ESPN INSIDER: "Cowher to Bills back on"?

RocBillsfan

Personally I hope he can at least be a football czar like the browns now have, as the director of football operations, then hire a g.m. ala jeff ireland of the Miami Dolphins. If Bill decides to keep those schmucks John Guy, and Tom Modrak, thats fine they would have to answer to them if not bring in other guys that are established. from there hire a legit HC such as Grimm (OL guru sounds good to fix the Bills OL issues), Brian Schottenheimer or someobdy eles he believes in

I am confused...What exactly would on OL guru coach do?

I'm thinking keeping from getting them injured....miraculously make them All-Pro? Please explain.

The way I see it, considering the injuries and lack of Offensive leadership on this team, the Bills already have an OL guru given the way he has put together and kept this OL with all the adversity they have had to overcome.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to show everyone has their own differing opinions for all kinds of life choices, I grew up in Buffalo (18 yrs), currently live in Raleigh, visit Buffalo at least twice a year, every year - and wouldn't move back to Buffalo from Raleigh if you paid me and put a gun to my head.

The bottom line is that no one really knows what Cowher's personal feelings are and what other factors may influence his decision - it's all speculation.

DONT LET THE DOOR HIT U ON THE !@#$ING WAY OUT, !@#$

Just to show everyone has their own differing opinions for all kinds of life choices, I grew up in Buffalo (18 yrs), currently live in Raleigh, visit Buffalo at least twice a year, every year - and wouldn't move back to Buffalo from Raleigh if you paid me and put a gun to my head.

The bottom line is that no one really knows what Cowher's personal feelings are and what other factors may influence his decision - it's all speculation.

Buffalo has chicken wings. Nuff said. :rolleyes:

One question to ponder: if Cowher were to come to Buffalo, and since Cowher worked in Pittsburgh with both Modrak and Guy, does this mean that Modrak and Guy are now safe?

But if bringing in Cowher means keeping Modrak and Guy, I'd rather NOT have Cowher.

As you probably knew or know by now, Cowher won a power struggle in Pittsburgh which led to Donahoe's dismissal. Donahoe brought Modrak with him to Buffalo and the two are close friends. I don't know (in the hypothetical that the Bills hire Cowher) what would happen to Modrak. But I doubt that the hiring of Cowher would strengthen Modrak's position here.

I also think it's nonsensical to believe the conspiracy theory that the Bills are trying to make a good show of their coaching search for the sake of marketing. If you look at it, this theory makes no sense at all.

What does make sense however is that Cowher would show an interest in the Buffalo job, as it would only help to drive up the bidding for his services. It would be the coaching equivalent of Fred Taylor visiting the Bills this past offseason before signing with the Patriots.

What does make sense however is that Cowher would show an interest in the Buffalo job, as it would only help to drive up the bidding for his services. It would be the coaching equivalent of Fred Taylor visiting the Bills this past offseason before signing with the Patriots.

valid point but I don't buy it...does a coach like cowher really need to "drive up" his value?

If you paid Cowher as much money as he wanted, gave him as much control as he wanted, and gave him any player he wanted, he still wouldn't come to Buffalo. His wife basically forced him to leave Pittsburgh to go back to her home and a warmer climate; she's not going to let him go to Buffalo, quite arguably the worst city in the NFL.

If that was the only reason Cowher wouldn't come to Buffalo then Cowher is seriously putting the kitty on the pedestal. If I am Bill Cowher and I wanted to come to Buffalo then I wouldn't let my wife not wanting to live in a colder climate be the reason I wouldn't go. Its one thing if my wife wanted to have me home more or my wife wanted me to spend more time with my children BUT she doesn't like the cold well that is just not going to fly.

If I wanted to coach somewhere and the only issue my family had was that it got cold there I would tell them tough you know what suck it up for a few months and in the offseason we can live in a warmer climate.

I live in New Orleans now, but I do want to comment on most board member's opinion of Buffalo. Contrary to the negative perception that gets talked about all of the time, Buffalo is actually a great place. I would move there before Raliegh. Raliegh Sucks! I've been a few times and look forward to leaving every time. It has NO soul. Buffalo might be experiencing some economic struggles, but it has a soul and a big one at that. A lot of people on this board downplay the city's strengths and seem to always focus on its shortcomings. This really needs to stop. Take a look again, you might actually like what you see.

Nice post.

I've always wondered about all the "Buffalo sucks" comments comming from Bills fans. If you are from there or have spent real time, you know what it has to offer - and how hard it is to find somewhere else.

I want to agree, but organizational change in how the Bills are managed and by whom (Overdorf) needs to be changed. The scouting staff needs a major retooling and upgrade (bye bye, Modrak). The Pro Personnel department just plain sucks (See ya later, Guy...don't let the door hit ya on the way out).

