Remember When Aiken Stunk as a WR?

I think you people are giving Aiken a lot more credit than he deserves.

True he's made plays with the Patriots, but I doubt he'll be going to the Hall of Fame anytime soon.

Aiken is so great it only took Belichick 4 games this season to get him the football. The 8 catches he had last season must have been a real eye opener.

Aiken sucked as a receiver when he was here. He was decent at getting open and horrible at actually catching the football. That was the reason he never stayed on the field.

"Remember When Aiken Stunk as a WR?"

No I don't actually. I always remember him being awesome and playing well. I also remember moron Bills coaches never seeing the talent that Aiken had and giving him a starting spot. That guy played great at every chance he got, and I always thought he should have been starting for us instead of Josh Reed.

I agree with this and never recall Aiken getting a fair shake at receiver for the Bills. He was strictly a special teams player and an exceptionally good gunner. IMO, he was never given the opportunity as a positional player.

Another player the Patriots have gotten several good years of service from is Sammy Morris.

Ask yourself this, would you rather have Sam Aiken or Justin Jenkins?

Ask yourself this, would you rather have Sam Aiken or Justin Jenkins?

Let me think a minute...who would I rather have as the fifth WR on the depth chart, Aiken or Jenkins? Hmmm, that's a tough one...decisions, decisions...

I think, given a choice, I'd pick: <_< Fifth on the depth chart, without a QB that's any good. That's seriously into "who gives a ****" territory.

I was thinking about starting this thread when i seen that play, just another player that the bills wouldnt play that wast good enough to go to 7-9. although that would be hard to get to this year.

It seems Fewell is willing to give players a shot I still would like to see Hardy get plugged in for a seaqson and if we don't win next week Brohm as well as Nelson. Josh Reed is reliable but not explosive. We also have a few other players who could use the experienc to show what they have before our roster is purged.

When Tom Brady is your QB you automatically become a better WR. When JP Losman is your QB you automatically become a worse one....so much depends on the QB. Look at Randy Moss and look at Wes Welker....both flourished with Tom Brady.

Let me think a minute...who would I rather have as the fifth WR on the depth chart, Aiken or Jenkins? Hmmm, that's a tough one...decisions, decisions...

I think, given a choice, I'd pick: <_< Fifth on the depth chart, without a QB that's any good. That's seriously into "who gives a ****" territory.

Alright, Sammy Morris or Xavier Omon?

My point is this: Good, solid organizations identify veteran players who are dependable and professional and keep these players. Teams like the Bills try to save $200,000 by paying for rookies instead of paying the veteran minimum for a better, more proven player.

It's about roster building and trying not to be victimized every time the team has an injury.

How many solid, veteran reserves are on the Bills roster? Let's see...Ryan Denney...and whichever 2 safeties are not in the starting lineup. Three solid veteran reserves on the whole team. Shoestring budget, shoestring roster.

Rebuilding does not begin with DB's, WR's, RB's, and LB's. Yet Buffalo spent too many picks from the 06-08 drafts on those positions. Their only 1st-3rd round picks on lineman were guys who don't dress anymore or rarely play. And then they traded their best OLineman for rookies.

Parcells, Belichick, the Giants, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and successful teams build from the inside out. Buffalo's reliance on the opposite is what makes them mediocre.

Aiken also looks good because he's got an excellent QB who's protected well throwing him the ball. Buffalo hasn't had that since the mid nineties.

LBs are almost as important as DLs, but basically, I agree with you. You rebuild by getting your QB and getting your lines in order. After that, if your systems are in good order (and ours aren't, IMHO, but should be OK if we get Shanahan/Cowher/Schottenheimer/Martz/etc. in here along with a top-level GM) your team will play solid.

I think the Bills mindset was to build the line through free agency, hence the signing of Walker and Dockery. Obviously it didn't work out, which set their plans back. The successful teams build both lines through the draft, then use free agency to solidify or plug holes. Above all else, there has to be a good program in place to build those lines, with a combination of good talent evaluation and coaching. Modrak and Guy have not made good choices with talent, and the coaching has been mediocre. We've seen the result.

Don't blame Modrak. All he can do is make recommendations. Other people were making the decisions. Again, Ralph said that Modrak wanted Cutler over Whitner. Strangely, we didn't draft Cutler. You can't blame Modrak for decisions he's not making.

Its true...when was the last time a Patriot player left and did even half as good as when he was with the Pats...when you have lots of good players in a good great system, marginal players suddenly look a lot better than they really are...see Branch, Deion

Richard Seymour. He's playing just as well with the Raiders, and the Pats* d-line has taken a major hit. Saying that, your point is right on. Most ex-Pats* don't play as well.

In fact, the fact that Seymour has done so well with the Raiders is a good sign that the Pats* system is stretched beyond it's own limits, and that the Pats* may be falling back to earth.

When Tom Brady is your QB you automatically become a better WR. When JP Losman is your QB you automatically become a worse one....so much depends on the QB. Look at Randy Moss and look at Wes Welker....both flourished with Tom Brady.

The 2006 JP Losman made his recievers look very good indeed, better than they have looked since. The 2007 and particularly the 2008 Losman were not impressive, but that's because they changed the offensive scheme out from under the guy.

Gotta agree about Brady, though. Makes everyone look great, you have only to look at Branch and Troy Brown.

Reading the Pats* message boards yesterday I couldn't believe how high some of the fans* there were on Aiken - one even made a comment on how Moss needs to be more like Aiken <_<:ph34r:

"Remember When Aiken Stunk as a WR?"

No I don't actually. I always remember him being awesome and playing well. I also remember moron Bills coaches never seeing the talent that Aiken had and giving him a starting spot. That guy played great at every chance he got, and I always thought he should have been starting for us instead of Josh Reed.

Bingo