Kansas HC Position....

Kipers Hair

Looks like they will annouce they are hiring Harbough from Standford for the opening.... As an alumnus, I love the fact he is staying at UB, but I cannot understand why a major program would pass on Gill. Seems to be an excellent coach, solid recruiter and brings a nice presence to a program. Oh well - hopefully we get another year or two of him at UB - I look forward to those games in Tuesday night TV....

Looks like they will annouce they are hiring Harbough from Standford for the opening.... As an alumnus, I love the fact he is staying at UB, but I cannot understand why a major program would pass on Gill. Seems to be an excellent coach, solid recruiter and brings a nice presence to a program. Oh well - hopefully we get another year or two of him at UB - I look forward to those games in Tuesday night TV....

I like Gill alot too but his resume doesn't stack up to Harbough's. I would be a bit suprised if Harbough went anywhere though.

Well, Kansas is Big 12. And though the program hit the snide with fat-slob Mangino, it's not as podunk as you'd think. Reportedly, an offer would be $2.5M a season.

As important a thing is for a college coach, Harbaugh arguably has better recruiting contacts in the midwest than in the traditional Pac-10 territory. While he was still playing in the NFL, he scouted & recruited for his father at W.Kentucky in Indiana, Illinois, and he played at Michigan. He may desire a switch in playing style. Kansas is also fairly close to his wife's family [Writer's Note on this point: DON'T DO IT, JIM!!!!! :lol:].

Harbaugh to Kansas doesn't make sense to me. I think he already has the resume to go to a higher prestige program or the NFL at this point. He's developing a top quarterback at Stanford, Oliver Luck.

According to this article, one possible reason Harbaugh's name is out there is to gain leverage in contract talks with Stanford.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports...kansas-reports/

Of course this is all speculation. I could be wrong but I'd still be surprised if he signed with Kansas. I guess we'll see pretty soon.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on Stanford, but I do follow the Pac-10 pretty closely. My understanding is that Stanford's athletic program is in a lot of debt, and as with every other school with high profile sports, the faculty has been squawking about how the priorities have gotten skewed. On top of that, Harbaugh made the tone-deaf decision of having a gazillion dollar bathroom installed in his office. He has certainly done a fantastic job turning around that program. My ties to the Pac-10 go back to 1995, and the '06 Cardinal (Trent Edward's sr year) were the worst team I have seen in that conference until this year's Cougs.

Having said that, I would also point out that he has long been known as arrogant (the bathroom thing being a good example) and mouthy: long time Bills fans might remember him and Jim Kelly getting in a fight the year after JK retired. And he alienated people at Michigan a couple years ago by shooting his mouth off about their academics. And in my own opinion, he made some strange decisions during games that may have cost his team a win or two this year. I would have to respectfully disagree with the poster who suggested his recruiting in the West is hampered due to his mid-west ties; he also coached 1AA U of San Diego before Stanford and he is getting better players than everyone out there but Carroll.

Anyway, wherever he winds up, I won't be surprised. And also, his QB is Andrew Luck; Oliver is Andrew's dad.

Are you kidding I would have to see a link to believe this. I personally think that Harbaugh either stays at Stanford or gets a shot in the NFL. No way in heck do I believe that he would go to Kansas to be the Head Coach.

Now I could believe that Gill would take the job if offered.