LOST...Season 6

duey

Dude...the bottom line is that each person saw the show a little differently and as such has differing opinions about how it ended. I loved the show, appreciated the intricacy of the storylines, and am very satisfied with how it ended. You see things differently and that's fine. But I do feel it's a bit of a shame to be more focused on what you didn't get out of it rather than what you did.

The problem is that there was so little explained that every person saw it a LOT differently and thus any discussion of the zillion open items is just a waste of time because no one has a clue...most notably not even the writers.

Anyone can write a story with a million Dickensonian twists and turns. It takes a Charles Dickens to gather the strings into a satisfying ending.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im back quick with one "funny" thought...

for as great as Jack was, was he not the WORST protector of the light the Island ever had?!? Jacob protected it for 2500 years WITH a mythical being trying to kill him. Jack let it go out about 1 hour after he took the job...

i was cracking up at that last night.

im back quick with one "funny" thought...

for as great as Jack was, was he not the WORST protector of the light the Island ever had?!? Jacob protected it for 2500 years WITH a mythical being trying to kill him. Jack let it go out about 1 hour after he took the job...

i was cracking up at that last night.

LOL And he did exactly what Jacob told him not to do...let MIB into that cave.

Well, when Jack asked Jacob how long he would have to do this job, Jacob did say "As long as you have to." Clearly Jack's destiny was only to be a "temp" until Hurley took the job. :blush:

Well, when Jack asked Jacob how long he would have to do this job, Jacob did say "As long as you have to." Clearly Jack's destiny was only to be a "temp" until Hurley took the job. :blink:

and it was so great and fitting for Hurley to end up with it. loved it.

i wonder how long Hurley and Ben ran the Island? do i smell a spin off show?!? except in 30 minute Comedy format?!? :blush:

I believe that scene was the most intriguing of the night. Both Jack and Flocke wanted to extinguish the light, but for completely different reasons. Flocke wanted it out so he could leave the island and Jack wanted it out so Flocke would become mortal and could be killed. The look on Flocke's face when he saw blood after being hit by Jack was priceless.

Kate was outstanding in the black dress last night, but I have to give it up for Charlotte as well. She looked beautiful!

It took me a little bit to appreciate the ending. I really didn't like it at first, but looking back ,it was a good way to honor the characters and story. Normally I am not for a sappy ending, which is ironic in itself that an ending in which everyone is dead is considered happy, but this somehow worked. Everyone let go...

i wonder how long Hurley and Ben ran the Island? do i smell a spin off show?!? except in 30 minute Comedy format?!? :blink:

What a great buddy show concept! LOL I like all the calls for a buddy cop show with Miles and Sawyer. :angry:

You get the idea from their exchange and Christian's comment (about how some people died very long after Jack did) that Ben and Hurley did their thing for a very long time. As such, one would imagine that Hurley bestowed upon Ben the gift of youth as Jacob did for Richard. But oh wait...that's another unanswered question! Damn this show...damn it all to hell! :blush:

I believe that scene was the most intriguing of the night. Both Jack and Flocke wanted to extinguish the light, but for completely different reasons. Flocke wanted it out so he could leave the island and Jack wanted it out so Flocke would become mortal and could be killed. The look on Flocke's face when he saw blood after being hit by Jack was priceless.

Kate was outstanding in the black dress last night, but I have to give it up for Charlotte as well. She looked beautiful!

It took me a little bit to appreciate the ending. I really didn't like it at first, but looking back ,it was a good way to honor the characters and story. Normally I am not for a sappy ending, which is ironic in itself that an ending in which everyone is dead is considered happy, but this somehow worked. Everyone let go...

Good post. +1

And I had jumped off the Kate bandwagon a few years back, but I jumped back on Kate big time last night when I saw her in that black dress. :blush:

When asked by Hurley how he was going to take care of the island, Ben’s response of “Do what you always do. Help people” in a few words summed up Hurley’s character for the entire show. All he ever did was help and care about people. He never did a thing out of malice or selfishness. That is why it seems even more appropriate that he be the protector of the island rather than Jack.

Vincent coming out of the jungle and making it so Jack didn’t die alone was great…my wife really lost it at that point. I’ve read a few places that Vincent actually represented God as he was with many people at the times of their deaths. I don’t know about that…I can’t remember and I also doubt something so significant would be made to appear so random.

