Interview question I am faced with.....

The Poojer

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got a heads up on an interview question I will be facing....apparently they don't really want an answer, they simply want to see how I approach the answer....

'On any given day in July, how many golf balls are in the air at any one time....'

my thought process is that at any one time there are proabaly 18 balls in the air per golf course....(no balls in the air on par 3s, due to people on drivable greens, but 2 balls in the air on each par 5).....multiply that 18 times the number of golf courses in the US....

anyone have any more creative thoughts?

All of them except the one(s) left on the moon are in the air (unless you live in a vacuum).

ok, here is what i have so far.....the hardest part of this is going to be to mask the fact that i am prepared for the questions....as they will know immediately how I came into the knowledge....not that they do not already suspect i have the information...just need to make it seem as though I am talking and thinking it through as i go along...easiest way to do that is to let them know that I am using internet resources to gather info as we speak....still have some work to do on, but you guys have given me alot more info that i hadn't considered.....if i get the job....I owe you a beer :wacko:

golf ball question....

assume 18 balls are in the air at any given time per golf ball....assuming that everyone is syncronized to hit at the same time...taking into account that at that given time 0 balls will be in the air on standard Par 3 holes...4 Par 3's per course, and 2 balls will be in the air on each standard Par 5 hole, 4 par 5's per course.

according to internet reports there are anywhere from 16,000 to 22,000 courses, both public and private in the united states...for ease lets use 20,000 as the number of golf courses in the united states...

18(number of balls in the air at any one time) x 20000(number of golf courses) = 360,000 golf balls in the air at any give time in the month of july

this does not take into account the number of driving ranges in the united states. that data is a bit harder to come by as I would have to first figure out the number of driving ranges, both stand alone as well as part of a public or private course, and the number of driving stations on average per driving range facility. this number would be nearly impossible to determine as many driving ranges have set stalls for driving but also golfers use areas not stalled to hit fairway iron shots, chips etc...

also to take into consideration would be to include at least one practice putting area per golf course and the golfers that are practicing chips at those separate areas.

will have to give further thought as to other areas where golf balls may be in use(ie, public parks where people practice on their own) swimming pools where golf balls are popular items to throw and dive for....this kind of analysis and data collection is not something that I can accurately provide on such short notice....it requires more time.

gold question

1 standard ounce = .91 troy ounce

1 pound = 14.5 troy ounces

14.5 troy ounces x 1100.00 = 15950.00 for a standard pound of gold

15950 x 2000 = $31,900,000.00 for a standard ton of gold

metric tonne = 2205 pounds....

therefore.....being that precious metals are measured in troy weight and sold by metric weights....

1 tonne of gold would cost roughly $35,169,750.00

ok, here is what i have so far.....the hardest part of this is going to be to mask the fact that i am prepared for the questions....as they will know immediately how I came into the knowledge....not that they do not already suspect i have the information...just need to make it seem as though I am talking and thinking it through as i go along...easiest way to do that is to let them know that I am using internet resources to gather info as we speak....still have some work to do on, but you guys have given me alot more info that i hadn't considered.....if i get the job....I owe you a beer <_<

Ever consider knocking off the booze? :lol::lol::lol::lol: [just kidding]

got a heads up on an interview question I will be facing....apparently they don't really want an answer, they simply want to see how I approach the answer....

'On any given day in July, how many golf balls are in the air at any one time....'

my thought process is that at any one time there are proabaly 18 balls in the air per golf course....(no balls in the air on par 3s, due to people on drivable greens, but 2 balls in the air on each par 5).....multiply that 18 times the number of golf courses in the US....

anyone have any more creative thoughts?

I would answer this in one of two ways:

1) refuse to answer by asking a series of questions that illustrate the absurdity of the question: "What time of day is it?" (Because few people are golfing at 3am.) "In which time zone?" (Because few people golf in Outer Mongolia, even at 10am). "What's the weather like?" (Because fewer people golf during a driving rain.) "Does that include golf balls in transit on airplanes?" (Gifts shipped by FedEx, or people flying on golf holidays with their golf bags as cargo.)

