Just Lose Baby!!!

We need to continue losing as we need to get some real players in here. Winning just makes getting better that much more difficult, assuming that we bring in some talent evaluators who actually know what they are doing. As a Bills fanatic who now roots for them to lose with no emotion, this is really hard to take. We need to start to turn this around. Hopefully, we can contend for a playoff spot in 2012, but it will take 3 years (if we are lucky) to be competitive with all of the holes this sad sack team has right now.

Sorry, Just stating reality....

We need to continue losing as we need to get some real players in here. Winning just makes getting better that much more difficult, assuming that we bring in some talent evaluators who actually know what they are doing. As a Bills fanatic who now roots for them to lose with no emotion, this is really hard to take. We need to start to turn this around. Hopefully, we can contend for a playoff spot in 2012, but it will take 3 years (if we are lucky) to be competitive with all of the holes this sad sack team has right now.

:sick:0:)

Sorry, Just stating reality for the millionth time on this board....

I agree! If the Bills still have the same bunch of incompetent scouts and talent evaluators around for this years draft, then what difference does it make? The Bills need a quality GM and talent evaluators. Then it doesn't matter where you pick in the draft, see the Steelers last 10 draft picks for example and they are not picking in the top 10 every year!

maybin had a tackle again though...two straight games! He is coming on and maybe will actually become a good player!

I am hoping Buffalo moves to a 3-4 defense next year and puts Maybin outside as a stand up rusher/LB. I really think he can be more effective in that position. Pretty much like they are using Orakpo in Washington. But everyone knew he was going to be a project from his limited playing time in college, so I really don't know why everyone is up in arms over his ineffectiveness in his first season. I am not defending the Bills drafting him, I would have preferred Orakpo. All I am saying is the drafted him as a project and projects do not yield immediate returns.

That IS the reality of the NFL. It makes no sense to finish 7-9 year after year. You never get to re-build with the really great players (not that our stunned bunch would know one if they had the chance).

The only caveat would be winning behind some young guy's sudden step-up, say like Hardy or Johnson going crazy and catching TD passes every game until season end, or Maybin, Harris or Byrd stepping up and making big plays.

Otherwise, watching Fitzgerald throw a winning TD to TO would put me to sleep.

So, it's kind of HOW they win or lose from here out.

I am hoping Buffalo moves to a 3-4 defense next year and puts Maybin outside as a stand up rusher/LB. I really think he can be more effective in that position. Pretty much like they are using Orakpo in Washington. But everyone knew he was going to be a project from his limited playing time in college, so I really don't know why everyone is up in arms over his ineffectiveness in his first season. I am not defending the Bills drafting him, I would have preferred Orakpo. All I am saying is the drafted him as a project and projects do not yield immediate returns.

Washington uses a 4-3 defense. :D And Orakpo slides down to play DE on obvious passing 3rd down situations.

I agree! If the Bills still have the same bunch of incompetent scouts and talent evaluators around for this years draft, then what difference does it make? The Bills need a quality GM and talent evaluators. Then it doesn't matter where you pick in the draft, see the Steelers last 10 draft picks for example and they are not picking in the top 10 every year!

I strongly disagree with the bolded statement. A while back, Bill Polian had the first overall pick in the draft. Instead of trading down, he stayed put and took Peyton Manning. Do you care to explain to him that it didn't matter where he drafted? :D

A few years later, Polian had the fourth overall pick in the draft. Mike Ditka wanted Ricky Williams, and offered Polan a king's ransom in exchange for trading down a few slots. Polian refused, stayed at fourth overall, and took Edgerrin James.

Or take the Patriots, which traded away two picks in the lower part of the first round to obtain just one top ten pick.

Draft position does matter!

Draft position does matter!

It does - if a Peyton Manning is on the board.

Perhaps a Palmer, but Palmer isn't good enough to win big games by force of his personality. I've watched his entire pro career - IMO, he's not especially bright, and since the cheapshot '05 knee injury, he tosses a high ball. Accurate, powerful, but often high. He is very dependent on timing plays - he brings the young receivers to his home to work out in the off-season.

Whenever you detect that Palmer is calling an audible, 9 times out of 10, it's a deep hand-off left. Which all defenses know. Splat.