I loved Rose telling Des that basically, “After you finish breakfast you have to get the f&%! out because all you and your people do if f%$! things up. Then sure enough, here comes trouble times two! LOL

I've already read a few headlines by where the episode was called “disappointing” or a “let down.” Rubbish. I think too many people are too used to neat and tidy endings like in the movies. This was an epic show, with more storylines and plot twists then any show in history. Did everything get tied up with a bow and handed to the viewer with all questions answered…of course not. But a viewer who has accepted the show as the uniquely told tale that it is will likely look at the finale as something that brought closure to the heart of story…and will of course give us all something to chew on for months and years to come.

That’s it for now…lot’s more discussion to come!

That describes Hurley to a T. Jack was on the island to fix Jacob... to perform a little surgery, remove the cancer, and then get out. It was a nice touch that he is what connects Jacob to Hurley. Hurley has been such a positive character all along. It's right that it was him. Still, it's a little sad that he's taken away from his mom and dad. But he left them well, and when you look at it in that regard, it's kind of a coming-of-age story for Hurley. And then, too, it's like the island needs someone who is pure of heart, maybe a little simple-minded and innocent. And yet, Hurley has learned enough, lost enough naivete from this time to make his own rules for the Island.

As I've written before, the way this show used Vincent was superb. I can totally dig on the word-flip dog=god, or at least 'the good reaper' of sorts.

The scene with Rose and Bernard was a great conclusion to their story. When FLocke made the threat to Desmond that he would kill them, and further that he would make it hurt.... Sayid and Sun & Jin were losses, sure I wanted MIB dead as payback, but the 'make it hurt' part --- that's the first point where I really wanted the same for him. They got to live the rest of their days doing exactly what they wanted to do. They were not Adam and Eve. They were better than that.

If people were "let down" by this show, then it's their own damn fault. You get out of it what you put into it. I will re-iterate that LOST is like an Impressionist paint, as far as some of the mysteries/properties of the island. If you're looking for a pixel-rich JPEG, you're not going to get it. Perfect clarity is not what our limited understanding of life, the earth, and beyond earth affords us.

Before I forget, duey, I would just like to thank you again and to all of the other frequent posters to these threads over the years who've put in your observations, theories, etc. Some don't seem to have stuck with the show, and hey, it's a free country, but I think the payoff of following this show has been worth it and then some. It was really life-affirming at a time when I have needed some affirming in this area. Like I said, I took my dog's (and some close relatives') death really hard. And there've been times when I've said to myself that when LOST is over I may be ready to check out. I haven't been in that frame of mind for a while; I am better, I feel better even tho certain aspects that drove it are still there, mostly with the employment situation. But I'm glad to see this show end the way it did... with love and affirmation. A professor of mine once said that pretty much all of fiction can be reduced to "The Search for Family." That's right, and here were a group of characters who found a family even when their own biological family situations left a lot to be desired. In a way, a number of us now have a connection. This is what makes TBD such a great place. SDS is like our Jacob/Hurley.

Let's just stick with one thread of questions and answers to keep it simple.

So if the Dharma and Others were part of Jacob's plan, who's Jacob? And what is his plan. And what is the Island vs. what is Sideways? Is the Island real in our universe or some after-life? Were Dharma people from here or afterlife? And if from here, how did they interact with dead Oceanic 815 people?

Not attacking but guessing anything you post will be speculation. And that's just one of the gigantic plotholes left open.

I would like to be able to look back and see things in previous seasons and say, "Aha, that's why taht strange plot twist now makes sense." But really, you can't do that much.

Why was the Island on the bottom of the ocean?! Come on man: There were a lot of friggin' HUGE things completely unexplained.

The submerged Island seems to have happened during/at the end of Hurley's reign. He was on the flight and it's made pretty clear that he's one of the ones who died "long after" Jack did.

To quote Frasier Crane, and one of his big epiphanies, "I'm sorry, caller. I can't help you."

You need to fill some of those potholes yourself. They won't magically be filled for you. But the more I read of your posts, the more I'm realizing that even when someone does try to fill the potholes, you run over them with a big Mack truck and blow them open again. There are some things you need to let go. How didn't you get this message from the show?

....among the profound 'quotes' and/or scenes last night, at least for me:

(a) Eloise when asking (very protectively) Desmond if he is here to take her son and he replies "Yes, but not with me....." - that was an amazing interchange that revealed a lot and helped me resolve a lot about the show. Great.

(e) I think the scene with the aircraft wreckage, after the light, was not really part of the show.....I think it was a panning shot from the 'show' to 'us' - with no link to the storyline........a powerful 'nod' to the imaginations of all for us to ruminate over in perpetuity - for us to make our own story.

