playing NOT to win is legal.....

papazoid

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...sting-starters/

this issue came up in another post about a week ago.....i believe someone said it was illegal to not play to win.

basically the current rule says that teams have "earned" the right to rest starters in preparation for the playoffs, but that the competition committee will review this rule for next season.

EDIT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...using-starters/

Goodell looking for "incentives" to get teams to play their starters. possible extra draft pick.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this issue came up in another post about a week ago.....i believe someone said it was illegal to not play to win.

basically the current rule says that teams have "earned" the right to rest starters in preparation for the playoffs, but that the competition committee will review this rule for next season.

How the league office can compel a team to play its starters is difficult to see in execution.

This calls for a congressional hearing, what if the odds makers in vegas have a hand in this as well, the whole league is compromised. The NFL cant tell teams which players to start and which ones to sit, its absurd.

Besides, what if certain people looked at week 17 at the beginning of the year and put 20 large on the colts opponent. That would ruin my, i mean his/her system. Thats the NFl directly taking income out of somebody's pocket, it's completely unamerican, and if ur unamerican in america, then u can get out.

This calls for a congressional hearing

:bag:

Besides, what if certain people looked at week 17 at the beginning of the year and put 20 large on the colts opponent. That would ruin my, i mean his/her system. Thats the NFl directly taking income out of somebody's pocket, it's completely unamerican, and if ur unamerican in america, then u can get out.

Since when does the NFL take wagers on its games?

you are spot on with that - that is exactly the nfl policy. good job

i agree-- elsewise(is that a word?) jauron would be in attica

:bag:

Since when does the NFL take wagers on its games?

The League doesnt, but by forcing teams to play their starters in meaningless (to that team) games it will take money away from the fans who are placing large bets on those games.

Its a travesty, and a sham, and a mockery, a travishamockery, and it needs to be stopped, call congress, they can solve this, and the BCS too!!!!!!

Betting on sports is illegal in most states. This sounds like MJ users complaining about bongs being prohibited. :worthy:

dick jauron is illegal.

But stupidity is not. :bag:

The fact is everyone in the NFL i guess witht the excetion of the colts Knows that they could have played all their startes against the Jets and tried to win and give all the starters this week of or even 1 qtr of play and they would still go undefeated becuase our team riddle with injuries probably could not beat their third stringers.

The point I am trying to make is the Last game of the season is to rest your starters. DO you know how high the reatings would have been for NBC when the would have flexed the 15-0 colts to Sunday night alot of revenue lost and it would have mattered if they rested their players becuase unlike the Pats when the played the eagles in game 16 and had to play the whole game to win it the Colts didnt have to. Dont be Biased you know the peyton could easily have it 21-0 in the first qtr and let the rest of the team play from there.

I think the rule should be addressed and that starters can only be rested in the final week of the season in preperation for the playoffs. But why would a team who has the bye really neet to rest their starters?

How the league office can compel a team to play its starters is difficult to see in execution.

Yup. Just look at the Bills-Colts injury report, which included both of Indy's starting tackles and their top three DEs. Who's going to decide whether or not they're too hurt to play? Same deal with Brady spending all those years listed as "probable (shoulder)."

And we'll see whether or not Welker's blown-out knee, in a game they didn't need, changes anyone's opinion. Guarantee Polian mentions it at some point in the next couple of weeks...

Yup. Just look at the Bills-Colts injury report, which included both of Indy's starting tackles and their top three DEs. Who's going to decide whether or not they're too hurt to play? Same deal with Brady spending all those years listed as "probable (shoulder)."

And we'll see whether or not Welker's blown-out knee, in a game they didn't need, changes anyone's opinion. Guarantee Polian mentions it at some point in the next couple of weeks...

It doesn't change my opinion. The coaches should do whatever they feel necessary. It seems like a cop-out to sit your best players to avoid injury, but if that's what the coach wants to do, he has every right to do it.

It sucks that we now see the Jets in the playoffs and the Texans out of the playoffs because the Bengals didn't exactly come out playing inspired football last night. But that's the way it goes.

It sucks that the Colts didn't go for 16-0 and benched everyone, but that's what Caldwell/Polian wanted to do. They have every right to do it. (Side note: they better win the Superbowl now)

I think Goodell should leave this alone. No rules, no incentives. He's welcome to strongly suggest to everyone that they play their best players to maintain the integrity of the game, but he's better off not making any attempts at providing incentives. Like playoff-bound teams need draft picks for clinching a playoff spot....talk about not maintaining integrity - that's like giving tax breaks to corporations that turn millions in profit.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...using-starters/

Goodell looking for "incentives" to get teams to play their starters. possible extra draft pick.

Right. We get Indy's 1st round pick because we beat them in a meaningless game.

Wait. Maybe the Jests get Indy's 1st round pick because they beat them in an earlier meaningless game.

So we get Indy's 2nd round pick then?

Hell, let's just have Goodell give us Manning as fair compensation for the charade Indy foisted on the world.