Trent Edwards should be starting

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Who in the national media thought he had MVP potential last season?

I want to see some sort of proof that someone other then Bills fans thought that

We have seen 30 games from Edwards, the Bills know what they have, a guy who has taken a few shots to the head, has no confidence/ability to throw the ball deep down field, and can only excel if he can check down every play. What do they have in Fitzpatrick? Not much more except that he can toss the ball down field better and makes the "prima Donna" TO happy

If theres onw guy who should be starting, its Brohm, lets atleast see what he can do

proof 6:45 in. But just because it was all over ESPN at the time, not just PTI, doesn't mean they were right.

Fitz has showed us that if you just throw it to the receivers they can make a play (when they want to). I think throwing those interceptions in the Cleveland game affected Trent more than the concussion did in the Arizona game. He is the better QB when he throws the ball, he just chooses not to.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to see if he has anything to offer the Bills.

Trent Edwards has looked good at times, but has had the most inexperienced offensive line in the league, and one of the most injured, a change of offensive coordinators right before the season began, and poor coaching throughout his tenure here.

Before we toss him aside, yet another quarterback, we need to see if he has anything.

Some hall of fame quarterbacks, who didn't get their legs completely under them for several years, would have been disgarded if the mentality of some on this board had prevailed.

I agree with your points. The Chargers were ready to move on past Brees after he struggled for 3 seasons when they drafted Rivers. The next season, Brees had a breakout year. But, with T.O. running the team, Fitz will remain the starter.

If the line can keep him upright, he cant be much worse than Fitzpatrick, plus you know he's pissed off, AND fully recovered from the concussion.

Fitz is always gonna be Fitz.

Im thinkin hes gotten the point about needing to close his eyes and heaving a few downfield. That mentality is the only thing that Fitz and JP had on him....the willingness to say f*** it.

Not "just DO it"......."f*** it, heave it"

You dont know if he is fully recovered from his head issues.... You ask me, And I dont think he is the same guy from Arizona, Plus we know he has had 2 concussions.... How may others in HS and college.

Plus, Fitz can scramble, Edwards doesnt,... with the line be so poor, you want a guy that can run.

proof 6:45 in. But just because it was all over ESPN at the time, not just PTI, doesn't mean they were right.

Fitz has showed us that if you just throw it to the receivers they can make a play (when they want to). I think throwing those interceptions in the Cleveland game affected Trent more than the concussion did in the Arizona game. He is the better QB when he throws the ball, he just chooses not to.

I think you're absolutely right, and that's why I think it's a far worse situation than those who believe it's about the concussions do. I also think that Jauron completely ruined any chance Edwards had to overcome that performance when he took the game out of his hands at the end. Edwards actually made a good 20-yard throw to Royal to get within (long) field goal range when Jauron decided that was good enough and clamped down on the offense. For a mentally shaky young player, I think that was incredibly damaging, and we saw Edwards take on more and more traits of his coach, to the point that risk-aversion crippled his game. Can it be overcome? I really doubt it, at this point.

The delusional comparisons of Trent to Drew Brees need to stop. Brees was a WINNER in college, Trent was not. Brees has good natural mechanics and excellent footwork, Trent does not. Brees is a warrior who was committed to getting better from the word "go", Trent doesn't even work out at the facility in the offseason like talking about. Even in the beginning Brees went through ALL of his progressions, Trent does not. With Trent it's primary receiver then checkdown, everytime. Brees has never been an injury prone player, we've seen Trent first hand. About the only reasonable comparison you can have between the two is that Brees suffered through some rough pass protecting OL's in the beginning which Trent has as well. Other than that, there is no reasonable comparison.

You forgot arm strength and ability to hit a receiver in stride...But excellent post.

Trent is taller and heavier though.

Trent Edwards has looked good at times, but has had the most inexperienced offensive line in the league, and one of the most injured, a change of offensive coordinators right before the season began, and poor coaching throughout his tenure here.

Before we toss him aside, yet another quarterback, we need to see if he has anything.

Some hall of fame quarterbacks, who didn't get their legs completely under them for several years, would have been disgarded if the mentality of some on this board had prevailed.

Really? we had 3 years of that guy not doing much of anything. How much more of a tryout does he need? Spoiler alert: He'll get sacked 20 times and make 70% of his 3 yd passes. Dude is done with the Bills, he just doesn't have it.

Guest dog14787
It is pointless playing behind the horrid O line the Bills have, this season is a wash. Let Fitz take the pounding now and let Edwards recover from the beatings he took eariler in the season. Not to mention we don't know if he is fully recovered from the concussion he suffered this year.

My thoughts also, it makes no sense to throw TE out there behind our horrible O-line and Fitz has better wheels.

I still believe, Kelly be damned (can't believe I said that), that Edwards has the tools to succeed.

The problem is, that I believe that he needs time to learn and grow under the tutelage of someone who knows what they are doing.

He was thrown into the fire against a-then Super Bowl team in the Patriots, and was able to showcase his accuracy and completion percentage. He also displayed his penchant for not turning the ball over- something that plagued both his predecessor (Losman) and he who came pre- Losman (Bledsoe). He plays (and has played) on a team that does not have an offensive line. He is still learning.

He is best in a high precision attack; something West Coast offense-esque.

I don't believe that the late Walsh and Levy were wrong about him.

Look at all of the Losman lovers, coming out of the woodwork now because the Colts gave him a try-out. For his sake, I hope that he does well. But if he does, there will be something extremely bittersweet about it all.

The Colts, for their undefeated record, have not only a world-beating QB, but also have an OFFENSIVE LINE!

If he succeeds, I will be happy for him, but extremely sad for the Bills.

I do not want to repeat the same thing with Edwards. I say, relegate Edwards to the bench either as a #2 or a #3. When the regime change occurs this offseason (hopefully firing Modrak and Guy and obtaining a real football GM), then someone will also hopefully be brought in to develop Brohm AND Edwards. Perhaps an offensive line can begin to be built. A veteran QB maybe signed or traded for that can establish some credibility until the next Kelly is found.

I am not saying Edwards WILL be something, but I DO believe that he has been thrown into the fire with little schooling and protection to truly allow him to develop.

Trent is done. After teams have studied him they realize he will not throw into coverage and will consistently check down. He is a career back up in this league. He is not Brees and is nowhere near Brees. Brees was 11-4 his third full season for the Chargers as in '01 he played one game.

Trent is the only QB to have lost to the Browns in the past 20 games. The Browns are 2-18 in their last 20 games and TE was absolutely horrendous in both those games and the major reason those games were lost. If he cannot compete against the worst team in the leage the past two years he cannot compete against the rest. Time to move on unless we keep him around as a third QB next year.

Great point. People can bandy about any stat they want, but it all comes down to Trent not being able to win. Ever.

Trent will be back in before the season ends because Fitz is going to be hospitalized behind this line. In his first appearance he will look OK because his head will be cleared from the concussions.

Then Trent too will be hospitalized behind this line.

Thank you. When a team is signing street free agents who haven't played in over a year to start in less than a week, there are going to be

"issues" with the run blocking and the pass protection. Particularly against blitzing. I can't recall another team that's had this many changes to their O-line during the course of a single year. Whomever they put at QB isn't going to make a difference, and whomever is hired as GM or coach won't make a difference either, unless they make stabilizing the O-Line a top priority.

Guest dog14787
Great point. People can bandy about any stat they want, but it all comes down to Trent not being able to win. Ever.

Lets just forget this Buffalo Bills Football team is not able to win, Ever, at least over the last decade. Or shall we blame all that on TE also, you TE bashers sound pathetic when you sit there and run another QB into the ground despite having a million other things wrong with this Buffalo Bills Football team, some of them having a direct reflection on how a QB performs.

