Troy Smith demands trade

Tortured Soul

My son is a huge Ravens fan so I keep close watch. At the beginning of last season he was actually beating out Joe Flacco for he starting job. He looked like the better qb. Speculation was beginning what to do with him since Flacco was drafted in the first round. He suffered an injury an Flacco won the job by default and hasn't looked back. I would have no problem bringing him in bacause he is better than anyone we have. However he wouldn't be annointed a starter unless he proved it. I wouldn't mind seeing Kevin Kolb as well. These are the two qb's I would target in the off season as well as drafting one.

+1 I think he also got very sick last season and lost some time during the pre-season.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 I think he also got very sick last season and lost some time during the pre-season.

According to the PFT post:

Smith has shown promise when given the chance to play and was likely to open the 2008 as the Ravens starter over Joe Flacco if not for being sidelined by a rare form of tonsillitis.

My son is a huge Ravens fan so I keep close watch. At the beginning of last season he was actually beating out Joe Flacco for the starting job. He looked like the better qb. Speculation was beginning what to do with him since Flacco was drafted in the first round. He suffered an injury and Flacco won the job by default and hasn't looked back. I would have no problem bringing him in bacause he is better than anyone we have. With a pre season under his belt he would actually be pretty good. However he wouldn't be annointed a starter unless he proved it. I wouldn't mind seeing Kevin Kolb as well. These are the two qb's I would target in the off season as well as drafting one.

Would love to see Kevin Kolb - but we won't. Eagles are sitting pretty at the QB position with DM and KK backing him up. He's under contract next year and I would be amazed if Eagles would entertain any trade offers for him from the Bills.

According to the PFT post:

Smith has shown promise when given the chance to play and was likely to open the 2008 as the Ravens starter over Joe Flacco if not for being sidelined by a rare form of tonsillitis.

Thanks TS. The Ravens were high on this kid. I read an article about how the Ravens veteran players were demanding that this kid start during his rookie season. They praised his leadership and ability. Obviously Flacco isn't going anywhere and this kid wants to start. Brohm and Smith fit the mold of the type of player this team needs to go after.

I'll take hungry talented youth over a broken down journeyman.

Yes, in his rookie season he could not beat out Kyle Boller. Oh the horror! In his second season he was seriously sick with some kind of rare illness and Flacco took over during his absence. Flacco has started ever since and Smith has been 2nd string.

Love the funny response Kyle Boller does suck big time.... It was Steve McNair that beat Smith out not Boller.

Boller was actually the 3rd string behind Smith.

You'd be better off getting Vick. He's had as much playing time as Troy Smith the past few years.

Nah. I like Vick's abilities as a temporary solution, especially given our protection issues, but the circus would be considerable. I'm not sure the risk is worth the reward with Vick. The guy has a career quarterback rating in the 70s and relied mostly on his wheels. Watching him play sparringly this season, really makes you wonder about that speed.

Troy Smith is almost five years younger and comes with no baggage.

My son is a huge Ravens fan so I keep close watch. At the beginning of last season he was actually beating out Joe Flacco for the starting job. He looked like the better qb. Speculation was beginning what to do with him since Flacco was drafted in the first round. He suffered an injury and Flacco won the job by default and hasn't looked back. I would have no problem bringing him in bacause he is better than anyone we have. With a pre season under his belt he would actually be pretty good. However he wouldn't be annointed a starter unless he proved it. I wouldn't mind seeing Kevin Kolb as well. These are the two qb's I would target in the off season as well as drafting one.

You didnt' kick him out of the house once he came out of the closet and confessed?

I believe that Smith was given some time when Boller was injured and he played well. He was going to be the starter in 2008 but came down with tonsilitis (or something like that) and lost a lot of weight. Before he got sick, Ray Lewis and the other starters all supported him going into the season as the starter. Flacco ended up the starter and the rest is history. I watched Smith a lot in college and always said that he would be, at minimum, a competent back-up. I think that he is not the long-term solution at QB but would certainly be a good stop-gap for the next 1-2 years while the Bills starighten out their offensive line. I liken him to a younger version of Doug Flutie.

I loved Smiths game in college. I think he would have a chance in the NFL,but would be best in a west coast (or similar) system,imo. He has a decent arm and can move around really well,but he's not a stereotypical NFL,drop back passer. I think he'd be worth a look,but a 3rd is too high a price.

Right. It could be our next Chris Ellis. Or Trent Edwards. Or Ashton Youboty. Or (Dare I? Dare I?) Tim Anderson.

I think half the board believes you can find them in Aisle 12 at Walmart.

Aren't they right accross from the top notch proven Head Coaches, and a couple aisles down from the guaranteed "non-bust" draft picks? I know they aren't near the register with the "football genius" GM's...................

I loved Smiths game in college. I think he would have a chance in the NFL,but would be best in a west coast (or similar) system,imo. He has a decent arm and can move around really well,but he's not a stereotypical NFL,drop back passer. I think he'd be worth a look,but a 3rd is too high a price.

A 3rd would be too high, IMO. I don't think there'd be a huge market for Smith. I'd throw a fifth at the Ravens. It is a high 5th round pick after all.

Nah. I like Vick's abilities as a temporary solution, especially given our protection issues, but the circus would be considerable. I'm not sure the risk is worth the reward with Vick. The guy has a career quarterback rating in the 70s and relied mostly on his wheels. Watching him play sparringly this season, really makes you wonder about that speed.

Troy Smith is almost five years younger and comes with no baggage.

Not interested in Vick...just saying similar style QBs and yeah certainly Troy Smith has no baggage. As a backup or 3rd string, that's fine. Franchise needs to aim higher with its starting personnel.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...-trade-request/

I know some on the board expressed interest in him in other threads.

Some thoughts:

He probably wouldn't cost more than a 3rd, as opposed to other promising young back-ups, such as Dennis Dixon or Kevin Kolb, since Baltimore already has a viable #2 QB on their roster and has publicly made himself available.

I haven't seen any of his games myself, but people have been impressed with his play.

Drew Brees has quieted a lot of concern about QBs that are only 6'.

Thoughts?

I would rather go after Kolb and be willing to give up a 2nd round pick. Smith and Dixon would be very good FA targets but IMO I wouldn't give up a good draft choice for either of them. May as well draft your own QB prospect in the third round.