Governments REact After Terror Attempt on US Plane

Nanker

Plus less weight means less fuel. Less fuel has a double benefit: less carbon emissions and lower fuel costs. Lower fuel costs mean lower ticket prices

The only problems here are:

Less carbon emissions = Less government revenue from a reduced need to buy carbon credits

Lower fuel costs = Less government revenue from petroleum taxes

Lower ticket prices = Less government revenue from taxes and fees

That's what surtaxes are made for. Unintended lowering of expected tax revenues must be made up from higher taxes and user fees on more efficient processes by a government that's cash-starved. They can pass a law mandating the purchase of a minimum number of carbon credits by every man, woman, child, company and dog. They can tax the oil companies for the oil that's still in the ground that they aren't planning on pumping (stagnant property tax). They could mandate that everyone take a sedative prior to boarding the flight - so they'd get revenue for selling the pills from the government's formulary and they can name their own price for that - and tax the hell out of it to boot.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can pass a law mandating the purchase of a minimum number of carbon credits by every man, woman, child, company and dog.

****, they're probably going to do that anyway for flights. Want to fly, have buy carbon credits to offset the emissions - probably on some hokey, half-assed calculation like the theoretical emissions of the plane's full tanks of fuel, prorated over 75% of the plane's capacity, plus a flat carbon fee per checked bag.

And if you're rich, you pay double. Because you're rich.

****, they're probably going to do that anyway for flights. Want to fly, have buy carbon credits to offset the emissions - probably on some hokey, half-assed calculation like the theoretical emissions of the plane's full tanks of fuel, prorated over 75% of the plane's capacity, plus a flat carbon fee per checked bag.

And if you're rich, you pay double. Because you're rich.

Yes, the rich can afford it. They're rich after all.

I realize the thread has long since stopped discussing the attempted 'human-initiated incident', but I'll add a footnote.

We flew to LAX from JFK without incident on Saturday. My brother in law's family flew here from London on a Virgin Atlantic flight with no entertainment system, and they told passengers it was because of the NWA flight. So that's either the most bizarre overrecation or the worse excuse for a lie I've ever heard.

I realize the thread has long since stopped discussing the attempted 'human-initiated incident', but I'll add a footnote.

We flew to LAX from JFK without incident on Saturday. My brother in law's family flew here from London on a Virgin Atlantic flight with no entertainment system, and they told passengers it was because of the NWA flight. So that's either the most bizarre overrecation or the worse excuse for a lie I've ever heard.

You could have leant him some of the Patsie* tapes to watch. :censored:

Virgin disabled it's entertainment system? Noooooooooooooooo. :censored:

That would be profiling

Profiling is ok- after all, Isreal does it and they are a lot safer than us. But they do not profile based on ethnicity or religion- which we tend to do more. We should learn from them instead of having our former presidents insult them