Schopp just admits that it's personal with the Bills

PromoTheRobot

I wouldn't disagree. Then again, I've been accused of those same attributes a few times myself. :bag:

In case anyone wonders, the "isn't a journalist" line wasn't meant as an insult. Mike has actually covered the team for print, much as any beat writer would -- he wrote for Shout! magazine for a while, in fact. That detached objectivity just isn't part of his current job description. If it was, he'd put people to sleep during the afternoon rush hour, and that might not be such a good thing.

And in his role as a host, when Donahoe froze out WGR -- including Howard, who didn't even work there when the feud began -- it directly affected his job. As we all know, Donahoe's been gone for a while, and maybe it's long past time to let it drop (especially since there was plenty of blame to go around on that deal) ... but I do understand the hard feelings on both sides.

As always, just my opinion.

At MINIMUM I expect him to watch the Bills game on Sunday that he will be talking about all week. The Atlanta game he had 2 other WGR buddies over and he bragged about not watching the Bills game but instead watched NFL redzone...

Sorry...thats absolute BS...and is a disservice to Buffalo Bills fans who listen...and only listen because they are the only show in town

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't disagree. Then again, I've been accused of those same attributes a few times myself. :bag:

In case anyone wonders, the "isn't a journalist" line wasn't meant as an insult. Mike has actually covered the team for print, much as any beat writer would -- he wrote for Shout! magazine for a while, in fact. That detached objectivity just isn't part of his current job description. If it was, he'd put people to sleep during the afternoon rush hour, and that might not be such a good thing.

And in his role as a host, when Donahoe froze out WGR -- including Howard, who didn't even work there when the feud began -- it directly affected his job. As we all know, Donahoe's been gone for a while, and maybe it's long past time to let it drop (especially since there was plenty of blame to go around on that deal) ... but I do understand the hard feelings on both sides.

As always, just my opinion.

Exactly. It directly affected his job. Which is why he should go out of his way to work with the organization. Again, the Bills have no reason to try to develop a relationship with him. There are plenty of other outlets to focus on. I am sure it would be nice to work with the local sports station, but there is really no incentive fo them. Not to mention their games are carried elsewhere on a station that pays the team. Why help the competition? The onus is on Schopp to create the relationship. If the way he "interacts" with callers is any indication, that would be impossible. I can't blame them for not working with him. If you have listened to stations in other markets and satellite, it is pretty clear that he is simply not very good.

Schopp was just doing a monologue on the Nix hiring and admitted that much of the anger WGR shows toward the Bills is personal. Something to do with the Bills not returning phone calls and such. He also went on to say that it's very important for the Bills to have a good relationship with the press because it would lead to better treatment.

This may be common sense but it strikes me as rather petty and cheapens what WGR is all about. Basically Schopp is saying suck up to us and we'll be nice. Cross us and we'll hammer you. I always thought, as sports journalists, their job is to report the sports news, not inject their bruised egos into what they do.

PTR

Usually there is a shared degree of responsibility.

Oftentimes, teams want a Chris Brown-type of reporting, and most often reporters allowed in the locker room are quick to comply. Atleast, as long as they still want to be ALLOWED into the locker room.

Print something controversial or not with the party-line, and things could get ugly. Like banned ugly.

This could stem from leaking stories that were meant to be private conversation and "not fit to print", publicly criticizing the team, and revealing sources that wished to remain anonymous.

It could also come from just plain being retarded (which I think Schopp and the Bulldog are) and the Bills deciding that they can survive without giving those 2 hacks respect.

I personally feel it is the latter.

Basically Schopp is saying suck up to us and we'll be nice. Cross us and we'll hammer you.

PTR

Not defending anyone, as I don't really listen to him from out of town.

You could turn that around and say, "Hey Bills, don't suck and we'll be nice; suck and we'll hammer you".

The Bills suck right now and have for a loooooong time. I think they get what they deserve in the press.

Schopp was just doing a monologue on the Nix hiring and admitted that much of the anger WGR shows toward the Bills is personal. Something to do with the Bills not returning phone calls and such. He also went on to say that it's very important for the Bills to have a good relationship with the press because it would lead to better treatment.

This may be common sense but it strikes me as rather petty and cheapens what WGR is all about. Basically Schopp is saying suck up to us and we'll be nice. Cross us and we'll hammer you. I always thought, as sports journalists, their job is to report the sports news, not inject their bruised egos into what they do.

PTR

He (Schopp) doesn't deserve the space you all are giving him on this board. Same for the Bullfrog.

PTR

For the 1 millionth time.... Mike Schopp, as well as Jerry Sullivan and every one else over at WGR who have talk shows are paid to give their opinions, biased or not. Why is this shocking? They aren't there to be credible news men because they aren't. They give opinions about sports, that's there job. You don't have to like their opinions or their their show, but they are paid to tell you what they think, be it right or wrong.

I'm so tired of you people with this. They are NOT SPORTS JOURNALISTS, they never were. they are sports opinion columnists... a MAJOR difference. They inject what ever they want and that's why you listen to them, because it's interesting or at least makes you upset.

Now if Paul Hamilton, who is a sports journalist/beat reporter, said that I could understand the issue because he is paid to give only a report about what he sees and hears. There is a HUGE difference.

Despite what Mike's degree says, in his current role, he's not a journalist (which would imply remaining objective). He's a sports radio talk-show host, paid to express his opinions and get his listeners to interact with him on the air.

Think I've made it clear over the years that I'm not a fan of his, but to fall back on a cliche, "it is what it is."

That depends upon of what your definitions of is, is!

Off-topic:

FWIW, it certainly seems like any thread with "Schopp", "Bulldog" and/or "WGR" in it always seems to create a lot of buzz. In a slight bit of irony, those passionately posting criticism against them are probably indirectly guaranteeing their tenure.

For the 1 millionth time.... Mike Schopp, as well as Jerry Sullivan and every one else over at WGR who have talk shows are paid to give their opinions, biased or not. Why is this shocking? They aren't there to be credible news men because they aren't. They give opinions about sports, that's there job. You don't have to like their opinions or their their show, but they are paid to tell you what they think, be it right or wrong.

I'm so tired of you people with this. They are NOT SPORTS JOURNALISTS, they never were. they are sports opinion columnists... a MAJOR difference. They inject what ever they want and that's why you listen to them, because it's interesting or at least makes you upset.

Now if Paul Hamilton, who is a sports journalist/beat reporter, said that I could understand the issue because he is paid to give only a report about what he sees and hears. There is a HUGE difference.

Which is why Schopp doesn't get any info from the team or have a relationship with them. That is what started this thread. You are right, they can continue give their opinion regardless of how uninformed it may be. However they should not expect to ever get anything from the Bills. Beacuse as you point out, they are not real journalists.

But I can at least expect the opinion to be INFORMED.....otherwise lets put a 4 yr old on their and have them voice their opinion.....afterall its just opinion....like it or not....

Off-topic:

FWIW, it certainly seems like any thread with "Schopp", "Bulldog" and/or "WGR" in it always seems to create a lot of buzz. In a slight bit of irony, those passionately posting criticism against them are probably indirectly guaranteeing their tenure.

Bingo.

Bingo.

And this justifies everything?

especially when these fools hide behind ratings of a sports station where there is NO competition....

The buzz is always created here because sports fans in Buffalo are always irritated (not entertained nor informed) by the situation......give them competition then tell me about your ratings....

Keep telling yourself that. Just another topic to talk about. I have sirius and love listening to it. I am sure there are many others. Doesn't mean we can't talk about what a clown he is or how bad WGR is.

You do realize you're talking to one of the biggest WNSA homers on here, don't you? One who spent the entire run of Simon+Brinson/the Simoncast actively promoting the show at the expense of WGR?

Or maybe you don't, so I'll clarify: I listen to some of the hosts (mostly Howard and Nick) on GR. Others (including Schopp), not so much. But it never ceases to amuse me when someone starts an anti-Schopp thread here by ranting about something he said, when the answer -- find something else to listen to -- would seem to be so obvious.

a little crass, but i can't disagree with the sentiment.

Schopp has some good shows though. The guy is just a little too moody for my liking. You can usually tell within a few minutes by seeing how he treats the callers, sometimes he's engaging and works WITH the caller, and other days he's downright rude to them.

Some callers are jerks and I understand his defensiveness, but other times you can tell its a first time caller a little nervous and he'll blast em too early or be insensitive and not help them clarify their point. I feel sorry for the old timers that call on bad Schopp days or the shy guys that you can tell are nervous on the phone cause they'll never try a call again after they get embarassed like that..

I tune in and see how Mike's mood is and half the time I end up staying, the other half I shut it down and go with tunes.

Bulldog's enthusiasm can get you through a lame Schopp mood too, gotta look for that. If you get him on this third cup of Jo its worth a listen.

You do realize you're talking to one of the biggest WNSA homers on here, don't you? One who spent the entire run of Simon+Brinson/the Simoncast actively promoting the show at the expense of WGR?

Or maybe you don't, so I'll clarify: I listen to some of the hosts (mostly Howard and Nick) on GR. Others (including Schopp), not so much. But it never ceases to amuse me when someone starts an anti-Schopp thread here by ranting about something he said, when the answer -- find something else to listen to -- would seem to be so obvious.

Sorry. Didn't have your bio. I was just going off the post. You can have an opinion on him even though you have found alternatives.

I listen to a ton of sports talk radio, and have for a long long time, so I'm always interested in these threads.

The thing is that I've changed what I post into these threads over the last few years. A few years ago, I really would have been tempted to just punch Mike Schoop in the face if I was ever introduced to him (as I had been when he was just starting at WNSA). He was so anti-Bills and pro-Sabres that it made my blood boil...........And, I would post just like 95% of the people on this and most threads do about how much I hate him. And, people on here defending him would say just turn the dial. And, I would be like to what - there is no other sports station in town!?!

Now, I really think that he has changed since Donahoe left, and it seems like I'm the only one who thinks this. Alan Pergament still hammers him, which I used to be gleeful about. And, everybody says what's already been said on this thread.

I do still think he's an ahole on the postgame show, and just should not be on that. However, during the week, I think he's fair and without the agenda I think he used to have. He gives the Bills credit when they deserve it, and he hammers them when they should be hammered (which these days is most of the time, unfortunately). I've also found him to be very critical of the Sabres when they needed to be hammered, so I find that refreshing, too (that he's no longer just a cheerleader for them).

I no longer think his default place is Bills vitriol for vitriol's sake. Does anybody else see a change or am I delusional?

I think some posters here either were not around or have forgotten about the history which truly defines the WGR/Bills relationship.

Back in the 90s or maybe even some of the early 00s, WGR rather than the FM rock folks actually used to be the flagship station for the Bills. As part of this relationship they seemed to provide almost 24/7 coverage of the Bills and played host to shows like the Ruben Brown show.

However, at some point the relationship began to degrade and then fall apart (I cannot remember which happened first) but it actually took some time to disentangle their relationship as several supporting contracts and deals had been made and it took time for all of them to run out.

In this interim period there was still alot of Bills coverage on WGR (and how could there not be as there remained tons of interest generated by the glory teams of the early 90s) but the WGR coverage was defined by former Bills coach who simply hated Marv Levy who had fired him ruinning his mouth doing analysis.

I actually found some of the Dickerson analysis to be very good to listen to. He was fairly recently removed from the team but had lots of buddies and contacts with the team which allowed him insights into real news. However, over time, his players and friends retired or were traded and his schtick mostly was to rag stupidly about the Bills no matter what they did (at his worst he went big time after Glenn Parker and essentially drove him out of town but he landed in NYG where he proved to be a key acquisition in Mouse MacNally coaching their OL to an SB berth). The Coach (as Dickerson sold himself) was hoist on his own professional petard when he swore up and down that Corey Louchiey was the answer for the Bills at LT and when this actually happened when Parker left town the venal stupidity of the Coach was revealed.

The WGR/Bills relationship totally disintegrated when with no official remaining ties to the Bills and with Dickerson off to FL and out of gas, the station managed to pick up the Sabres and tried to cover the Bills only to rag on them no matter what they did.

its been a long time since WGR really practiced any journalism regarding the Bills. They were in the bag for the Bills and then in the bag against them but the only thing is they have always been in the bag with a pre-determined mantra which drove beat coverage rather than having any journalistic commitment to truth.

It has become a station mainly for hockey fans. All on-air personnel are love-hockey-first guys and since they got the Sabres games, they are basically cheerleaders. They cover the Bills grudgingly. Obviously, they are betting on the Bills leaving town.