Did Mike Leach really find it necessary

bills44

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Verdict: Slam dunk - Leach is a douche who forced a concussed player to be locked in a small, dark room because he didn't like him or his dad. The affidavits of those directly involved leave no more room for rational argument. Case closed.

Except, of course, for 3 very minor details - the rooms were neither small, nor dark, nor locked.

Except, of course, for 3 very minor details - the rooms were neither small, nor dark, nor locked.

Read the affidavits.

Trainer Pincock says when James did show up to practice on December 17th he was wearing street clothes, sunglasses, and his cap on backward, not the proper practice attire even for injured players, making Leach mad.

Pincock states in the affidavit "He did not want to see James. He wanted James to be uncomfortable. He did not want him showing poor effort." Pincock then says Leach told him to tell James he was to "Lock his (expletives) in a place so dark that the only way he knows he has a (expletive) is to reach down and touch it."

That's when Pincock says he put James in a sports training shed near the field for about three hours until practice was over and that he was not allowed to sit. An undergraduate trainer was placed outside the door to check on James.

After practice was over, Pincock says "I told James I was sorry for having to place him in a dark shed but that these were Leach's instructions. I do not agree with this form of treatment for anyone and I discussed this with James."

Dr. Phy adds "I did not instruct anyone with Texas Tech to place James in an enclosed and dark space, and in my medical opinion there was no medical reason to require James to stand in an enclosed dark space for up to three hours."

On December 19th the affidavits state James showed up to practice, this time wearing appropriate attire, but Leach still asked for him to be put in a dark space. Pincock then goes on to say "I noticed an electrical closet in the room and walked inside. I commented on the noise in the room and told him not to go in that room."

As for Pincock's personal opinion on this treatment, he states "I feel that Leach's treatment of James was inappropriate and I did not agree with it. However I felt I had to follow the instructions of the head coach."

Dr. Phy also says "In spite of the fact that James may not have been harmed by these actions, I consider this practice inappropriate and a deviation from the medical standard of care."

http://www.kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=11759800

"I have no complaints about this decision. [Leach] put Adam [James] in a shed like an animal. Like an animal in a cage. That was bull," defensive lineman Chris Perry said. "You call other players. I think it was a good decision. We have our pep back now. We practice hard this week. We had less stress this week. You know why? Because he's gone."

Wide receiver Tramain Swindall said he supported the decision to fire Leach.

"I do agree and I'm supporting Adam and what he's doing because it's the right thing to do," Swindall told the AP in a telephone interview.

Swindall said he believes Leach was at times out of line in how he treated players.

"And so do most of the players," he said. "It wasn't just about Adam. It was always a negative vibe."

Said cornerback Taylor Charbonnet: "The players make this team, not one coach. As Adam's friend, I didn't like it at all what [Leach] did. He was my brother and I didn't agree with it. I don't know why [Leach] did that. But I know we are fully behind [interim] coach Ruffin [McNeill]. We love him and support him."

According to his affidavit, taken by representatives of the university on Dec. 21 and signed on Jan. 1, trainer Steve Pincock did not agree with the treatment and said he knew of no other player ever being placed in a similar room.

In releasing the affidavits from Pincock and treating physician Dr. Michael Phy, the university said, "After coach Leach's conflicting recent media accounts of the treatment of James, the university asked witnesses to sign affidavits attesting to their original statements."

Phy told university officials in his affidavit that James "may not have been harmed," but he "considered this practice inappropriate, and a deviation from the medical standard of care."

Here comes the spin....

Two of those source are buried on the depth chart(Perry, Charbonnet) and logically would have sour grapes with the head coach. As far as the "medical treatment" statements, it wasn't medical treatment. The coach's decision was disciplinary in nature for a player with a "minor concussion" (he got his bell rung) who was, based on the statements of more credible sources, a distraction to the team and a threat to the authority of the coaching staff.

As far as the "medical treatment" statements, it wasn't medical treatment. The coach's decision was disciplinary in nature for a player with a "minor concussion" (he got his bell rung) who was, based on the statements of more credible sources, a distraction to the team and a threat to the authority of the coaching staff.

Locking a concussed player in a closet certainly helped him keep that authority. Brilliant!

Read the affidavits.

I did. Tell me, Judge Endzone - now that you've issued your ruling, have you also determined what, if any, damages are to be awarded? :lol:

You don't suppose that these affadavits that Pincock and Phy were forced to sign - after Leach's team released conflicting accounts - may have been at all coerced, do you? I mean, just because Tech just fired one of the most successful and prominent coaches in college football, these guys had nothing to fear regarding their own jobs, right?

