Interview question I am faced with.....

The Poojer

got a heads up on an interview question I will be facing....apparently they don't really want an answer, they simply want to see how I approach the answer....

'On any given day in July, how many golf balls are in the air at any one time....'

my thought process is that at any one time there are proabaly 18 balls in the air per golf course....(no balls in the air on par 3s, due to people on drivable greens, but 2 balls in the air on each par 5).....multiply that 18 times the number of golf courses in the US....

anyone have any more creative thoughts?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got a heads up on an interview question I will be facing....apparently they don't really want an answer, they simply want to see how I approach the answer....

'On any given day in July, how many golf balls are in the air at any one time....'

my thought process is that at any one time there are proabaly 18 balls in the air per golf course....(no balls in the air on par 3s, due to people on drivable greens, but 2 balls in the air on each par 5).....multiply that 18 times the number of golf courses in the US....

off the top of my head, id respond with:

"how many executives are there at this company?" :rolleyes:

and then there is the classic:

"uhhh-huh-uhu-huh, you said balls..."

As many that can fill a school bus. Say it with a straight face.

There's a fundamental flaw in your assumption. There is NOT a ball/hole in the air at all times, in fact I'd be inclined to think that is seldom the case.

Consider that a typical round of golf lasts about 4 hrs and during that time you typically only have about 40 shots that are airborne. Just guessing on avg they stay airborne for 5 seconds.

Given those facts, you can approach the problem any # of ways. I'll leave that up to you.

Don't forget about driving ranges. You were asked about balls in the air, not balls in the air on a course.

And talk the answer out...make no assumptions without telling the interviewer first.

there is the potential to be a ball/hole in the air at all times during golf playing times....i would approach it assuming that...like i said, they are looking more for the approach i take to get to the answer than for the answer itself...an easier question they may ask is how much 2 tons of gold costs....which is a much easier question to attack

There's a fundamental flaw in your assumption. There is NOT a ball/hole in the air at all times, in fact I'd be inclined to think that is seldom the case.

Consider that a typical round of golf lasts about 4 hrs and during that time you typically only have about 40 shots that are airborne. Just guessing on avg they stay airborne for 5 seconds.

Given those facts, you can approach the problem any # of ways. I'll leave that up to you.

there is the potential to be a ball/hole in the air at all times during golf playing times....i would approach it assuming that...like i said, they are looking more for the approach i take to get to the answer than for the answer itself...an easier question they may ask is how much 2 tons of gold costs....which is a much easier question to attack

My answer: Well, I like where you're going with my monthly salary range, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. What's your benefits package like?

hahahahahahahahaha......i am torn, because the 2 people i am interviewing with are friends of mine, one would be my direct boss and the other is my potential boss' boss, there is a chance that the interview will be very light in nature, but that has yet to be determined....i am gonna have to see how it starts off...btw, its a phone interview, so there won't be any face to face....

My answer: Well, I like where you're going with my monthly salary range, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. What's your benefits package like?

hahahahahahahahaha......i am torn, because the 2 people i am interviewing with are friends of mine, one would be my direct boss and the other is my potential boss' boss, there is a chance that the interview will be very light in nature, but that has yet to be determined....i am gonna have to see how it starts off...btw, its a phone interview, so there won't be any face to face....

Seriously, I always try to lighten the mood with a little humor first, but then I'd immediately follow that with a more serious reply.

Half the interview is just seeing if you like this person and want to work with them. The other half is can they actually do the job. I've interviewed some people that had the personality of rocks, and its hard to hire them if you don't think they'll fit in.

As far as the real answers.. that's alot of math. I try not to do math. It's hard :rolleyes:

Don't forget about driving ranges. You were asked about balls in the air, not balls in the air on a course.

And talk the answer out...make no assumptions without telling the interviewer first.

and are we talking about the US or world?

They didn't say in the US.

It is a trick question. From July 9-17th it is summer in Canada so you'd have to add Canadian courses in. This would render "any given day in July" mute as July 1-8 and 18-31 typically see closed Canadian courses.

In addition, even golfs balls laying on the ground still have 99% of their surface area "in the air".

The ideal answer is:

I don't know the exact number but it'll be one more than last July Mr. Jones because you'll be able to play every day as I do all of your work for you. Just don't ask me to wash your balls when you get back to the office because I have to draw the line somewhere.

Provide any other answer at your own peril.

Dave Sutton, former CEO of Inforte explains, “If you don't know what culture you have, you can't screen for it. We look for people who come from a culture of learning. I may ask a silly question like, ‘How many golf balls are in the air right now?’ If the candidate begins to enthusiastically analyze the problem, I know we are on the right track

Whatever you answer you need to start out with an ethusiastic "wow, that's a great question. Are we talking US, Globally, courses only or driving ranges?" Then just start running numbers in your head, take your time, think about it, think about it and respond with......a shitload! :rolleyes:

Whatever you answer you need to start out with an ethusiastic "wow, that's a great question. Are we talking US, Globally, courses only or driving ranges?" Then just start running numbers in your head, take your time, think about it, think about it and respond with......a shitload! :rolleyes:

That is not analytical at all. My comment about balls on the ground having 99% of their surface area covered by air now that is analytical.

When you think about it Jim, even most of the balls you've played which are now underwater are 33% covered by air. Water is H2O which means it is one third oxygen. Another word for oxygen is of course air so you have to factor that in.

They didn't say in the US.

It is a trick question. From July 9-17th it is summer in Canada so you'd have to add Canadian courses in. This would render "any given day in July" mute as July 1-8 and 18-31 typically see closed Canadian courses.

In addition, even golfs balls laying on the ground still have 99% of their surface area "in the air".

The ideal answer is:

I don't know the exact number but it'll be one more than last July Mr. Jones because you'll be able to play every day as I do all of your work for you. Just don't ask me to wash your balls when you get back to the office because I have to draw the line somewhere.

Provide any other answer at your own peril.

They don't close during those days, it's just snow golf.

Chef, thanks for that....i had yet to google the question...that is outstanding advice that you gave.....

...thanks to all for the suggestions....it sounds like this job is mine to lose..but i have heard that before.