Schopp just admits that it's personal with the Bills

PromoTheRobot

Grudge reminded me of Coach Dick(head)son. I think that show is what soured things between the Bills and 'GR.

PTR

That definitely got things started. It is also just not the type of media outlet you would ever want to have a relationship with. There really is no value to the team. No one actually gets there info from radio anymore. Which means all you are getting is their opinions. Why would any team want that? They would be better off releasing info here and taking the beating that comes with it. At least many people here are reasonably informed. It's unlikely that the WGR/Bills rift can ever be repaired. Greg Reid is also a big part of the problem. He is ultimately repsonsible for the amatuer hour that they call radio over there and has done nothing to improve it. I don't blame the Bills for freezing them out.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schopp was just doing a monologue on the Nix hiring and admitted that much of the anger WGR shows toward the Bills is personal. Something to do with the Bills not returning phone calls and such. He also went on to say that it's very important for the Bills to have a good relationship with the press because it would lead to better treatment.

This may be common sense but it strikes me as rather petty and cheapens what WGR is all about. Basically Schopp is saying suck up to us and we'll be nice. Cross us and we'll hammer you. I always thought, as sports journalists, their job is to report the sports news, not inject their bruised egos into what they do.

PTR

Schopp who??????????????

Schopp was just doing a monologue on the Nix hiring and admitted that much of the anger WGR shows toward the Bills is personal. Something to do with the Bills not returning phone calls and such. He also went on to say that it's very important for the Bills to have a good relationship with the press because it would lead to better treatment.

This may be common sense but it strikes me as rather petty and cheapens what WGR is all about. Basically Schopp is saying suck up to us and we'll be nice. Cross us and we'll hammer you. I always thought, as sports journalists, their job is to report the sports news, not inject their bruised egos into what they do.

PTR

Schopp who?????????????? Bless You.......................Shout!

Bottom line is this town is very close to having no local sports show programming. We should be grateful while we still have guys like Schoop around. Buffalo is not far away from being like a Hornell.

Grateful? haha.......you make it sound like if we lose Schopp we're no longer in the sports talk business. Trust me, he's not that important. He would be easily replaced. He is a frustrated baseball guy. He doesn't even like football, by his own admission. If i was the programming director at wgr, i would have replaced him long ago. I can't even listen to him. Sad thing is he has ruined bulldog's reputation as a credible sports guy. They both need to go .

Schopp who??????????????

Exactly. Stop tuning in and the problem will go away. If you want to go a step further, email the station and let his sponsors know you're boycotting their products for supporting his drivel. GR is nothing but hack amateur radio, from Schopp & the yes man to Simon and his cronies. :lol:

Bottom line is this town is very close to having no local sports show programming. We should be grateful while we still have guys like Schoop around. Buffalo is not far away from being like a Hornell.

please stick your head in a toilet, flush, then come back on to this web-site and start posting...thanks

PTR

turn the dial

Actually, WIVB did have it at least an hour before the press conference. So did the local papers, but without having it on record, they weren't allowed to run it. Such is the difference between broadcast and print media these days.

This actually is the problem. Maybe my expectations are just too high but I would expect actual reporters to do a lot better than an hour before having word on who will be hired. Perhaps I am spoiled by a character as remote as Chris Berman seemingly having day of knowledge of who the Bills would pick with their 1st rounder, but I would hope that a local reporter on the scene would have built contacts and a reporting network that pretty much a couple of days priorto a galactic decision like the hiring of a GM a pretty good idea would be had about who it might be.

The reality was that not only did the press find out at about the same time as us rubes on TSW, but in the Xmas holiday vacuum the local press was simply locked into fan like theorizing about who the next coach we would hire would be,

One would think competent reporters would at least have a notion that the Bills were gonna go GM first and that given apparently was not only Nix interviewed and they finalized a complex deal s GM contract must be but they interviewed another internal candidate who was likely #2 (Guy?) and possibly several out of town candidates.

The local press swung and missed on this one but quite frankly they may have just struck out not even looking.

• 3 weeks later...

