fox isn't going anywhere, it's official.

Not so fast....

The only thing the Panthers have said is that they want Fox to come back and coach the remainder of his contract without getting any extension.

Fox will want to either get a new deal in Carolina or will want to have the Panthers trade his rights for draft picks to another team willing to give him a new contract. The Panthers are in a win-win situation. If such a trade occurs, then the Panthers are off the hook for paying Fox the last year of his contract and get additional draft picks and then can go ahead and hire Bill Cowher.

It will all boil down to if the Bills are willing to part with draft picks to get Fox. The question would be is "If Fox is drastically better than the other coaches that they are considering". My answer is No. Brian Billick is as accomplished HC as Fox, if not better and we can get him without having to part with draft picks...

That is the only way I see John Fox not coming to Buffalo.

BUT......this could also be the reason for a non high profile hire GM.

and the two have worked together in the past

Yes, you are mistaken.

Modrak worked in Pittsburgh with Cowher, not Nix.

And if Cowher is insistent on having final say, then I would move on. I'm not so sure why alot of people on this board are down on Nix. The guy only helped co-orchestrate the current Chargers roster.

Oh, and that roster is actually IN the playoffs this year, and has a 1st round bye.

I think the Panthers and Fox are playing a cat and mouse game right now. Panthers would like Cowher (and I think Cowher would like to stay home in Carolina) but don't want to pay Fox the $6 million he's owed next year, so they can't just fire him. Instead they are giving him "the option to return" as a lame duck. Fox, meanwhile, would like an extension (see #6 here http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-...owl-misses.html ) and doesn't want to operate as a lame-duck coach. But he doesn't want to just resign and not get the $6 million.

I can see a buyout happening in the offseason for a figure < $6 million.

A buyout is possible. The question becomes, how long does it take and will Cowher wait if it takes awhile?

Not so fast....

The only thing the Panthers have said is that they want Fox to come back and coach the remainder of his contract without getting any extension.

Fox will want to either get a new deal in Carolina or will want to have the Panthers trade his rights for draft picks to another team willing to give him a new contract. The Panthers are in a win-win situation. If such a trade occurs, then the Panthers are off the hook for paying Fox the last year of his contract and get additional draft picks and then can go ahead and hire Bill Cowher.

It will all boil down to if the Bills are willing to part with draft picks to get Fox. The question would be is "If Fox is drastically better than the other coaches that they are considering". My answer is No. Brian Billick is as accomplished HC as Fox, if not better and we can get him without having to part with draft picks...

That is the only way I see John Fox not coming to Buffalo.

The Bills won't trade draft picks for Fox. If anything, they'll wait for a buyout like Ozy suggested and then try and sign him.

He was HC at UT-Chattanooga before coming to the Buffalo Bills in 93.

You're right. I knew he'd been the head coach there, but I did not know how long. As it turns out, it was from 1984-1992. I'm not sure where I read the Cleveland thing, but obviously, it was wrong.

Apparently there are conflicting reports about whether Morris and co. will be back or not:

The source didn’t know what team or teams Cowher could be involved with, but NFL Network’s Jason LaCanfora said the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have reached out to the coach either directly or through his representation.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/02/cowher-has...istant-coaches/