Grimm, Billick, Martz

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want no part of Grimm. Why does anyone who wants him think he would be good? He was an offensive lineman and offensive line coach. He yells and spits etc. This qualifies him? I'd rather have a guy who has acually taken a team through minicamps, assembled a staff, and won a Super Bowl. Let's see, a known proven quantity versus a possible maybe. Give me Brian Billick.

I want no part of Grimm. Why does anyone who wants him think he would be good? He was an offensive lineman and offensive line coach. He yells and spits etc. This qualifies him? I'd rather have a guy who has acually taken a team through minicamps, assembled a staff, and won a Super Bowl. Let's see, a known proven quantity versus a possible maybe. Give me Brian Billick.

Billick was fired from his SB team.

Hey, did you see the SB last year? Did you catch the two old, "known proven quantity" geezer HC's stalking the sidelines? Guess you missed it.

I don't know if Grimm can pick a QB (maybe Martz can), but we know Billick can't. Your response that Dilfer "won a SB" is predictable and disingenuous. That team won despite Billick and Dilfer.

That's an easy one...

Mike Leach

The interviews alone would be worth the price of admission - not sure if his style would translate over to the pro's though.

Out of the three presented Billick would probably build the best team for the elements. Heavy use of tightends and running game and could assemble a pretty respectable staff.

Of course I am guessing like everyone else, but I at least I have hope for next season. I had a pretty good idea of what Jauron was going to accomplish when this year started out and it was pretty dismal.

Billick was fired from his SB team.

Hey, did you see the SB last year? Did you catch the two old, "known proven quantity" geezer HC's stalking the sidelines? Guess you missed it.

I don't know if Grimm can pick a QB (maybe Martz can), but we know Billick can't. Your response that Dilfer "won a SB" is predictable and disingenuous. That team won despite Billick and Dilfer.

Billick was fired several years later after he won the Super Bowl. Big deal. Jimmie Johnson was fired after winning 2 Super Bowls. NFL owners do dumb things all over the league.

Did you see the game Sunday with a young unproven hot commodity ex-assistant "stalking the sidelines" ? Guess you missed it.

I do see your point though. All good HCs at one time were assistants. Tom Landry was DC for the Giants before he took over. Holmgren was QB coach or something in San Fran before he went to Green Bay. Wisenhut has done well. Tomlins took a 12-4 team and didn't screw 'em up and they won the Super Bowl. Little different than our situation. For every assitant promoted that succeeds there are 10 Gregg Williams or Mike Mularkeys or Cam Camerons or Jim Schwartz or Rob Marinellis.

At this point in time, 10 years without a playoff appearance and 5 straight non winning seasons, in my own personal opinion, we should try to pick a coach who has proven that at this level he can win a lot games and got a team to the Super Bowl.

I also don't think Trent Dilfer was such a bad QB that he only kept the seat warm and didn't screw up and his team was able to win the SB despite him (AND his coach). He played 10 games with Tampa Bay that got the NFC Championship the year before. He had a 14 year NFL carreer. 3 Super Bowl winning coaches picked him as their starter. Dungy, Billick, and the QB guru himself, Mike Holmgren.

Now, can anyone tell me what makes you think Grimm would be a good coach?

The interviews alone would be worth the price of admission - not sure if his style would translate over to the pro's though.

Out of the three presented Billick would probably build the best team for the elements. Heavy use of tightends and running game and could assemble a pretty respectable staff.

Of course I am guessing like everyone else, but I at least I have hope for next season. I had a pretty good idea of what Jauron was going to accomplish when this year started out and it was pretty dismal.

That was classic Leach, eh?

"Well when you're down with the brothers, like I am..." :lol:

Seriously, out of the 3 I'd have to go with Grimm. First, I was living in DC for Superbowl 17 when Grimm was in his prime, and second - as Leach says, "It doesn't matter what offense you run, whether you run every snap, run the option, pass - the most important position is offensive line. You can't do anything without a good offensive line, and the more they can handle for you, the more margin of error you have all the way around."