PTR

Schopp knows jack s$#t about the NFL. He has no idea what hes talking about most of the time. He is the average fan that jumps on bandwagons just like he did in 08 calling for deep runs in the playoffs and wondered why we shouldnt have been talking about potential Super Bowls when we were 5-1. I wouldnt cross him if it came to tennis though. He really knows who the best backhand in that sport is.

The Schlepper said yesterday that he was not a Bills fan. Why is the guy even employed on a Buffalo sports radio station then? GR has problems and the first thing in fixing that problem would be firing Schlepp!

Schlepp is about as useless as tiits on a bull!

This actually is the problem. Maybe my expectations are just too high but I would expect actual reporters to do a lot better than an hour before having word on who will be hired. Perhaps I am spoiled by a character as remote as Chris Berman seemingly having day of knowledge of who the Bills would pick with their 1st rounder, but I would hope that a local reporter on the scene would have built contacts and a reporting network that pretty much a couple of days priorto a galactic decision like the hiring of a GM a pretty good idea would be had about who it might be.

The reality was that not only did the press find out at about the same time as us rubes on TSW, but in the Xmas holiday vacuum the local press was simply locked into fan like theorizing about who the next coach we would hire would be,

One would think competent reporters would at least have a notion that the Bills were gonna go GM first and that given apparently was not only Nix interviewed and they finalized a complex deal s GM contract must be but they interviewed another internal candidate who was likely #2 (Guy?) and possibly several out of town candidates.

The local press swung and missed on this one but quite frankly they may have just struck out not even looking.

with all due respect:

-- everyone was taken by surprise by the GM hire.

-- many in the media DID in FACT suggest the team would hire a GM first.

-- Russ Brandon rarely meets with reporters, and Ralph Wilson has, for the most part, been incommunicado.

-- Gailey was so far off the radar, and Nix so new to the process that it was nearly impossible to build contacts with either of the two.

-- the local press wasn't the only ones going ga-ga on speculation. i seem to recall a group of fans, several bloggers and numerous posters clamoring for Bill Cowher, even after Ralph Wilson all but ruled him out. there was even one post here that questioned what Mr. Wilson actually told The Associated Press and suggested the Cowher was still in the running. (oh, really?).

-- numerous local reporters didn't go the tweets-as-so-called-journalism route, which truly led to mass confusion, angst and spotty factual reporting.

sure, there were misses here. but to say we weren't looking is going a little overboard.

as for Berman's cab driver, please. he gets tipped off 2 minutes before the pick is in. i'll allow him that amusing scoop.

j (group me among the incompetent if you like) w.

with all due respect:

-- Russ Brandon rarely meets with reporters, and Ralph Wilson has, for the most part, been incommunicado.

-- Gailey was so far off the radar, and Nix so new to the process that it was nearly impossible to build contacts with either of the two.

-- the local press wasn't the only ones going ga-ga on speculation. i seem to recall a group of fans, several bloggers and numerous posters clamoring for Bill Cowher, even after Ralph Wilson all but ruled him out. there was even one post here that questioned what Mr. Wilson actually told The Associated Press and suggested the Cowher was still in the running. (oh, really?).

-- numerous local reporters didn't go the tweets-as-so-called-journalism route, which truly led to mass confusion, angst and spotty factual reporting.

sure, there were misses here. but to say we weren't looking is going a little overboard.

as for Berman's cab driver, please. he gets tipped off 2 minutes before the pick is in. i'll allow him that amusing scoop.

Joe Logan, we hardly knew ye ...

with all due respect:

Naw John, we like you. You post here and you gave us that awesome scoop about the Bills hiring __________________ as the new head coach. :unsure:

I do take issue with so called media sites like PFT just regurgitating speculation like it's fact. Florio had a post about a "source" who went off about how the Bills hiring of Buddy Nix was a slap in the face of all of the hard working GM candidates in the NFL. I personally think his "source" was another reporter who just wanted to vent without it coming back to him.

Both Tim and yourself Mr. Wawrow make the wall a better place. To both of your credit neither hide behind anonymity as such both of you have targets on your backs. At least by this person you are very much appreciated. :unsure:

with all due respect: