Bills to trade for a QB?

Tortured Soul

He actually beat out Flacco during the 2008 preseason. The Ravens were prepared to start him but he came down with a rare case of tonsillitis and lost alot of time and weight. Flacco went on to have a really solid rookie season and the starting job was no longer a question.

Troy Smith is a RFA, I see no problem with him wanting to play somewhere else. The Bills need players with confidence and desire.

Well then, fate favored the Ravens with that case of tonsillitis. Best thing to happen to the Ravens at QB ever.

My point stands--no way Smith can beat Flacco at this point. That kid's solid.

Why trade for a backup QB who has 2 starts and less than 100 attempts? I just remember seeing him get destroyed in the biggest game of his life against Florida.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the hell would we take anyone on that list as our "qb of the future" All those guys are washouts, will be cut, or passed their prime. I wouldn't sign any of them as FA, let alone give anything up for any of them.

Vick - past his prime, character issues, wasn't very good in his prime.

Bulger - passed his prime, wasn't that good in his prime.

Smith - Got beat out by a rookie, who they drafted to replace him because he isn't that good. Requesting a trade is a joke when your a # 2 or # 3 QB and have never accomplished anything. Get over yourself.

Cambell - Can't get it done with a ton of money around him, has had 4 years to step up and earn the right to be a franchise QB with a bunch of opportunities in DC.....Don't want any part of him.

He actually beat out Flacco during the 2008 preseason. The Ravens were prepared to start him but he came down with a rare case of tonsillitis and lost alot of time and weight. Flacco went on to have a really solid rookie season and the starting job was no longer a question.

Troy Smith is a RFA, I see no problem with him wanting to play somewhere else. The Bills need players with confidence and desire.

He didn't beat Flacco out, some of the veterans who think they are the coaches "advised" the head coach that they wanted Smith to be the starter. The coaching staff went with Flacco and they drafted Flacco in the 1st round because they knew Smith was crappy.

Honestly I'd rather stick with Edwards or resign Losman than go with any of those guys on that list...and I really do not want to stay with Edwards or resign Losman.

I'd much rather see how Brohm develops if those are our only choices.

Vick will not be dealt, cause no one is going to want him for the 6 mil that the Eagles will have to pay for his rights next season. They would have to accept the 6 mil option on him to try and trade him, and the Eagles haven't "showcased" him well enough that teams would be willing to trade for him and take on the salary.

Of those choices, Troy Smith has the best upside and could be a good pickup option to compete with Brohm. Campbell may need a change of scenery but it a big risk to be a bust, and it would all depend on what Derek Anderson you get in the deal. Anderson of 2 years ago, not a bad deal, the last 2 seasons, not worth it. As for Bulger, hes a veteran, but he has also taken a beating over the last couple years.

He didn't beat Flacco out, some of the veterans who think they are the coaches "advised" the head coach that they wanted Smith to be the starter. The coaching staff went with Flacco and they drafted Flacco in the 1st round because they knew Smith was crappy.

Honestly I'd rather stick with Edwards or resign Losman than go with any of those guys on that list...and I really do not want to stay with Edwards or resign Losman.

I'd much rather see how Brohm develops if those are our only choices.

Incorrect. Troy Smith was likely to start 2008. The Ravens drafted Joe Flacco because they had Boller and an unknown fifth round rookie at QB. The next season that fifth round rookie had played well enough to start and had won the approval of his teammates. The only reason he didn't start was illness. Troy Smith hasn't had much of an opportunity but that is not the same as crappy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...-trade-request/

Well then, fate favored the Ravens with that case of tonsillitis. Best thing to happen to the Ravens at QB ever.

My point stands--no way Smith can beat Flacco at this point. That kid's solid.

Why trade for a backup QB who has 2 starts and less than 100 attempts? I just remember seeing him get destroyed in the biggest game of his life against Florida.