2) This is the one I prefer: derive and write down some complex equation describing the number of balls in the air at any given, specific golf course at any given time integrated over all golf courses in the country (bonus points for using Dirac delta functions), then give it to the interviewer and say "The solution is left as an exercise for the student."

i do think that creativity and exploring all possible scenarios is the key to winning them over...i like the golf balls in transit example you provided....its an analyst position, so the more i dig for more information the better it looks

1) refuse to answer by asking a series of questions that illustrate the absurdity of the question: "What time of day is it?" (Because few people are golfing at 3am.) "In which time zone?" (Because few people golf in Outer Mongolia, even at 10am). "What's the weather like?" (Because fewer people golf during a driving rain.) "Does that include golf balls in transit on airplanes?" (Gifts shipped by FedEx, or people flying on golf holidays with their golf bags as cargo.)

2) This is the one I prefer: derive and write down some complex equation describing the number of balls in the air at any given, specific golf course at any given time integrated over all golf courses in the country (bonus points for using Dirac delta functions), then give it to the interviewer and say "The solution is left as an exercise for the student."

i do think that creativity and exploring all possible scenarios is the key to winning them over...i like the golf balls in transit example you provided....its an analyst position, so the more i dig for more information the better it looks

In that case, I HIGHLY suggest going with that method.

I've been on the receiving end of questions like that in interviews ("How would you calculate the surface area of the field surface in Candlestick Park?" "Why are manhole covers round?") I've invariably found that the purpose of those questions isn't to get an answer, but to test how you approach and analyse the problem.

(The answers I gave to the two questions above, btw, were "I'd get the plans from the county building inspector's office and look it up." and "Because manholes are round.")

Next.

ok, here is what i have so far.....the hardest part of this is going to be to mask the fact that i am prepared for the questions....as they will know immediately how I came into the knowledge....not that they do not already suspect i have the information...just need to make it seem as though I am talking and thinking it through as i go along...easiest way to do that is to let them know that I am using internet resources to gather info as we speak....still have some work to do on, but you guys have given me alot more info that i hadn't considered.....if i get the job....I owe you a beer :beer:

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

You left out the part about not washing his balls.

Enjoy washing his balls.

I've been on the receiving end of questions like that in interviews ("How would you calculate the surface area of the field surface in Candlestick Park?" "Why are manhole covers round?") I've invariably found that the purpose of those questions isn't to get an answer, but to test how you approach and analyse the problem.

(The answers I gave to the two questions above, btw, were "I'd get the plans from the county building inspector's office and look it up." and "Because manholes are round.")

Dude they don't even call it Candlestick anymore. Plus you'd have to ask if it was before or after they knocked down the right field wall so steroid Bonds could hit all those home runs in the lake.

Because you can very easily drop a square one in the manhole. Round lids are extremely difficult to accidentally drop into the hole. I would say impossible, but I know someone that did it last year. No idea how, but they sure enough did.

after all the suggestions and me practicing to be coming up with the answers off the top of my head, they never got to the silly questions...my worries about the tone of the interview were answered early on...it was a comfortable mix of serious and light hearted banter....

i think the interview went well, now as always....its a waiting game.....

after all the suggestions and me practicing to be coming up with the answers off the top of my head, they never got to the silly questions...my worries about the tone of the interview were answered early on...it was a comfortable mix of serious and light hearted banter....

i think the interview went well, now as always....its a waiting game.....

So you skipped the interview and bought running shoes.

oh heck yeah.....

...actually the beauty of the phone interview today was the bailey's in the coffee, then after 60 minutes i noticed it was noon, so i then cracked a beer.....and i wonder why i can't get a job :wallbash:;)

So you skipped the interview and bought running shoes.