Cowher was good in Pittsburgh, don't get me wrong, but as others have correctly observed on this blog, it was not until Big Ben got to the Steelers that things really changed. Cowher has had his share of losing seasons.

There are only 2 one shot wonders in the league that have constantly proven themselves as far as I am concerned: Bill Polian and Bill Parcells. Otherwise, to put all of your stock in Cowher- despite our shared desire to see the Bills start to be on the winning side of games- is foolhardy at best.

We need a remade front office.

One question to ponder: if Cowher were to come to Buffalo, and since Cowher worked in Pittsburgh with both Modrak and Guy, does this mean that Modrak and Guy are now safe?

I don't think coaching is the sole reason our draft picks have sucked since 2001 (the year Modrak took over). Player development is more a reflection of the coaching staff. The actual draft picks are more indicative of the information provided by the scouting staff.

But if bringing in Cowher means keeping Modrak and Guy, I'd rather NOT have Cowher.

Some very good points!! I'd really like to see a major shakeup in the player personnel dept as well...Modrak & Guy needs to go and they need to break up this good ole boy network that exists...I would have (most bills fans would) done better in the past few drafts than the Bills did! Even if you just followed the draft junkies and Mel Kiper you would have hit and missed on some players. I researched (as I don't follow College football too heavily) the best I could many prospects, read all the draft mags I could find...and concluded that Bryan Orkapo DE would have been our best selection last year...I had a war room scenario set-up in my kitchen w/NFL Network on the computer and ESPN on two tv's...Charts, graphs, best player available the whole works...so when they passed on Orakpo I was furious! They also passed on Everette Brown DE in the 2nd, 3rd, and an excellent bargain in the 4th round! The year before I was envious of the W. Redskins draft as their were 3 players that were on my radar that they drafted (that we could have) including pro bowler Deshean Jackson WR...Each year seems to go that way...with these inept personnel people of our team. This organization always seems to play cutsie anymore and go against the grain of the general opinion of the other teams in the leaugue and stray away from the opinions of most draft experts. Aaron Maybin wasn't the right pick for the right position at the right time! doesn't mean he won't become a good player but he just doesn't fit our immediate needs and they wasted a pick. Corner, Byrd, Wood, and maybe Levitre seem like solid picks. Nelson is yet to be determined but shows some promise. Anyways, getting back to the boneheads that direct this team...they need to all go away before we should beg for a A-list coach to sign on with our Bills. I would trade Lynch in a heartbeat! (maybe not popular opinion)..keep F.Jackson at all cost, same with Byrd, Wood, Corner, Evans,Levitre, Moorman, Lyndell,Mclelvin, Mcgee... Bye Bye Edwards, Hamdan, Fitzpatrick, Kelsay, Schobel, Denny,T.O.! Just one guys opinion!

Stop trying to pin this calamity on Modrak , he was not in the inner circle until this year.....now other people in the scouting dept I have problem with but not Modrak.......he was masterful in devolping Philly talent especially when he was getting booed when he picked Mcnabb instead of Ricky Williams ......so he is not the problem .......When you choose the wrong person for head coach (Levy,Brandon,bean counter from Detroit)then after you choose him(Jauron) change the type of personnel (to lighter,smaller d-line & LB) then when that style isnt good against the run(been in bottom half since he took over) dont have forsight (to see that Peters was outpaying his contract and instead overpay a LG with the biggest contract in Bills history )and resign that same coach to a 12 mill extention why Brandon & Oberdorf hasnt been fired is beyond me. They set the team back at least 5 years

If that was the only reason Cowher wouldn't come to Buffalo then Cowher is seriously putting the kitty on the pedestal. If I am Bill Cowher and I wanted to come to Buffalo then I wouldn't let my wife not wanting to live in a colder climate be the reason I wouldn't go. Its one thing if my wife wanted to have me home more or my wife wanted me to spend more time with my children BUT she doesn't like the cold well that is just not going to fly.

It's more than just weather its quality of life in general. But thank you, I needed a good laugh this morning at work and you made me laugh out loud :rolleyes:

One thing is certain, Bill Cowher will not bring in Toms Got To Go (Donahoe), since they didint get along.. :rolleyes: WAHOO!!

Interesting point worth exploring more. Was it a personality thing, or football philosophy, or both?

TD and Cowher spent a number of years together in Pittsburgh. Then TD came to Buffalo and apparently completely forgot or abandoned the Steelers bread and butter philosophy of a bruising running attack behind a dominant O-line and stopping the run with stud linebackers in favor of gadget players like Roscoe Parrish.