I agree that Joe Flacco is solid. This doesn't mean Troy Smith can't play the game though. You can't blame the Florida loss on the kid either, it was men v.s. boys.

More interesting on the silly espn insider club page is:

There is currently chatter that Denver will part ways with Kyle Orton and start over.

As mentioned by one other bight soul in this thread- Orton would be the guy to pursue. Perhaps a trade wouldn't even be required? All the dude does is win. He is not from CA (Iowa), played collegiately at Perdue, and, as we all know as devout fans of American football, Chicago & Denver professionally.

For useless atmospheric trivia: Iowa = cold, West Lafayette, Indiana = cold, Chicago = cold, and Denver = cold. According to Wikipedia, Orton was ranked the no. 2 QB in the country coming out of high school. This guy has seen snow and frozen breath vapor before... and he's only 27. Reminds me a little of Rich Gannon- kicking around the league (and being under-appreciated) before founding a home with Al Davis.

We could pretend Orton is JP, only winning games...

Career Stats

G GS W-L Cmp. Att. Cmp.% Yards Avg. TD Int. Long Sacked SackYards Lost QB Rating

46 45 29-16 763 1,323 57.7% 8,223 6.2 46 35 87 80 479 76.6

Troy Smith (4th round pick) or Kevin Kolb(2nd round pick)or Bulger as a FA signing

I would Keep Trent and Brohm and cut Fitz

This is pretty close to what I'd like.

1. Brohm

2. Another young QB in the league, that has upside Troy Smith, Matt Moore, Kevin Kolb, Tavaris Jackson, Jason Campbell (all under 27 years old and have the possibility of getting better)

3. Rookie QB

4. Trent or Fitz (whomever the new coaching staff feels could run their system)

A real competition in training camp would dictate the starter and backups. No one gets handed a thing.

1. Brohm

2. Another young QB in the league, that has upside Troy Smith, Matt Moore, Kevin Kolb, Tavaris Jackson, Jason Campbell (all under 27 years old and have the possibility of getting better)

3. Rookie QB

A real competition in training camp would dictate the starter and backups. No one gets handed a thing.

You left out Hamdan :rolleyes:

1. Brohm

3. Rookie QB

Matt Moore isn't leaving Carolina, Delhomme will be, and Jackson will more then likely be back behind centre for the Vikings next season when Favre retires for the millionth time

More interesting on the silly espn insider club page is:

There is currently chatter that Denver will part ways with Kyle Orton and start over.

As mentioned by one other bight soul in this thread- Orton would be the guy to pursue. Perhaps a trade wouldn't even be required? All the dude does is win. He is not from CA (Iowa), played collegiately at Perdue, and, as we all know as devout fans of American football, Chicago & Denver professionally.

For useless atmospheric trivia: Iowa = cold, West Lafayette, Indiana = cold, Chicago = cold, and Denver = cold. According to Wikipedia, Orton was ranked the no. 2 QB in the country coming out of high school. This guy has seen snow and frozen breath vapor before... and he's only 27. Reminds me a little of Rich Gannon- kicking around the league (and being under-appreciated) before founding a home with Al Davis.

We could pretend Orton is JP, only winning games...

Career Stats

G GS W-L Cmp. Att. Cmp.% Yards Avg. TD Int. Long Sacked SackYards Lost QB Rating

46 45 29-16 763 1,323 57.7% 8,223 6.2 46 35 87 80 479 76.6

Orton? PASS

He couldn't make it in Chicago so they ran out and dealt Denver alot to get Cutler, now after 1 season, Denver is giving up on him? That should be a huge sign to all that he is not what the Bills need right now.

Atleast Troy Smith has potential and the reason he isn't starting right now is because the Ravens just found someone who was even better.

Matt Moore isn't leaving Carolina, Delhomme will be, and Jackson will more then likely be back behind centre for the Vikings next season when Favre retires for the millionth time

I agree but who knows. It's not like Matt Moore and Tavaris Jackson are Steve Young and Warren Moon.