Is O-line fixed and ready for next year already?

Chuckknox

Butler at RT, Incognito at RG, Wood at C, Simmons at LG, Levitre at LT may not be a bad line. Three of them Butler, Cogs, and Simmons have 5+ years experience each which is a lot better than what started this year. Butler, Cogs and Wood all have attitude.

Hangman, Scott, Meredith, and Bell are okay backups and god knows we need a lot of back-ups on the oline.

Sign a good free agent run stopping DT to replace McCargo

Sign Mike Vick.

Rd 1 McClain LB Alabama

Rd 2 Danario Alexander WR, Missouri to replace TO.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been calling for Wood to go back to C since we drafted him. I think O-Linemen (and some other positions) should stay where they have ALWAYS played, especially during their college years.

With that being said...I DO think we have a decent core group of guys to build off of.

Eric Wood - While injured, is still our best offensive lineman. IF he comes back at least 90%, he will still be dominant for years. Like I have always said, our best option is him at center. Remember Kent Hull?

Andy Levitre - He has surprised me, as I was a big critic of drafting him (and Byrd :lol: ). I think he could end up being a very good guard for many years, right next to Wood. Let them develop together. Remember Jim Richter?

Richie Incognito - I love his attitude, but he has to draw the line and refrain from penalties. He was a pretty decent draft pick and has the skillset to start. I think he would round out this interior perfectly. Remember Mitch Frerotte? NASTY!

Brad Butler - I have never been too high on Butler, but I love his nastiness too. He could probably work at RT, but I would rather the team go young with Bell or Meredith, or draft a new guy. Butler would make great competition to Incognito.

Jamon Meredith/Demetrius Bell - I put these 2 together because I think they are pretty much the same player. However, I do feel that Meredith has more potential, but only because he was projected as a 2nd-3rd rounder. I like Bell's size and athleticism, but he draws WAY too many penalties. I think they both make GREAT projects and could be excellent utility guys at many positions. You can NEVER have TOO MANY quality linemen.

(Would'nt be upset to see these guys go, but they are worth keeping around as backups):

Kendall Simmons - Simmons was a former 1st rounder and was a quality started on the Steelers great line for several years. He has not looked that good, may be rusty, but I think he would be a great backup for us at guard.

Geoff Hangartner - He could really help Wood along, but I dont like him as a starter. Would be a great backup.

Jonathan Scott - He was thrown into the fire, but he is a veteran. Has showed that he could be a decent backup.

*Like I said, you can never have too many good linemen. These guys have gotten valuable experience this year, and at times have shown their worth. I think with some added pieces, this group becomes a good one. I think we need a dominant LT (I do miss Peters, and I will never forgive the Bills for not taking Oher)...and I wouldn't mind a RT to challenge Butler/Meredith/Bell.

Not bad if they are healthy. That was a fast move by the Bills front office to address a need. VERY impressive, so they do work in the front office. I wonder who pulled the trigger on these moves. They look like very good moves.

OK, your post is serious and reasonable, but your headline...

As noted by another poster, we have no tackles.

I too like the Incognito move and maybe the Simmons move too, though it is too early to tell on that one. But this doesn't even begin to address our biggest OL need, LT.

Russ Brandon was acting GM and also took part in the demise of the team this year. I would hardly think it should be fair for Ralph to clean house and not kick Brandon to the curb along with everyone else.

Explain to me, please, what exactly R.B. did this year that "took part in the demise of the team this year".

I'll be waiting....

Good point, we look great at OT! We can count on Butler to be healthy and rely strongly on him, and his experience at RT. Bell is on the cusp of being a superstar, if he's not already there. He is huge, strong, smart and disciplined. He wll probably play at the level of Orlando Pace in his prime, if not much better.

Your points are solid and I advocate looking elsewhere in April. I hear that there are good safties and Tenn and USC. We shoud take very close looks at them.

Is this the same Bell that was jumping up and down during a play when he got a boo boo on his finger? This team needs a Left Tackle...

Explain to me, please, what exactly R.B. did this year that "took part in the demise of the team this year".

I'll be waiting....

I don't want to speak for dog, but I'll wager he'll respond with a few of these:

Kept Dickhead Juron as HC

Shipped JP and JP out of town

****-canned the OC during the Home Opener pre-game warmup

"Addressed" the OL problems like this - "Hello, O Line! My, you're looking mighty fine to me!"

Drafted Error Maybe with our #1 pick in the Draft.

Other than that, I think the FO's been running like a Swiss watch - yes, a finely tuned machine, and they put a juggernaut on the field for all the world to see. It's been a pleasure to behold. Wouldn't you agree?