Who better to build a strong o-line than a guy who knocks heads together while blocking two at a time????

Grimm

(I love that photo)

I like the idea of Russ Grimm, but I'm afraid of whether or not he is too much of a wall flower to be an effective head coach. I've never even seen an interview of the guy. If he's a quiet, keep to himself type, then I don't think he'd be an effective head coach and I don't want the Bills to hire him.

One of the things our new head coach needs to have is a dynamic, take charge mentality. Is Grimm like that? Who the heck knows. If he is then he should probably be a finalist for the job. Out of those three I'd say Billick (yuck, I can't believe I just said that), because he has that demonstrative personality, has actually won a Superbowl, has had successfull offenses as a coordinator and picked great defensive coordinators in Baltimore. He's a bit of a jerk, but out of those three I'd have to pick him not knowing anything about Russ Grimm.

Martz is too flaky of a guy for my liking.

That was classic Leach, eh?

"Well when you're down with the brothers, like I am..." :lol:

Seriously, out of the 3 I'd have to go with Grimm. First, I was living in DC for Superbowl 17 when Grimm was in his prime, and second - as Leach says, "It doesn't matter what offense you run, whether you run every snap, run the option, pass - the most important position is offensive line. You can't do anything without a good offensive line, and the more they can handle for you, the more margin of error you have all the way around."

Who better to build a strong o-line than a guy who knocks heads together while blocking two at a time????

Grimm

(I love that photo)

Great pic of Grimm BTW. I remember Rypien's Redskin uniform being completely clean for an entire season - no one laid a hand on him, now that's protection.

I do think Grimm could do wonders for our offensive line, but would he be able to pull together the rest of the staff we need?

Zona benefits from having two world-beaters in Fitzgerald and Bolden, and a future HOF in Warner throwing to them when he isn't banged up. Grimm wont have those luxuries here - particularly at QB. I don't think that Fewell will stick around if he is not offered the job so we will be out a defensive coordinator as well - not that we have rated any less than mediocre on defense the past decade.

It will be interesting - particularly the draft. We should be able to tell a lot about the direction of this team and what the emphasis will be from the draft that our next coach/gm presides over and in what players are kept and what ones are jettisoned.

For now, I will just be happy if our players stop listening to their "fat girlfriends" :lol:

I like the idea of Russ Grimm, but I'm afraid of whether or not he is too much of a wall flower to be an effective head coach. I've never even seen an interview of the guy. If he's a quiet, keep to himself type, then I don't think he'd be an effective head coach and I don't want the Bills to hire him.

Here's the only interview of Grimm that I could find: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-tota...9000d5d80e6250a

I like that Grimm was a successful player on Super Bowl teams. He has been on and coached for successful teams and organizations (Redskins pre Daniel Snyder and the Rooney owned Steelers). He's coached with Cowher and Whisenhut and was coached by Gibbs, so he's seen good coaches coach. Whether that means he will be a good head coach, I don't know. He's not a fiery personality, he's kind of bland in this interview. I would like the Bills to consider him though and I would be happier with him getting a look than Martz or Billick. Martz is too impressed with himself and Billick coached his way out of Baltimore. Billick is also too impressed with himself and did a horrible job developing offensive talent (esp. QB's) in Baltimore.

yup. think so. EXACTLY what we need. if it cant be cowher, gimme a cowher image. and for billick, he joined the ravens talking about beeing agressive, throw on every down and whatever. one could argue that they won DESPITE him. that the team actually was run by ray lewis. but FOR SURE they won with defense. and an offensive minded HC, labeled an offensive genius, who just took a back-seat and let his defense win it all.

gimme grimm.

Anyone but Billick based on a conversation with some Ravens fans that were up here that we spent time with here. They had nothing good to say and more or less equated him with self important ego man that didin't get it done week to week.

Despite my protests of him having won a SB they wanted him run out of town.