Coaching

pBills

On SportsTalk 980 they were talking about some credible (sorry name escapes me) sports writer saying it was a done deal that Shanahan will be in DC and that Serato will stay as GM. Then they went on to complain about Serato.

So if that is truly the case... then what? Ralph ups the amount and goes after Cowher? Martz? Stays with Fewell?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't buy it. Shanahan would want a lot of control and I doubt Cerrato would want to be around if Snyder gives him that. It really boils down to what Snyder wants to do.

To answer your question, if this happens, then I have a feeling Ralph would want to throw money at another big, recognizable name.

I still don't buy it. Shanahan would want a lot of control and I doubt Cerrato would want to be around if Snyder gives him that. It really boils down to what Snyder wants to do.

To answer your question, if this happens, then I have a feeling Ralph would want to throw money at another big, recognizable name.

I don't know, part of me thinks he would go into a shell and say well Fewell has been coaching well. Go with him.

the more i think about it, the more I would love to see Russ Grimm get a shot here in buffalo, doesn't seem like a bad thing to have a cowher protege as a coach, wish there was a way to get grimm and keep fewell, but that aint gonna happen

Totally forgot about him. He would be a nice alternative.

the more i think about it, the more I would love to see Russ Grimm get a shot here in buffalo, doesn't seem like a bad thing to have a cowher protege as a coach, wish there was a way to get grimm and keep fewell, but that aint gonna happen

Totally agree with you on Grimm, If I am Wilson, he is my #1 target in the offseason. Shanny is not coming here. I do not understand why you would want Fewell back though, the guy has run one of the softest defenses in the league for the last 4 years; and before you say well look at the personel he had to work with. I am sure he had a hand in picking all of those undersized LBs/DEs over the years.

I see Ralph's choice coming from this group...

New Guys...

Russ Grimm

Leslie Frazier

Jim Harbaugh

Old Guys...

John Fox

Brain Billick

Marty Schottenhiemer

MARTY SHOTTENHIEMER IS NOT COMING BACK INTO THE NFL FOR US OR ANY OTHER TEAM!!! How many times does the guy have to say this before people will stop writing this? Marty has said repeatedly that he's retired, he's happy to be retired and that he's not coming back.

MARTY SHOTTENHIEMER IS NOT COMING BACK INTO THE NFL FOR US OR ANY OTHER TEAM!!! How many times does the guy have to say this before people will stop writing this? Marty has said repeatedly that he's retired, he's happy to be retired and that he's not coming back.

Not to mention John Fox still has a job.

FWIW, Adam Schefter of ESPN (who was once the beat reporter for Denver and remains close with Shanahan) claims that Shanahan doesn't necessarily want full control, and that it's never been a sticking point for him. He said that the stigma stuck with Shanahan after he had a personality clash with Ted Sundquist in Denver and asked Owner Pat Bowlen for full control (and subsequently received it).

With full control, Shanahan put together one of the best draft classes in the league in 2008, drafting Ryan Clady, Eddie Royal, Peyton Hillis, and Spencer Larson, who all became starters in the rookie years.

Agree on Russ Grimm and Leslie Frazier. They're the two standout coordinators right now, and unlike Shanahan, they'd stick to coaching while Ralph could bring in a real GM.

Either of those guys would be great.

If we go the coordinator route again, Grimm would be my first choice.

Unless he's been promoted, the Cardinals website lists Grimm as Asst. HC/OL Coach, so I don't think he's ever been a coordinator...not meaning to nitpick, but I thought you might want to know.

90% chance you're right. But people change their minds, especially when they don't have another career to go with ala Dungy.

He won't after this season. Cowher to Carolina is going to happen.

Do you have some inside info on that?

I just hate people speculating that John Fox/Jeff Fisher would be potential candidates just because their teams are having bad seasons. It sounds way too much like you're in the media trying to generate a non-existent story.

Agree on Russ Grimm and Leslie Frazier. They're the two standout coordinators right now, and unlike Shanahan, they'd stick to coaching while Ralph could bring in a real GM.

I like it. A real GM will solve 80% of our problems. These coaches could solve the rest. Grimm's units are also very tough, something we def need.