One track minds . :thumbsup:

Thank you. When a team is signing stree free agents who haven't played in over a year to start in less than a week, there are going to b

"issues" with the run blocking and the pass protection. Particularly against blitzing. I can't recall another team that's had this many changes to their O-line during the course of a single year. Whomever they put at QB isn't going to make a difference, and whomever is hired as GM or coach won't make a difference either, unless they make stabilizing the O-Line a top priority.

No....thank you. Slowly, more and more Bills fans are getting a clear picture of what is, and has been wrong with this team and organization.

It saddens me that Marty seems to have no interest in coming to Buffalo. He would focus on fundamentals and improve the team instantly. When the Giants won the superbowl, they were really not so exciting. They had a stout, aggressive defense along with a bruising running game. This is what the Bills have lacked for quite some time.

This season is merely a case of the Levy/Jauron chickens coming home to roost. I believe that this franchise has a chance to be good, but not this year. And not until someone reminds them that football is a tough, physical sport which is won and lost by big, mean people.

No....thank you. Slowly, more and more Bills fans are getting a clear picture of what is, and has been wrong with this team and organization.

It saddens me that Marty seems to have no interest in coming to Buffalo. He would focus on fundamentals and improve the team instantly. When the Giants won the superbowl, they were really not so exciting. They had a stout, aggressive defense along with a bruising running game. This is what the Bills have lacked for quite some time.

This season is merely a case of the Levy/Jauron chickens coming home to roost. I believe that this franchise has a chance to be good, but not this year. And not until someone reminds them that football is a tough, physical sport which is won and lost by big, mean people.

Unless they get EXTREMELY lucky, it'll be at best another 3 years. The D and loser Tampa-2 scheme has to be completely trashed, not too many players will remain. OL still blows, and there is still no QB. Damn shame the last overhaul in 2006 was so horribly bungled, what a mess. :thumbsup:

Lets just forget this Buffalo Bills Football team is not able to win, Ever, at least over the last decade. Or shall we blame all that on TE also, you TE bashers sound pathetic when you sit there and run another QB into the ground despite having a million other things wrong with this Buffalo Bills Football team, some of them having a direct reflection on how a QB performs.

One track minds . :thumbsup:

And a lot of the problems were with Trent--he simply was not good enough. Say what you want about Fitz, but he does try to make things happen. For whatever reason (DJ messing with his head, concussions, overall bland attitude) this season Trent has been unwilling to make huge plays.

A lot of his problems may stem directly from DJs interference, who knows? But when the team is this bad having a conservative quarterback makes them infinitely worse

Guest dog14787
No effin' way. Last thing we need is a QB with no balls trying to run this team. First sign of trouble he will crumble and just dump things off. While Fitz is no great wonder, I'll take my chances with him any day.

Ryan Fitpatrick needs to finish out the season so we can see if some continuity helps improve the offense. Musical chairs at the QB position would accomplish nothing in my opinion.

Draft a QB in the next draft and start the rebuilding process...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...eek4/index.html

Here's a link to Peter King's article last season where he named Trent Edwards MVP of the 1st quarter of the season.

While obviously things have gone south since then, I still think that Edwards deserves more of a chance. Like other people have said - Fitz is what he is. He is not the future of the Bills. Is Edwards? I don't know, but we really should get more of a look. It will help the team dictate off season decisions. Putting Fitz out there helps nothing. Some of these QB's (Brees, E. Manning) just wake up suddenly and start playing well - maybe that could happen to Trent.

Hell NO...Brian Brohm should be given a chance then if he sucks bring in the next one till they get it right...

Absolutely agree. There is no harm in putting him in the rest of the season. I would love to see the Bills give him another chance to finish out the regular season as our starter.

Unless they get EXTREMELY lucky, it'll be at best another 3 years. The D and loser Tampa-2 scheme has to be completely trashed, not too many players will remain. OL still blows, and there is still no QB. Damn shame the last overhaul in 2006 was so horribly bungled, what a mess. :thumbsup:

Amazing how people on a message board could see it coming. Then, they followed it up with even more of the same stupidity. It's mind numbing and even hard to believe.