Bringing in Simmons and Incognito should help shore up our interior offensive line. I feel good with Wood, Incognito and Simmons. Levitre and Hangartner as reserves. I also like Butler.

It's at the tackle positions that we need help. Bell may very well project into a Pro-Bowl player one day- he reminds me of Peters in his athleticism- but that day is not now. He is still a bit raw and needs a good 1 to 2 seasons training, practicing, and being coached up to eventually take over the position.

Same thing with Meredith. He looks like an excellent development, and I do applaud the Bills for landing him.

I feel that we need to draft a Tackle with our #1 pick this year, and then sign a free agent tackle for the opposite side in free agency. Chambers should never see the field of OBD after this season, and I'm not too impressed with Scott.

I sincerely hope that Incognito pays off, and that we hang on to him for years to come. Wood was already playing with the fire I like to see in an offensive lineman. Now Incognito. Butler had somewhat of a mean streak, too. I like the new attitude.

Besides, we need more people to punch Wilfork in the gut for all of HIS cheap shots over the years...

Not bad if they are healthy. That was a fast move by the Bills front office to address a need. VERY impressive, so they do work in the front office. I wonder who pulled the trigger on these moves. They look like very good moves.

Well, now that we are all set, we can go back to taking a DB in the first round. Same old, same old.

I'll be waiting....

I think he just kept the status quo going.

Meet the new boss, just the same as the old boss.

:lol:

Brad Butler - I have never been too high on Butler, but I love his nastiness too. He could probably work at RT, but I would rather the team go young with Bell or Meredith, or draft a new guy. Butler would make great competition to Incognito.

Jonathan Scott - He was thrown into the fire, but he is a veteran. Has showed that he could be a decent backup.

Last time I looked Brad Butler was only 26. This was his third year with the team. Bell is 25 and Meredith is 23. Not a big difference.

As for Scott, he plain sucks. The guy couldn't make Detroit's roster.

I'll give you that we should have a number of very capable interior linemen, but tackle, especially left tackle, remains a huge question mark.

Agreed...if we re-sign Simmons in the offseason (we should) and Wood can recover from that horrific knee injury, we are absolutely set along the interior of our O-Line. Our first rounder should be spent at tackle however as signing a stud LT will likely be the only move we could make during free agency and this team has far too many holes to only make one splash in FA.

Draft the best tackle available in the first, heck maybe even spend our 2nd on another strong OT as well depending on who is on the board. Our linebacker and DT improvements should come via free agency.

Draft the best tackle available in the first, heck maybe even spend our 2nd on another strong OT as well depending on who is on the board. Our linebacker and DT improvements should come via free agency.

yeah, its left tackle in the first for me unless one of the stud QBs is still on the board. I don't think that's likely though.

We have to ask ourselves, can we handle having an o line that is in the top few in the league ? If so, sign Rich "Conrad Dobler" Incognito now - sign the best affordable fa - and draft another in the 1st or 2nd round. We'll start to have something then - start to.

1 down - 3 to go

Good point, we look great at OT! We can count on Butler to be healthy and rely strongly on him, and his experience at RT. Bell is on the cusp of being a superstar, if he's not already there. He is huge, strong, smart and disciplined. He wll probably play at the level of Orlando Pace in his prime, if not much better.

Your points are solid and I advocate looking elsewhere in April. I hear that there are good safties and Tenn and USC. We shoud take very close looks at them.

:lol:

Come on Bill...At least you can use a :unsure:

Injuries and inexperience give this years O-Line an incomplete Grade at best...There is still PLENTY of work to be done, especially at OT...But if The Bills can land a couple more Players like Woody and Levitre at OT, they will be much closer to a Passing Grade...At least I guess they will... :lol:

Can Incognito play LT? Because this team doesn't have one of those.

They still need 2 OT's, what with Butler being hurt each year he's been in the NFL.

Exactly - until these issues are addressed you can hardly proclaim our line is fixed - Incognito also has to be signed to a new deal if the Bills intend to keep him.

Bell protects the blindside better than Anthony Munoz and is much stronger than Jonathan Ogden. He moves better than Walter Jones, and is a more complete LT than a pre-injury Tony Bosselli. Soon, (if not already), he will pancake more defenders than Pace.

Can you feel how serious I am?

Bill Some folks just dont understand your humor

So this year we have one of, if not the, worst OL in the NFL and we signed two players off the waiver wires that weren't wanted, one couldn't even keep a job on the worst team in football (not to mention he costs his team games with his stupid mental mistakes and unstable personality). Probably our best young lineman had a severe injury, and most likely wont play at all next year, and if he does, it will be later in the season (and may never be himself again as far as football is concerned). Yea were set, bringing that Lombardi Trophy to Buffalo next year!