Wondering about a possible 3-4 next year

Ennjay

I know we need upgrades, but just asking for opinions:

Can Stroud play the nose?

Can Poz play ILB in a 3-4?

By "can play" I also mean to ask "how well"?

Well, the Bills would need to make the following changes to play a 3-4.

Stroud and Kyle Williams become your D-Ends.

Need to draft Mt. Cody to play DT.

Swtich Maybin and Schobel to OLB. Make Poz and a side line to side line player your other ILB. Don't know if that guy is on the roster, but the chances of all of these working successfully is probably about 1 in 1000.

Well, the Bills would need to make the following changes to play a 3-4.

Stroud and Kyle Williams become your D-Ends.

Need to draft Mt. Cody to play DT.

Swtich Maybin and Schobel to OLB. Make Poz and a side line to side line player your other ILB. Don't know if that guy is on the roster, but the chances of all of these working successfully is probably about 1 in 1000.

Would be nice to be flexible and able to switch into either mode. we need bigger D linemen, though and Lbs galore.

It would involve having to cut about 50% of the Bills current defence and then peace together over the next year or 2 to teach and rebuild a new defensive system.

FIX THE DAMN OFFENCE AND THE DEFENCE WILL LOOK MUCH BETTER!!!!!!! THE DEFENCE IS NOT THE PROBLEM RIGHT NOW

You can win without a dominating defence, but you can't win if you don't put the ball in the endzone! The Bills have stayed in almost every single game this season until the last 10 minutes. Had the offence scored a few more times in those games, the Bills are in the playoff hunt right now.

The quickest way back to the playoffs is to fix the offence.

It would involve having to cut about 50% of the Bills current defence and then peace together over the next year or 2 to teach and rebuild a new defensive system.

FIX THE DAMN OFFENCE AND THE DEFENCE WILL LOOK MUCH BETTER!!!!!!! THE DEFENCE IS NOT THE PROBLEM RIGHT NOW

You can win without a dominating defence, but you can't win if you don't put the ball in the endzone! The Bills have stayed in almost every single game this season until the last 10 minutes. Had the offence scored a few more times in those games, the Bills are in the playoff hunt right now.

Giving up 300+ yards rushing/game isn't going to win many games. And ask the Ravens if you can win without putting the ball in the end zone. I think Brian Billick would beg to differ. I agree that the offense is horrible (who could disagree?), but the defense hasn't exactly been stingy.

We are far away from having good 3-4 personnel. Stroud is too small for NT and not athletic enough for DE. We have no NT on current roster and maybe no DE's. The only position we have possibles is at LB's with Schobel-Poz-Mitchell-Harris. Our secondary is set. If we could get Cody than maybe.

I personally feel that the Bills shouldn't switch to a 3-4 but rather get bigger with the 4-3 and abandon the soft Tampa 2. HOWEVER I see an interesting possibility with 3-4 a friend who is a Bills fan and told a interesting set up.

DE- Stroud and Kyle Williams and work in Spencer Johnson

Nose- Jason Fergueson vet type or trade up back into the first round and draft Terrance Cody or draft a big DT in the 2nd round (There will be a few available in free agency and some in the draft)

ILB- Poz and Mitchel

OLB- Arron Schobel and Arron Maybin

Pretty interesting configuration now I mean its has a lot of If's in it (If Poz and Mitchel are big enough to move inside if Schobel can make the switch if they can get a big NT) BUT if done well there are some pieces to work with on this D (Not to mention the secondary is pretty well set) and it could be very interesting.

To me I like to stay a 4-3 (Too many teams trying to run a 3-4 with not enough talent available to do so) and just grab a linebacker and some bigger D-lineman in the draft and free agency. Personally feel that if we can grab Derrick Johnson and a Jason Fergueson along with resigning Draft and grabbing another vet OLB in free agency as well as getting a good young

D-lineman in the second round should sets up this D to be much improved while putting the 1st round pick to use on the offensive line (LT obviously).

We are far away from having good 3-4 personnel. Stroud is too small for NT and not athletic enough for DE. We have no NT on current roster and maybe no DE's. The only position we have possibles is at LB's with Schobel-Poz-Mitchell-Harris. Our secondary is set. If we could get Cody than maybe.

Exactly; a switch to a 3-4 will set the Bills back 3-4 years! Our weakness is LB's and stout 2 gap DT; why change to a scheme that emphasizes this? We could excell in the 4-3 with a change in philosophy - less read and react ,more attack. Also we need bigger, stouter LBs who can fill a hole, take on and shed blocks. We could use more stout DTs to use in our rotation but honestly the poor run defense is due more to LB play as they consistenly over run the play and lose their gap containment.

I think our secondary will be stacked next year - Florence is our best coverage DB and if McKlevin can recover from injury he and McGee can fight it out for the other side while Corner is a beast at slot coverage but a bust on the outside. We are stacked at safety; while I am not a Whitner basher like most but if we can save salary he can be cut because honestly Byrd, Scott, and Wilson can fill the role. But cutting WHitner just for sake would be stupid as injury can happen as we well know and he can honestly play both saftey positions as well as fill in nickleback; Byrd and Scott are not as interchangable at safety.

I know we need upgrades, but just asking for opinions:

Can Stroud play the nose?

Can Poz play ILB in a 3-4?

By "can play" I also mean to ask "how well"?

I think Poz and Mitchell could play ILB.

I think Stroud would be an end in a 3-4. I think Kyle Williams could play nose. Not all nose tackles in 3-4's have to be 350 lbs (remember Jeff Wright). Probably not the long term ideal though.

Schobel though isn't really an easy fit - it would be kind of dumb to make him try and learn to play rush linebacker when he's our most effective lineman but, it would be kind of dumb to leave him as an end in 3-4 since it would neutralize his strengths.

without adding anyone new here would be my 3-4 defense next year:

line - Spencer Johnson or Kelsay, Williams, Stroud

LBers - Schobel, Poz, Mitchel, Harris with Maybin subbing in on the edges situationally

I agree with you, our offense cant stay on the field and turns the ball over in bad situation. Our defense is pretty good sure we could use a player here and there but it is a pretty solid core.