Shopping, who is done? Who is just starting?

mead107

Who has started and who has it all done? I am all done. My daughter did a lot of it.

Do you buy for your wife or husband?

Do you buy for other members of your family?

Shopping for my wife is all done. We are only doing stocking gifts this year because we are going to Hawaii in June.

My wife and sister are out shopping for a family that we adopted this year (a family of seven). Normally we give to brothers and sisters. Not doing that anymore because we adopted the family which will become the new Holiday tradition. Doing brunch at our house Sunday and then wrapping the gifts.

We are still doing gifts to my mother and aunt.

i told my kids that circumstances being what they are to expect maybe one gift each from me this year, and also that it would be a great idea if we took some of the money set aside for christmas and get gift cards for a drive a neighbor is organizing that is collecting gifts for kids at MCV who have life threatening illnesses.....they seem to understand...plus their mom will be giving them some gifts as well....

i was really kind of down on the whole holiday scene this year until i realized its really not about the stuff we want, but its really about the stuff(people, etc) we have....that has really lifted my mood this year...its kind of hard to stay focused on that, but its fun once you do....

Mead, that's a fantastic idea - adopting a family for Christmas. How did you go about doing that? (no smarmy responses from the peanut gallery please) My wife and I are nearly empty nesters - our son and darling daughter dear are somewhat close by, but long gone are the days of finding Christmas presents at "Toys-For-Us" as our kids called it. We've been trying to wind down with the layers of gift giving for the past few years, and adopting a family sounds like a great thing to do - and a better place to focus our intentions now that everybody's all grown up and has just about all the toys and goodies we need and want.

Mead, that's a fantastic idea - adopting a family for Christmas. How did you go about doing that? (no smarmy responses from the peanut gallery please) My wife and I are nearly empty nesters - our son and darling daughter dear are somewhat close by, but long gone are the days of finding Christmas presents at "Toys-For-Us" as our kids called it. We've been trying to wind down with the layers of gift giving for the past few years, and adopting a family sounds like a great thing to do - and a better place to focus our intentions now that everybody's all grown up and has just about all the toys and goodies we need and want.

We contacted the local Community Human Services in are area.

Who has started and who has it all done? I am all done. My daughter did a lot of it.

Do you buy for your wife or husband?

Do you buy for other members of your family?

Shopping for my wife is all done. We are only doing stocking gifts this year because we are going to Hawaii in June.

My wife and sister are out shopping for a family that we adopted this year (a family of seven). Normally we give to brothers and sisters. Not doing that anymore because we adopted the family which will become the new Holiday tradition. Doing brunch at our house Sunday and then wrapping the gifts.

:lol:

My wife wanted to do that this year -- we went through the JC Penny/Salvation Army "Adopt an Angel" program:

http://angel.jcpenney.com/?mscssid=6b59646...5741C8B20934714

She spent a lot of time looking at the kids - most wanted MP3 players and other electronic gadgets. Then she found one teen who wanted a some books -- she loves reading too, so decided to adopt him. :lol: It's a great idea, especially if you have the means to do it.