Whitner at it again!

Estelle Getty

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Took a horrible angle on Charles 76 yd td run. Ran right past him as he was was standing right in front of charles. Go Donte! Watch the replay, that is why you have safetys on the field.....last line of defense. Whitners fat ass got smoked.

I finally got around to watching the game and was expecting to see a horrible play by Whitner. You guys are friggin nuts. The whole defense was up close to the line of scrimmage, the RB broke through and had a wide open field to make any move he wanted. He cut right and Whitner followed (had he not followed the whole right side of the field was open), then he cut back left and took off. How in the hell does that equal taking a bad angle on a run?

It's like you people make up plays in your head and then get pissed about them.

I finally got around to watching the game and was expecting to see a horrible play by Whitner. You guys are friggin nuts. The whole defense was up close to the line of scrimmage, the RB broke through and had a wide open field to make any move he wanted. He cut right and Whitner followed (had he not followed the whole right side of the field was open), then he cut back left and took off. How in the hell does that equal taking a bad angle on a run?

It's like you people make up plays in your head and then get pissed about them.

Are you serious? Right the Chiefs 2nd (or even 3rd) string RB makes one devastating move and blows right past Whitner (pulls away actually) and its OK? Dude Troy Polamalu or Bob Sanders makes that tackle 10/10 times. Sorry when my team picks a S w/ the #8 pick those are my expectations. He has to come upfield alot faster (watch when he makes open field tackles he just stands still moving his feet up and down) and just be able to be athletic enough to not get juked and then get outran (poorly). I think you see Drayton Florence (whos big and physical and is not fast) catch up to both of them - so I have a good measuring stick for comparison. Whitner is slow - not good enough of a ball hawk to play FS (and not good enough open field tackler) and too small to play SS (cant cover TEs and gets run over by RBs too much).

Lets be honest - George Wilson makes wayyyyy more plays than Whitner. Scott makes way morrre plays. And of course Byrd. He is not a nickel cover guy either. He is a backup. A lot of Bills players (defense) are backups.

Are you serious? Right the Chiefs 2nd (or even 3rd) string RB makes one devastating move and blows right past Whitner (pulls away actually) and its OK? Dude Troy Polamalu or Bob Sanders makes that tackle 10/10 times. Sorry when my team picks a S w/ the #8 pick those are my expectations. He has to come upfield alot faster (watch when he makes open field tackles he just stands still moving his feet up and down) and just be able to be athletic enough to not get juked and then get outran (poorly). I think you see Drayton Florence (whos big and physical and is not fast) catch up to both of them - so I have a good measuring stick for comparison. Whitner is slow - not good enough of a ball hawk to play FS (and not good enough open field tackler) and too small to play SS (cant cover TEs and gets run over by RBs too much).

Lets be honest - George Wilson makes wayyyyy more plays than Whitner. Scott makes way morrre plays. And of course Byrd. He is not a nickel cover guy either. He is a backup. A lot of Bills players (defense) are backups.

It was an all out bitz. Whitner was playing very deep because he was the only guy back there. He was the last line of defense against a PASS! The RB wasn't supposed to be able to blow through an 8 man front with one quick move. And no, no other SS in the league makes that play 10/10 times. Give me a friggin break.

This has nothing to do with what I think about Whitner as a player over-all, so most of your post is superfluous. It has to do with what happened on that one play.

Please look at the replay of the Charles TD run. Whitner did not (as the original poster suggests) take the wrong angle. Rather, he was beaten with an open field move that exploited his aggressive penetration and pursuit. He messed-up, but Donte is hardly the biggest problem on this defense and generally provides a lot in run support.

He made some plays today, so we're cutting him some slack because he earned it. But it doesn't excuse his usually poor play.

He's a big disappointment.

Even Donte has had a few decent days. His apologists really only came to admit he is a bust early this season, so it doesn't surprise me that Puz still has his apologists despite his poor play. The Bills basically used the equivalent of a late first round pick(2nd and 3rd) on Puz and 3 years into his career his fans are grasping for straws to defend him. Like chirping about his game against KC, one of the worst teams in the league.

I was glad to see him play better, it would be nice if he could somehow develop into a good player. But I honestly I expect the Pats, even in their shaky state, to take advantage of him all day next week. I hope he can get better, but I wonder about his place here in Buffalo. He can't play well consistently at MLB in a 4-3. That's clear. If they shift to a 3-4, he definitely can't play as a rush OLB. Maybe he would be better as an OLB in a 4-3 or ILB in a 3-4, but who knows. Either way, he's not gotten it done in his first 3 seasons, his own teammates(Stroud) have started to question his ability, and a lot of his problems appear to be instinctive. Not good.

Donte's NOT a bust. From day one many of us have been saying that he was picked too early, but that's not his fault. He's a slightly better than average safety who will never be Polamalu, Sanders or Ed Reed. That doesn't make him a bust.

And Stroud didn't question Poz's ability. He only said that he'd pick OL or MLB. He may have meant that he thought Poz would be a terrific OLB, or he may even just have meant that he really likes McClain.

No need to look to hard Rolando McLain should be our 1st round pick. Put Poz on the outside.

When McLain hits people feel it. He is the sure shot pro bowler in the draft (along with Suh).

Agree with McLain's prospects and even at 10 or 11, we will have a shot at him. Also agree with the OP's point about Whitner making that bad angle. Honestly, he looks like he's afarid of making a one-on-one tackle anymore, after getting Sammy Morrised last year.

No need to look to hard Rolando McLain should be our 1st round pick. Put Poz on the outside.

When McLain hits people feel it. He is the sure shot pro bowler in the draft (along with Suh).

Yep I am on board with this. This guy hits everything in sight & when he hits you your going to feel it. Poz is not good enough to be a middle lb. Looks like we will be picking around, hopefully he is still there.

Our #8 overall pick is a marginal player who is not even 3rd best SAFETY on his team.

That spells bust to me.

You know what though? I really like Wilson & Byrd as the safeties, they may be the best pair of young, up-and-coming safeties in the league. I would've been thrilled if Lil Donte & Ko looked half-as-good in 2006 as these 2 do right now. So that is one positive to come from this year. :wallbash:

Our #8 overall pick is a marginal player who is not even 3rd best SAFETY on his team.

That spells bust to me.

Yes agreed- saying he will never be ed reed, troy, or sanders means that he is a bust given that he was selected #8 overall. You need to revisit your definition of a bust.

You know what though? I really like Wilson & Byrd as the safeties, they may be the best pair of young, up-and-coming safeties in the league. I would've been thrilled if Lil Donte & Ko looked half-as-good in 2006 as these 2 do right now. So that is one positive to come from this year. :wallbash:

Most definitely, Rico. It's so obvious now that even the "slow" among us like C. Biscuit can figure it out.

The why does Fewell keep starting Donte? Can he not see it or is Byrd injured at the start of games then heals as the games goes on?????

Judging by the playing time splits, it looks like Wilson and Byrd (and Scott for that matter) are the safeties of the future. Since the team is so short on linebackers, it seems as though Whitner is useful on running downs. But if we had healthy linebackers, my guess is Whitner's playing time gets cut significantly.

The why does Fewell keep starting Donte? Can he not see it or is Byrd injured at the start of games then heals as the games goes on?????

It's great having a guy that gets interceptions, but from what I can tell (it's tough to get a great read on what safeties are doing play to play...which is why I'm always skeptical of the insight around here), he isn't very effective in the run game. Despite the cries to the opposite, Donte is consistently around the ball (can I get a predictable "jumping on the pile" comment here?) and often makes great tackles when he's close to the line of scrimmage. I rarely see Byrd get to the ball carrier and when he does he's usually late.

I hope he learns quickly. It's a shame to have his skill sitting on the bench.

Donte's NOT a bust. From day one many of us have been saying that he was picked too early, but that's not his fault. He's a slightly better than average safety who will never be Polamalu, Sanders or Ed Reed. That doesn't make him a bust.

And Stroud didn't question Poz's ability. He only said that he'd pick OL or MLB. He may have meant that he thought Poz would be a terrific OLB, or he may even just have meant that he really likes McClain.

Stroud may have mentioned MLB because this team is so desparatly thin at the LB position that they are playing POZ in the middle which has not been his natural position alongside a emergency-converted linebacker from strong safety in Scott and Draft who is a 33 year old FA castoff who has never been an impact player and has been passed around during his career from the Bears, Niners, Falcons, Panthers, and Rams.

Stroud was just stating the obvious, they have a lot of players playing out of position to cover up for their lack of depth at LB - I highly doubt he was singling out POZ. That being said, Maybin should have been moved to OLB at some point this season to see if he could make the move and flourish there, heck he could always lineup on the line and rush the passer on obvious passing downs. I understand Fewel trying to win games to show his coaching prowess, but it does this team no good to leave their future players on the bench while scrubs try to win a few more meaningless games for us.