Chad Pennington and Derrick Johnson

billsfan89

Tom Brady and Chad Pennington are the last two QB's to win the AFC east since 2001. Now we all know that Trent is not the answer and Fitz is no more then a good backup. Brohm is a project and won't start next season or maybe not the year after if ever. Now even if we go QB round 1 (I think LT is the better pick philosophically but its all Dependant on the guys actually available) Pennington is a great guy to have a young guy sit and learn for a year from him.

Derrick Johnson is a guy on the outs in KC because he isn't a fit for the scheme. Now if we maintain a 4-3 he is a good fit for that scheme and due to his dropped value could be had at a very reasonable price (Around the same deal we gave Mitchell) and help out this much hindered run D.

Both could be had both fit a need and could be had. Draft a LT in round 1, Draft a DT in round 2, and sign Pennington and Derrick Johnson and this team fills 4 needs going into next season. Seems like a plan?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Brady and Chad Pennington are the last two QB's to win the AFC east since 2001. Now we all know that Trent is not the answer and Fitz is no more then a good backup. Brohm is a project and won't start next season or maybe not the year after if ever. Now even if we go QB round 1 (I think LT is the better pick philosophically but its all Dependant on the guys actually available) Pennington is a great guy to have a young guy sit and learn for a year from him.

Derrick Johnson is a guy on the outs in KC because he isn't a fit for the scheme. Now if we maintain a 4-3 he is a good fit for that scheme and due to his dropped value could be had at a very reasonable price (Around the same deal we gave Mitchell) and help out this much hindered run D.

Both could be had both fit a need and could be had. Draft a LT in round 1, Draft a DT in round 2, and sign Pennington and Derrick Johnson and this team fills 4 needs going into next season. Seems like a plan?

Ok with DJ, not with Pennington. Imagine his loose, soft balls fluttering in the Buffalo wind.

Ok with DJ, not with Pennington. Imagine his loose, soft balls fluttering in the Buffalo wind.

Guy has played well in the meadowlands and has played in Buffalo a lot so its not a unfamiliar situation. To me its nothing more then a stop gap but get a professional QB in here enough with the young guys who do nothing but waste our time. He is a winner and is due for a healthy season next year and knows this division. Have Fitz as the backup and Brohm as Pennington's student.

Guy has played well in the meadowlands and has played in Buffalo a lot so its not a unfamiliar situation. To me its nothing more then a stop gap but get a professional QB in here enough with the young guys who do nothing but waste our time. He is a winner and is due for a healthy season next year and knows this division. Have Fitz as the backup and Brohm as Pennington's student.

I think that Pennington's days as a starting QB are over with his second serious shoulder injury. He'd be a solid back-up guy to have around though.

Meadowlands was what, 4 or 5 years ago? And the reason they let him go was because of his ball velocity and arm strength. He's also on his what, 4th or 5th upper body/shoulder injury? I believe there is talk that he might not even be able to come back to play in the NFL. Understand what you are going for, but don't have the right guy. Especially with a burner like Lee Evans. And to be honest, I'm sick of watching dinking and dunking Buffalo Bills football....hasn't really gone all that well.

You dont want Vick but you want noodle arm Pennington....................really.......... I'll pass , instead I'll take M.Vick and D.Johnson . I want people that defenses have to game Plan we have a pennington already his name is Edwards........he can play on your team as long as its not the Bills.

You dont want Vick but you want noodle arm Pennington....................really.......... I'll pass , instead I'll take M.Vick and D.Johnson . I want people that defenses have to game Plan we have a pennington already his name is Edwards........he can play on your team as long as its not the Bills.

Noodle arm Pennington when healthy is a winning QB (took the Fins to the Division title just last season) and knows this division well. Not going to deny he has limitations BUT as a one or two year stop gap situation he is perfect for Buffalo use the top 2 picks to get these lines in order while Pennington gets a run with this team. Unlike Edwards Pennington has won in the NFL on two teams and in multiple seasons with the Jets

Keep in mind if we go QB round 1 then our O-line is going to be a mess and Pennington can be the guy to take the hits and let the rookie learn. When was the last time the Bills had a QB that had 2 division titles and 4 playoff appearances and two playoff victories (Also took the Jets to within a missed field goal of a AFC title game)? Also unlike Bledsoe we didn't have to give up a draft choice to get him and the guy has a chip on his shoulder.

