A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

So, not too much that you learned from this game. I guess we knew what this team is.

I would just say that only sign Incognito as a back-up. I would keep the Levitre-Hangaartner-Wood core as is. Buffalo News reported today Wood is expected to be fine (Gaughan piece).

Know what's funny? For several years, our strength at O-line was at the T positions with the weakness being on the inside...now it's exactly the opposite

1) Fred Jackson would be a star running back on a team with blocking.

He's been the best player on the team all year. He did get the ball stripped once today, but I stand by my original comment

2) Tasker said that Incog wants to be here. I'm not saying he is great; I'm not even sure how good he is but he is self proclaimed, "blue collar" and I would keep him. There, I said it.

He hasn't given me a reason to complain since we've got him. He goes out and does his job. Lets keep him.

3) OMG do we need linebackers!!!!!!

Very, very badly

4) It's official. Andy Levitre is our best blocker. He was a GREAT selection. I openly admit that I would have been fine with him at #28. Right R.Rich? :worthy:

One of the few pleasures this season has been watching Wood and Levitre develop.

5) I think that everybody respects Poz except posters on this board. PS: The kid can play.

As a fan it's only natural to look at the faults and what can be improved. Yeah I guess we're overly critical. He had a solid game today. I'd still like to see him shed those big O-Lineman more consistently.

6) From today on, anybody who blasts Schobel should do so knowing that you are a fool, who knows s--t about football.

Schobel had a very good game today. He had that LT's number.

7) I like Fewell; I feel sorry for Fewell but he needs to go. The team simply needs a Jauron exorcism. Me and Bills Vet will act as Father Karras and Father Marin if need be.

It IS nice to see a guy genuinely enthusiastic coaching the team and he does deserve a true shot (not inheriting a team with double digit players on IR)... just not with the Bills

8) Congrats to TO for reaching a very impressive milestone.

He has had an extremely productive career. I wonder what those numbers would be if he'd actually put forth an effort each play he's on the field.

9) More on Schobel.....10 sacks? This on a team that ranks # 32 against the run. He is a hell of a player and yes, he is worth every cent of his salary.

I'm not ready for him to retire, and I hope this game convinced him of the same.

10) Marshawn whiffed on a crucial 3rd down block and dropped yet another pass in the 2nd quarter. Let the exorcism continue. Not that we could get one for him, but I would jump all over a 3rd round pick. Or even a 4th.

He definitely hasn't found a groove being a #2 back. It's a real shame. I enjoyed watching him drag people all over the field.

11) Brohm? He looked OK. He reminds me of a pre-getting his ba!!s kicked in Trent.

He took his share of hits today but didn't seem to let it get to him. He kept coming out throwing. I hope he starts again next week just to see if he continues to develop.

12) Happy Holidays and God bless all.

13. GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LT's have to be physically a certain size to take on the top RDE's in the NFL and 6'2" O lineman with short arms do not play the position. It's why teams pay so much attention at the combine to something which seems inane like arm length.

I think anyone with a pulse that follows this team knows you can't just plug anyone into the position and get even average results. And typically, NFL teams do not find them below the 2nd round in the draft, so finding them on the cheap a la Peters is not a route to count on.

What route can you count on? The high 1st round OT's this year have done squat. Take a look around the league and see how many starting LT's were selected in round 2 (Levitre's round) or lower.

As for Levitre's height and arms, I've heard the arguments. But when he actually played at LT, he didn't get overwhelmed. I just don't see another solution, not without taking a major chance in the draft, and certainly not in FA.

No.

Resign the good players, then draft to fill weaknesses. It's very simple. This concept of trading good players for draft picks leads to what you see on the field. If anything, the Bills should be looking to extend Shoebel's career by transitioning him to a situational player or possibly a LE on passing downs where he can face weaker RTs. Of course, this pre-supposes finding his eventual replacement at RE...

I disagree with the above. A rebuilding team is supposed to trade away aging players for draft picks, assuming a willing trade partner is available. Consider Aaron Schobel. Let's say that he ends his career by doing the following:

2010: creates 2 additional wins.

2011: creates 2 additional wins.

2012: creates 1 additional win.

2013: retires.

The 2010 Bills aren't going to do anything overly impressive. So from our perspective, the two wins of 2010 would be the difference between 5-11 and 7-9. So that value is wasted. Worse than wasted, in fact, because the 7-9 record hurts us in the draft. Suppose we trade him for a third round draft pick, who proceeds to do the following:

2010: creates 0 additional wins.

2011: creates 1 additional win.

2012: creates 1 additional win.

. . .

2020: creates 1 additional win.

2021: retires.

Unless 2011 is the one "big" year for this franchise over the coming decade, that third round pick will do more to push the Bills toward a Super Bowl win than Aaron Schobel would have. (Assuming the third round pick works out reasonably well, of course.) More generally, a rebuilding franchise should seek out long-term value (additional draft picks) rather than short-term value (holding onto aging veterans at the expense of potential draft picks). The short-term picture for that rebuilding franchise isn't going to look Super, either with or without those aging veterans. So you may as well build to maximize the long-term.

No.

Resign the good players, then draft to fill weaknesses. It's very simple. This concept of trading good players for draft picks leads to what you see on the field. If anything, the Bills should be looking to extend Shoebel's career by transitioning him to a situational player or possibly a LE on passing downs where he can face weaker RTs. Of course, this pre-supposes finding his eventual replacement at RE...

exactly. "rebuilding" teams make mistakes if they clean out their best players to "stock pile" draft picks. they end up with nothing to build around ... KC is an example of that after parting ways with Allen, Gonzalez etc. Reality is Bills CAN be a playoff team next year with a new GM and HC, return of injured starters and a better offensive scheme. consider 2 years ago both Miami and Atlanta were in worse shape than Bills are now and yet with new leadership and new offenses they both became playoff teams the next year. and they didnt do it by cleaning out all their good players.

exactly. "rebuilding" teams make mistakes if they clean out their best players to "stock pile" draft picks. they end up with nothing to build around ... KC is an example of that after parting ways with Allen, Gonzalez etc. Reality is Bills CAN be a playoff team next year with a new GM and HC, return of injured starters and a better offensive scheme. consider 2 years ago both Miami and Atlanta were in worse shape than Bills are now and yet with new leadership and new offenses they both became playoff teams the next year. and they didnt do it by cleaning out all their good players.

Good point. Thee is no guarantee that picks will produce good players. With Levy/Jauron, the opposite was almost true.