Pincock said James was initially placed in a "sports medicine garage, there is no lock on this building." Pincock said injured players are typically asked to perform exercises during practice, but "James could not participate in these drills, and was originally asked to walk around the field."

"Adam showed up to practice in street clothes, no team gear, and dark sunglasses," Pincock said, according to the statement. "Adam walked about 40 to 50 yards, very slowly and with a non-caring attitude."

Pincock said Leach then asked that James be moved to a location "where sunlight could not bother him as he was wearing sunglasses."

"I instructed Adam to stay in the garage and out of the sun, so the light would not worsen his condition," Pincock said in the statement. "While in the garage, Adam was walking around, eating ice, sitting on the ground, and, at one point, sleeping; at no point was there any enforcement to make Adam stand up."

Link - Leach talks about firing, relationship with James family in first public interviews

I disagree with your slam-dunk assessment - this is obviously headed to the courts, as it should be, where a jury will decide who did what to whom.

You don't suppose that these affadavits that Pincock and Phy were forced to sign - after Leach's team released conflicting accounts - may have been at all coerced, do you? I mean, just because Tech just fired one of the most successful and prominent coaches in college football, these guys had nothing to fear regarding their own jobs, right?

First, the statements released from the university are dated and signed (presumably) on the 12/21 and 12/22. The releases were signed later, after Leach's side released their statements.

The statements released from Leach's side were dated 12/25 and 12/31. The 12/25 date is interesting. Leach was not suspended until the 28th. So why does Leach have a signed affidavit dated 3 days before the university took any disciplinary action? And was this affidavit given to the school before the 28th?

Second, you're implying the school coerced (in fear of their jobs) the witnesses to sign their affidavits after Leach got fired. That's a pretty strong accusation with almost nothing to back it up accept for speculation on your part.

The university may have blundered in handling this matter, but I honestly doubt they are stupid enough to start coercing witnesses to sign statements they did not make. The liability for legal and/or civil ramifications would be huge if they did.

Pincock said James was initially placed in a "sports medicine garage, there is no lock on this building." Pincock said injured players are typically asked to perform exercises during practice, but "James could not participate in these drills, and was originally asked to walk around the field."

What exactly is a "sports medicine garage"?

I disagree with your slam-dunk assessment - this is obviously headed to the courts, as it should be, where a jury will decide who did what to whom.

That is probably the only thing people will agree on.

You just don't seem to have much concern or regard for facts, do you?

1) As can be easily ascertained by the plethora of actual video footage of said 'tool shed', it was a rather large outbuilding adjacent the practice field, with running water, an ice machine, ventilation fans, and a 20'ceiling;

Some people call it a tool shed, I call it an outbuilding....... hmmmmm.

I did. Tell me, Judge Endzone - now that you've issued your ruling, have you also determined what, if any, damages are to be awarded? :thumbdown:

Link - Leach talks about firing, relationship with James family in first public interviews

I agree. Those affidavits are suspect, signed by two guys who don't want to get fired and want to make sure they get no part of the blame.

Why does anyone care about Leach, anyway? He seems to be an a-hole far as I can tell. The university obviously decided to fire him for grounds, and the affidavits back their decision. He was ultimately fired for insubordination for refusing to agree to limits set by the university on how players can be punished. This is only a controversy if you are in Mike Leach's immediate family.

I did. Tell me, Judge Endzone - now that you've issued your ruling, have you also determined what, if any, damages are to be awarded? :thumbdown:

And exactly how do you know which account/affadavit was forced, judge Senator? :blink:B-)

Because your hero Leach says it's so?

This is all a big mess and as you say the courts will sort it out. From my perspective Adam James sounds like a young man with some personal character issues. It also sounds to me that Mike Leach or someone on his staff overreacted to the situation with Adam James and his concussion.

To me, the most important thing is the apology the university was reportedly demanding by this past Monday. I don't hear much being said about it, was this indeed true? If it was, and Leach refused to sign anything then I think he's getting what he deserved and that the university wasn't necessarily out to get him. Even if the trainer or other member of the coaching staff was responsible for James' treatment then Leach is still responsible for those actions and should take responsibility for them.

Leach is to me a big prima donna and I'm sure he riled university admin. quite a bit. But they've put up with him this long and I wonder if he had taken some responsibility for this situation, even if he didn't admit personal wrongdoing, that he would still be the coach of the Red Raiders.

Sadly, the players and fans will lose the most from this. I watched the game and certainly Leach has built a good program.