Noodle arm Pennington when healthy is a winning QB (took the Fins to the Division title just last season) and knows this division well. Not going to deny he has limitations BUT as a one or two year stop gap situation he is perfect for Buffalo use the top 2 picks to get these lines in order while Pennington gets a run with this team. Unlike Edwards Pennington has won in the NFL on two teams and in multiple seasons with the Jets

Keep in mind if we go QB round 1 then our O-line is going to be a mess and Pennington can be the guy to take the hits and let the rookie learn. When was the last time the Bills had a QB that had 2 division titles and 4 playoff appearances and two playoff victories (Also took the Jets to within a missed field goal of a AFC title game)? Also unlike Bledsoe we didn't have to give up a draft choice to get him and the guy has a chip on his shoulder.

When has he been healthy recently?

Played all 16 games plus a playoff game in 2008 with the Dolphins. He also knows how to come back form an injury.

Ok, but he is now coming off a 2nd major shoulder surgery. We all complained because Edwards did not throw deep and now some want Pennington who rarely throws 15 yards downfield?

What's killing me is the fact that people want to draft Tim Tebow but doesn't want to bring in Michael Vick. What's the difference between Vick and Tebow except that one is a "choir boy" and the other has been to jail?

Your idea isn't bad, just the guy you pick. I think Pennington's days are pretty much over, too. He'll get a chance with someone, but I doubt many people think of him as anything more than a backup. I honestly can't think of a good journeyman veteran that has had success that would help here.

What I'd rather see is the (hopefully brand new) front office start with the draft - someone like Tony Pike or Jake Locker - and build the team from there.

Thats why we will go with M. Vick, not a noddle arm with what you call"Limitations" .

So you are 100% sure that if we take a QB with our #1 pick, our O Line will be a mess? What about all of our other picks and free agency? What about the development of the other linemen already on the roster? Are you saying that by selecting an O lineman in Rd1, all our line problems are solved? People need to remember that anybody drafted in the 2010 draft is very unlikely to offer much help in 2010 regardless of what position is drafted. Take the best available player at your given draft slot and address immediate needs via trades and Free agency. I wish everyone one this board would stop putting so much emphasis on the draft with the "We have to get this guy, he will immediate be a dominant force that make us a Superbowl winner for decades" or "If we take take guy (or position) we are doomed". The draft is a crapshoot at best With the current Bills Front office we may as well pick a person from this message board at random and let them make the picks, they would do just as well.

So you are 100% sure that if we take a QB with our #1 pick, our O Line will be a mess? What about all of our other picks and free agency? What about the development of the other linemen already on the roster? Are you saying that by selecting an O lineman in Rd1, all our line problems are solved? People need to remember that anybody drafted in the 2010 draft is very unlikely to offer much help in 2010 regardless of what position is drafted. Take the best available player at your given draft slot and address immediate needs via trades and Free agency. I wish everyone one this board would stop putting so much emphasis on the draft with the "We have to get this guy, he will immediate be a dominant force that make us a Superbowl winner for decades" or "If we take take guy (or position) we are doomed". The draft is a crapshoot at best With the current Bills Front office we may as well pick a person from this message board at random and let them make the picks, they would do just as well.

Well LT's don't come in round 2 so our biggest need along the O-line (Hangartner, Levitre, and Butler are solid and if Wood comes back he is going to be a solid player) is going to require our 1st round pick to address. So even if we go RT or Guard round 2 LT (The most important position on the O-line) is going to be a mess. So if we go QB round 1 we will still have serious issues with our O-line (Maybe a mess is a little hyperbolic).

To me grabbing a LT round one and putting Pennington behind an O-line that has a good top pick LT and both Wood (Hopefully) and Butler coming back from injury makes the better sense (Philosophically if there isn't a top LT available you go with another position) when building a team for Buffalo getting the lines in order is a better philosophical move then putting a QB behind a compromised offensive line (In either scenario Pennington makes sense)

Drafting a LT round one doesn't solve all of our issues HOWEVER it solves our biggest issue at the most important position. To me if we take care of the LT position then we have the left side of the line in place and with the possibility of Butler and Wood taking care of the right side as well. I understand that its not a quick fix BUT its a much better situation.

^^^^^^^

This !!

Taking the best player availale is drafting 101. Drafting for need is dumb and will cause losing and getting the GM fired. Mike Holmgren was GM of Seattle and in his 3 #1 picks, he picked some guy I never heard of and Koren Robinson and Jeremy Stevens to fill need. See where that got him. Got him fired as GM and rightfully so.

I also agree that if we take a QB at #1 and put him the starting lineup odds are like 80-20 he's gonna suck and we're gonna suck. I say we hit the FA market heavy on need like both lines and QB. Maybe an LB too if we can get a good one.