He's done better this year, though. Usually, 2 minutes and down by a score, the play is a 30 yd+ fade along the right sideline, and an interception. I wow my wife by predicting such through the years. :D

It does - if a Peyton Manning is on the board.

Perhaps a Palmer, but Palmer isn't good enough to win big games by force of his personality. I've watched his entire pro career - IMO, he's not especially bright, and since the cheapshot '05 knee injury, he tosses a high ball. Accurate, powerful, but often high. He is very dependent on timing plays - he brings the young receivers to his home to work out in the off-season.

Whenever you detect that Palmer is calling an audible, 9 times out of 10, it's a deep hand-off left. Which all defenses know. Splat.

He's done better this year, though. Usually, 2 minutes and down by a score, the play is a 30 yd+ fade along the right sideline, and an interception. I wow my wife by predicting such through the years. :thumbsup:

I agree that Palmer is a step or two down from Manning. But that does not indicate that draft position seldom matters!

Look at the 2004 draft. Eli Manning went first overall, Philip Rivers fourth overall, and Ben Roethlisberger eleventh overall. After you got out of the top 15, who else was there, quarterback-wise, that year? Losman went 23rd overall, but it's not exactly as though he's had a Hall of Fame career.

More generally, how often do you see a top level quarterback who wasn't picked in the top 15 of the draft? Tom Brady was a sixth round pick, and Drew Brees was chosen very early in the second round. But guys like that are the exceptions. Normally if you want a Peyton Manning, an Eli Manning, a Philip Rivers, or a Matt Ryan, you're going to have to take him in the top 15; and very often in the top 5.

With all the people rooting for the Bills to lose, this might be the most retarded the board has ever been.

amen man! all these draft picks mean nothing when we have a dumb front office that screws the pooch year in and year out. here's to hoping they just play the game as well as they can and hope (check it, pray) the front office gets its **** together before spring.

amen man! all these draft picks mean nothing when we have a dumb front office that screws the pooch year in and year out. here's to hoping they just play the game as well as they can and hope (check it, pray) the front office gets its **** together before spring.

don't confuse the phony Bills fans with facts

stuff like:

Bad front offices can easily make bad picks with top draft choices

good front offices regularly make great picks with lower draft choices

once a person even starts to think about rooting against their own team, they start losing brain cells

stuff like:

once a person even starts to think about rooting against their own team, they start losing brain cells

Thank You, Philster. Until the Bills actually have a football department that is competent, it doesn't matter where they pick. Of course there are exceptions, like when the Bills sucked so bad they had the opportunity to draft a consensus can't miss prospect first overall like O.J. Simpson and Bruce Smith. But overall, it doesn't matter. Remember we also drafted Walt Patulski and Tom Cousineau first overall.

Here are the Pittsburgh Steelers picks since 1998. Out of 12 selections, all excellent players except maybe Kendall Simmons and Troy Edwards. Zero total busts. With the exception of two years, the Steelers have drafted after us.

1998 Alan Faneca

1999 Troy Edwards

2000 Plaxico Burress

2001 Casey Hampton

2002 Kendall Simmons

2003 Troy Polumalu

2004 Ben Roethlisberger

2005 Heath Miller

2006 Santonio Holmes

2007 Lawrence Timmons

2008 Rashard Mendenhall

2009 Evander Hood

During that same time period, the only Buffalo Bills first round picks to contribute significantly are Antoine Winfield and Nate Clements.

stuff like:

So you want a good front office. Which means (I assume) that you want a lot of the people currently working for the front office fired. Which scenario do you think maximizes the chances of those guys getting fired: a 4-12 record or an 8-8 record?

So you want a good front office. Which means (I assume) that you want a lot of the people currently working for the front office fired. Which scenario do you think maximizes the chances of those guys getting fired: a 4-12 record or an 8-8 record?

apparently you've been living in a cave the last month. Ralph is committed to making changes and Russ Brandon himself wants to bring in a football guy to run the personnel dept...whether we win out or lose out won't change that. Losing is never a positive thing...short term or long term. Once you start rooting against a team, you're no longer a fan

apparently you've been living in a cave the last month. Ralph is committed to making changes and Russ Brandon himself wants to bring in a football guy to run the personnel dept...whether we win out or lose out won't change that. Losing is never a positive thing...short term or long term. Once you start rooting against a team, you're no longer a fan

:applause: :applause: :applause: