Shocking news! Clayton doesn't believe Sal's report

Whitner20

Just for the sake of clarity, Tampa is not "much closer" to NC than Buffalo is. About 10 hours drive either way. But they are both far enough that it's a flight anyway so that's irrelevant.

The attraction to Buffalo versus other markets is the relative lack of distraction for the players and the rabid fan base. Pro football is huge here. It's not nearly the same in Tampa. Sometimes a more "comfortable" place to live is not the place to reach your potential.

No, the real reason Buffalo can't draw the attention of most big name coaches is the poor ownership and history of failure by past coaches. We are like the Arizona Cardinals were a decade ago.

You are right about the distance, Buffalo is actually about 100 miles closer than Tampa, my mistake.

You are wrong about Football in Tampa. Tampa is NOT Jacksonville!!!!!!! Tampa has supported the Bucs since the beginning & aside from the Gruden years the Bucs have had terrible teams, so throw out history of failure by bad coaches as a Buffalo problem alone. Tampa also supported the Tampa Bay Bandits of the USFL. (Now they were a fun team to watch)

If the Tampa job were to open it would be more attractive to a Coach than Buffalo for a number of reasons.

#1 NO STATE INCOME TAX

2 Great Facilities

3 Great Weather & Area to live (makes the wife HAPPY)

4 Freeman is a MUCH BETTER QB than ANY on the Bills & the kind of QB a Coach can build a team around for YEARS.

However as I said before, I would be surprised if the Bucs fire Morris so I doubt the job will be available.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffalo-NC versus Tampa-NC are practically the same distance via car. I can guarantee Buffalo Bill Cowher would make up any slight time differential in air travel by way of ease of getting thru Buffalo-Niagara airport versus the daily mess at the Tampa airport.

Nevertheless, Clayton is a little piece of wood that fuels the fire of God's wrath. Leviticus 18. A twink. So 'out of touch' with this situation that he believe's Haslett is embraced by the Buffalo community...? I'll admit, I actually like Jim, but I've read/heard NOTHING but local hate for Jim Haslett. Mark Tressman... come on... who's gonna buy tickets... no way. We will land the biggest fish we can get our hook on.

If Cowher really wants to prove his ability- this is it. Lounging around tropical places like Tampa or Carolina would be a total cop out on his part, although being close to home, I can understand. But where's the TV studio he's been at every Sunday the last 2 years located... close to home?

If I were the top-rated coach out there... I'd be salivating at this opportunity... to show-off AND be a savior + legend.

I know that most fans wouldn't support Tressman from the Allouettes of the CFL, but he might actually be a good choice. He has NFL coaching experience and has had some great success as a Head Coach in the CFL. Whats the difference between getting one fo the better CFL coaches, or a College coach? Fans might not like it cause its not a big NFL name, but it could be the best option.

As for the TV studio comment, he is there for a couple days a week (maybe 2-3?) working, as a coach he is there working 7 days, with LONG hours so being close to home is a huge advantage to most with a family and that kind of work.

If you are a big time head coach, why do you need to show off and be a saviour/legend. Cowher already is basically a legend in Pittsburgh and is more then likely already a HOF coach with nothing left to prove to the league. He had a long tenure as a HC in Pittsburgh and built a great team that has one the big game, whats left?

You are right about the distance, Buffalo is actually about 100 miles closer than Tampa, my mistake.

You are wrong about Football in Tampa. Tampa is NOT Jacksonville!!!!!!! Tampa has supported the Bucs since the beginning & aside from the Gruden years the Bucs have had terrible teams, so throw out history of failure by bad coaches as a Buffalo problem alone. Tampa also supported the Tampa Bay Bandits of the USFL. (Now they were a fun team to watch)

If the Tampa job were to open it would be more attractive to a Coach than Buffalo for a number of reasons.

#1 NO STATE INCOME TAX

2 Great Facilities

4 Freeman is a MUCH BETTER QB than ANY on the Bills & the kind of QB a Coach can build a team around for YEARS.

However as I said before, I would be surprised if the Bucs fire Morris so I doubt the job will be available.

I've been to two Bucs games in the last 4 years and I found their fans to be VERY passionate and also knowledgeable

Except if your Bill Parcells, who doesn't give a hoot. (bye bye Cam Cameron)

But it basically has to be a case that is that extreme - where the team goes 1-15. Morris has at least won three and has the team playing better (2 wins in a row).

The only other coach I can think of being fired after one season is Ray Rhodes, and that was under weird circumstances.

But it basically has to be a case that is that extreme - where the team goes 1-15. Morris has at least won three and has the team playing better (2 wins in a row).

The only other coach I can think of being fired after one season is Ray Rhodes, and that was under weird circumstances.

I still don't completely understand what happened there in Green Bay with him.

#1 NO STATE INCOME TAX

2 Great Facilities

Like I said... lounging around the gold coast gay beaches with:

2 Great Facilities

3 Great Weather & Area to live

Tampa being a better area to live is open to debate (laugh on). Hurricanes, tornados, traffic, high crime, expensive real estate...

I know that most fans wouldn't support Tressman from the Allouettes of the CFL, but he might actually be a good choice. He has NFL coaching experience and has had some great success as a Head Coach in the CFL. Whats the difference between getting one fo the better CFL coaches, or a College coach? Fans might not like it cause its not a big NFL name, but it could be the best option.

As for the TV studio comment, he is there for a couple days a week (maybe 2-3?) working, as a coach he is there working 7 days, with LONG hours so being close to home is a huge advantage to most with a family and that kind of work.

If you are a big time head coach, why do you need to show off and be a saviour/legend. Cowher already is basically a legend in Pittsburgh and is more then likely already a HOF coach with nothing left to prove to the league. He had a long tenure as a HC in Pittsburgh and built a great team that has one the big game, whats left?

[/quote

Because the human nature of an overachiever would be to take a mess (Buffalo Bills) and turn it around, furthermore establishing a legacy.

Nevertheless, you didn't state anything I didn't already realize (like working for TV 2-3 days per week... long tenure in Pitt... big deal). The man is primed to (most likely) cash in on one of the most delicious paydays in coaching history. He should work for it. He should be honered by the challenge. That's how winners think.

Backtrack your thoughts and take a look at the rubbish Bill Parcells has taken-in under his wings and turned-around in his career.

Like I said... lounging around the gold coast gay beaches with:

2 Great Facilities

3 Great Weather & Area to live

Tampa being a better area to live is open to debate (laugh on). Hurricanes, tornados, traffic, high crime, expensive real estate...

We haven't had a Hurricane in years. I have never seen a Tornado since I have been living here. Traffic is not that bad, not like Buffalo, but what City is? High Crime? I don't think it is too bad........just watch your children ( for some reason Fla does attract some CRAZIES) There are some gay beaches, but I say live & let live, I just don't go there..............there are MANY beaches that aren't gay.

Because the human nature of an overachiever would be to take a mess (Buffalo Bills) and turn it around, furthermore establishing a legacy.

Nevertheless, you didn't state anything I didn't already realize (like working for TV 2-3 days per week... long tenure in Pitt... big deal). The man is primed to (most likely) cash in on one of the most delicious paydays in coaching history. He should work for it. He should be honered by the challenge. That's how winners think.

Backtrack your thoughts and take a look at the rubbish Bill Parcells has taken-in under his wings and turned-around in his career.

But you are assuming he is someone who feels he still needs to "establish his legacy" He left on his own terms from Pittsburgh. He doesn't have anything to prove in this league and is set financially as he can stay working the TV gig for a long time making almost as much money as a coach for alot less work. You assume that he needs/wants the money, and he already is a winner, he doesn't have to prove anything to anyone, this is just Bills fans trying to rationalise why they think he should take the Buffalo job over anywhere else. If coaches care so much about turning around messes of franchises to establish legacies, why aren't coaches knocking down the door at OBD to take this prime position?

Cowher doesn't need the money, and he doesn't need to do anything to establish his legacy. If/when he comes back, it will be because it suits him and his family the best

Sal claims he has sources saying what he reported. Clayton said he doesn't think Cowher will be the Bills coach. And when Adam Begnini pressed him on who else the Bills might be looking at he threw out the usual names with no added info.

I'm not claiming Sal has better info, but at least he is attributing his news to a (unnamed) source. He is staking his reputation, for what it's worth. Gazoo is just giving an opinion. He may have good reason for that opinion but he did not say "I spoke to Cowher and he said no to Buffalo." He also did not offer one credible bit of news on the Bills coaching search. Just the usual list of names. Why Haslett? He was a Bill? Did he talk to Haslett? Did he ask Brandon about Haslett? No, because if he had, he would have reported it as such.

PTR

I'd have to agree

Just for the sake of clarity, Tampa is not "much closer" to NC than Buffalo is. About 10 hours drive either way. But they are both far enough that it's a flight anyway so that's irrelevant.

The attraction to Buffalo versus other markets is the relative lack of distraction for the players and the rabid fan base. Pro football is huge here. It's not nearly the same in Tampa. Sometimes a more "comfortable" place to live is not the place to reach your potential.

No, the real reason Buffalo can't draw the attention of most big name coaches is the poor ownership and history of failure by past coaches. We are like the Arizona Cardinals were a decade ago.

Disagree with that statement...

The weather stinks... jobs and people leaving upstate NY in doves...high taxes... old stadium... older owner, who is notoriously cheap... play in bad weather outside near the end of the season.

The old owner Bill Bidwell used to actually sit in on every player that was signed to HIS team. He has retired, and now lets his sons run the team. They made the choice to hire the chin 2 and finally pay the players that deserve it, and the result is a winning org.

Tampa has GREAT facilities, is much closer to his home in Carolina [741 miles] than Buffalo [660 miles], has great weather [like hurricanes and drought] & is a very nice area to live (Tony Dungy will tell you so)[who says Michael Vick is a nice man]

Josh Freeman is BETTER than any QB on the Bills. [that can be remedied in a single trade or draft pick]

If the Bucs win this week, I would be surprised if Morris gets fired. The players love him & he seems to be a Coach with a future in the NFL. The Glazers are also strapped for cash since they bought Manchester United, so I doubt they will want to pay Gruden, Morris & Cowher for the next few years, especially since there may be no football in 2011. [Then, by that argument - why would they hire Cowher? They will have to pay Morris anyway.]

1 the panthers are going to keep fox

2 the bucs are going to keep morris

3 cowher has family in pitt which is very close to buffalo

4 buffalo is similar to pitt

5 wilson is willing to give up some power to cowher

6 buffalo is willing to pay top dollar

7 the bills are looking for a top tier head coach

cowher will be the bills next coach. it makes the most sense.....

One major difference is direct flights to Tampa from Raleigh but always need a connection to get to Buffalo. Maybe if Cowher comes to buffalo we will get a direct flight! That would make it great for all of us Buffalo and WNY folks living here in Raleigh

Tampa has GREAT facilities, is much closer to his home in Carolina than Buffalo, has great weather & is a very nice area to live (Tony Dungy will tell you so)

Josh Freeman is BETTER than any QB on the Bills. He reminds me of Doug Williams. I think he is going to be a GREAT QB. He has the size of Big Ben but is much more mobile, has a GREAT arm & seems to have a love of the game.

If the Bucs win this week, I would be surprised if Morris gets fired. The players love him & he seems to be a Coach with a future in the NFL. The Glazers are also strapped for cash since they bought Manchester United, so I doubt they will want to pay Gruden, Morris & Cowher for the next few years, especially since there may be no football in 2011.

Very good post. Between the Ralph, the city and the weather, no big name with other options (or probably at all) is coming to the Bills. Unless you have ties to the area, when you have choices, Buffalo, New York is likely near the bottom of anyone's list in any field.