Bills Draft Pick

LABills08

Pretty unfortunate. It is pretty clear the Bills are one of the top 5 worst teams in the league. I'm not one to root against them (history has proven that bad teams who end the season on a high note generally start the next season well), but as matter of fact, the Bills should not be drafting anywhere higher than 7 in my opinion. But, I have a feeling that w/ the Colts resting up on Sunday and the Bills being the Bills, they will end up drafting towards the back end of the 7-10 range.

Link

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty unfortunate. It is pretty clear the Bills are one of the top 5 worst teams in the league. I'm not one to root against them (history has proven that bad teams who end the season on a high note generally start the next season well), but as matter of fact, the Bills should not be drafting anywhere higher than 7 in my opinion. But, I have a feeling that w/ the Colts resting up on Sunday and the Bills being the Bills, they will end up drafting towards the back end of the 7-10 range.

Link

Bills currently drafting at #8 spot...

http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.html

Understood regarding McClain. And I would like the Bills to begin drafting some top linebackers.

My biggest concern is that the Bills have proven to be awful at drafting in this range. Its a difficult spot to draft in, mainly because the teams are usually pretty bad (and deserving of a top 5 pick if not for schedule issues) and there are no longer any "can't miss talents" on the board. In other words, there are a lot of good players, but it generally depends on talent evaluators to sift through the hype and find the impact players. It need not be said that the Bills have terrible talent evaluators. Lets be honest, the Bills haven't drafted well with the number 8 pick.

I also worry that the Bills will be compelled to find a LT in round 1. Much in the same way they were dead set on a DE in round 1 last year. ( I admit that I am guilty of being all for Maybin pick over Oher at the time...clearly wrong decision). If the LT they want is on the board, I'm okay with them pulling the trigger, but this is a VERY weak LT class and reaching would be a terrible move. As long as they don't draft a DB, I'm happy with BPA at 8.

Bills currently drafting at #8 spot...

http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.html

Looking at the SOS, it's funny how much the Dolphins-Steelers game means in terms of us catching the Browns.

An extrapolation of what the SOS numbers mean:

Raiders opponents are 125-117.

Bills opponents are 124-116.

Browns opponents are 121-119.

Redskins opponents are 120-120.

Looking at the SOS, it's funny how much the Dolphins-Steelers game means in terms of us catching the Browns.

An extrapolation of what the SOS numbers mean:

Raiders opponents are 125-117.

Bills opponents are 124-116.

Browns opponents are 121-119.

Redskins opponents are 120-120.

Browns won't beat the Jags. We'll be drafting 9th. Remember we play the 14-1 Colts this week, so our SOS will obviously pass the Raiders, since we were only 'ahead' of them by one game in the SOS race. If we beat the Colts backups we'll be picking 10th.

Jeez, a 5-11 season only nets us the 9th pick, a TON of bad teams this year. Normally this should be a top 5 pick.

Browns won't beat the Jags. We'll be drafting 9th. Remember we play the 14-1 Colts this week, so our SOS will obviously pass the Raiders, since we were only 'ahead' of them by one game in the SOS race. If we beat the Colts backups we'll be picking 10th.

Jeez, a 5-11 season only nets us the 9th pick, a TON of bad teams this year. Normally this should be a top 5 pick.

Those numbers already factor in Week 16 opponents.

Browns are 1.5 point favorites and have won three in a row. Game's in Cleveland, and I don't see a team from Florida that motivated to play in the cold.

My biggest concern is that the Bills have proven to be awful at drafting in this range. Its a difficult spot to draft in, mainly because the teams are usually pretty bad (and deserving of a top 5 pick if not for schedule issues) and there are no longer any "can't miss talents" on the board.

Fear not, Russ Brandon is looking for a coach. This team does not need a GM, as evidenced by the past four seasons. Ralph, Littman, and Overdorf are handling that role.

If half of the two four-win teams win and half of the four five-win teams win (very possibly including the Bills, unfortunately), there'll be three five-win teams drafting 6th, 7th and 8th.

Last year, there were two five-win teams, and they drafted 7th and 8th. In 2007, it was exactly the same, there were two and they drafted 7th and 8th. In 2006, there were two and they drafted 5th and 6th.

This year's pretty close. I'm too depressed to look further back than 2006.

I think that the gbn website with those opponents' winning %tages is terrific.

This is who we should be rooting for if you want the Bills to get the highest pick possible (assuming Bills, Oakland & Seahawks all finish 5-11 and we'd be able to have a higher pick than Oakland...even better would be if we can jump Cleveland, but I don't think that they will beat Jax):

1. Indianapolis (obviously, I'll take a lot of heat from folks for rooting against the Bills, but from a pure draft order perspective, unfortunately it's true)

2. Pittsburgh (big time, b/c they played Oakland, and we played Miami 2x)

3. Cincinnati (big time, b/c they played Oakland, and we played Jets 2x)

4. Houston (both Oakland and Bills played them, and we played NE 2x)

5. San Diego (they played Oakland 2x, although Washington played Oakland 1x)

6. Giants (they played Oakland 1x)

7. Cleveland (both Oakland and Bills played them, and we played Jax 1x)

8. Seattle and Oakland, obviously (however, either/both unlikely to win...and if Seattle wins, it makes our opponents winning %tage lower since we played Tenn)

9. Chicago (in case the Bills win)

That's my 2 cents, not taking our front office's incompetence into account. Again, the listing above is for draft order purposes only.

Go Bills...in Fall 2010!!

It gives us a shot at McClain. IMO ILB is just as much a need as any add on top of that if we go OT or QB in that range we are getting eiter the second or third best at those positions. McClain gives us the best at his. He could be a Patrick Willis type LB of the future for us.

NO FREAKING WAY! We better take either the best LT or QB on the board...period! Now we do need quality LB's but we can get a good one in rounds 3-6. We need to address our lines and QB first. McClain is great but not this year with our line and quarterback needs.

It gives us a shot at McClain. IMO ILB is just as much a need as any add on top of that if we go OT or QB in that range we are getting eiter the second or third best at those positions. McClain gives us the best at his. He could be a Patrick Willis type LB of the future for us.

What if the 3rd OT is better than the best LB in the draft? Not saying this is the case, but you don't draft a guy just because he grades the best at a position.

Disclaimer: I'm not advocating drafting a certain position or specific player.

NO FREAKING WAY! We better take either the best LT or QB on the board...period! Now we do need quality LB's but we can get a good one in rounds 3-6. We need to address our lines and QB first. McClain is great but not this year with our line and quarterback needs.

Don't you get LB's like Keith Ellison in the 6th rd. I would be thrilled with McClain. You can't reach for a guy like Trent Williams just because you need a tackle. McClain will be a star and lead the D for years to come. Pick tackles in the 2nd and 3rd round and hope for the best.

Don't you get LB's like Keith Ellison in the 6th rd. I would be thrilled with McClain. You can't reach for a guy like Trent Williams just because you need a tackle. McClain will be a star and lead the D for years to come. Pick tackles in the 2nd and 3rd round and hope for the best.

I agree, and McClain is as solid as they come out of college.

Pick tackles in rounds 2-3 AND HOPE FOR THE BEST! No thanks. Sounds like you've been working at OBD for the past 10 years. I say we get the best LT we can or QB with our first pick.

I'd rather we take the best player in the draft not named Suh then the third best OT or 2nd best QB, that's just me though. McClain has the potential to be the next Willis or Beason or in best case scenario Ray Lewis. I agree we need an OT just as importantly, however I think the talent dropoff after Okung is somewhat severe once again JMO. We could pick up Fox out of the U in the second and get Tony Pike in the third. I'd be very happy with that draft.

Fear not, Russ Brandon is looking for a coach. This team does not need a GM, as evidenced by the past four seasons. Ralph, Littman, and Overdorf are handling that role.

He is probably looking for the GM or "football person" as well, which is better than having Ralph do it. It is either going to be Ralph or Brandon. I will go with the guy who has some mental acuity remaining. Not too mention, Brandon did not hire the previous coach or any of the football staff for that matter. He is your best bet, probably should get used to it.

What if the 3rd OT is better than the best LB in the draft? Not saying this is the case, but you don't draft a guy just because he grades the best at a position.

Disclaimer: I'm not advocating drafting a certain position or specific player.

If the 3rd OT is the best player on the board, you take him. That is what best player available means haha. It has nothing to do with position. I'm just of the belief that DB's need to be excluded from this strategy because we don't need one.

McClain should be the pick, hands down, if he's on the board. At 6'4" and almost 260lbs can run with any TE in the league, sheds blocks easily, and punishes ball carriers . You people hell bent on taking only an OT or a QB in Round 1 would have us back in the same position next year. We missed out Willis a couple of years ago by one pick and I hope that doesn't happen again here with McClain.