...that is all for now.....whew

It was an Eloise Hawking character who didn't want to lose her son. At the end of her natural life, whenever that was, she was still trying to arrange everything, trying to hold on to Daniel and not taking to task her own advice to Desmond outside the jewelry store that the universe does what it does and you can't change things appreciably. She couldn't "let go" and so it seems she remains/ed in the purgatory of the sideways world. I didn't see, I'll have to see it again, but did Dan go in the church? There was a point where I thought EH thought that Desmond was the MIB... drawing on her "this is a violation of the rules" quote.

Yeah, having thought about it, that final shot seems to be that.

The submerged Island seems to have happened during/at the end of Hurley's reign. He was on the flight and it's made pretty clear that he's one of the ones who died "long after" Jack did.

from what i can put together, there was no submerged Island. just like there was no David. that was all part of their purgatory illusion that their souls created so they could find each other and move on together.

i assume that Hurley was able to find someone else to pass the Island too, and they are currently protecting it. if they werent, id imagine there would be no light and after life for them to go to.

i wonder how long Hurley and Ben ran the Island? do i smell a spin off show?!? except in 30 minute Comedy format?!? :blush:

Michael Emerson said on Kimmel last night that at a lot of times, it was like he was the only one for which this show was a comedy.

And, when asked how many time he got the sh-- kick out of him, he said, "How many episodes was I in?... Double that."

Also, it's interesting that Ben didn't go in the church for the reasons given already, that it would be kind of awkward, given all the things he did (but they were the things he had to do).

I would also add that, tho he seems to know what's inside the church, it may be that he wants more time with Danielle and Alex.

there was no submerged Island. just like there was no David. that was all part of their purgatory illusion that their souls created so they could find each other and move on together.

i assume that Hurley was able to find someone else to pass the Island too, and they are currently protecting it. if they werent, id imagine there would be no light and after life for them to go to.

Oooo. That's a valid. That's a valid point!

I both liked the finale a lot, and had serious problems with it. I'm a little more literal than most, and have great problems in storytelling that doesn't make logical sense. Clearly, however, this was a fabulous show and one of the best ever made.

For me, the show's conceit made most anything possible to happen on the island, and that was and is cool with me. That's the world they set up and it was consistent. But when they take you back to the "real world", things IMO have to be able to be possible in the real world, even if it is a parallel universe. And the sideways world, as they created it, didn't work for me logically. It seemed that they used the "real world" as their locale. Maybe I missed things but everything that seemed to happen in the sideways world was "possible", even if the coincidences were huge. Meaning there were no smoke monsters or time travel or anything else that is out of the scientific world.

But everyone going to the concert in the sideways "real" world, and Clare having the baby, took it out of that world, and out of logic for me. Because of real world time. In order for that to have happened, either everyone died in the crash, OR it had to be a short time after the original flight. I know this is supposed to be some sort of "purgatory" or whatever, but all of them coming to that place at that time to get to the church, couldn't have happened that way, even if you believe in the afterlife. It didn't make sense. Although again, maybe I missed something.

I would also add that, tho he seems to know what's inside the church, it may be that he wants more time with Danielle and Alex.

That's an excellent opinion. I was thinking that maybe he wasn't accepting the fact that he's dead yet, but I can completely see your point and it makes much more sense.... :blush:

from what i can put together, there was no submerged Island. just like there was no David. that was all part of their purgatory illusion that their souls created so they could find each other and move on together.

I agree. :blush:

But everyone going to the concert in the sideways "real" world, and Clare having the baby, took it out of that world, and out of logic for me. Because of real world time. In order for that to have happened, either everyone died in the crash, OR it had to be a short time after the original flight. I know this is supposed to be some sort of "purgatory" or whatever, but all of them coming to that place at that time to get to the church, couldn't have happened that way, even if you believe in the afterlife. It didn't make sense. Although again, maybe I missed something.

what you are missing is probably the hardest piece of the puzzle for the human mind to comprehend, so forgive me if i cant explain it that well. basically, there is no "where" they were in the sideways world, and there is no "when". the two stories (main time line and sideways) are not occurring at the same time. if you want to try to define it's chronological occurrence, it would probably be thousands of years from now. but since time is relative, it's just a few days for Jack within the sideways world.

the sideways world is a purgatory illusion created by the LOSTIES so they could all find each other and move on together. some were already dead when we started viewing it. some died while we were viewing it. others died much later after the finale (kate, sawyer, hurley, etc).

so they are all dead eventually. and now they were able to find each other and (thanks to Desmond) remember why they were all there together. so their souls could move on together.

just like how an entire life time of time can occurr in an instant for someone else. the rules of real world time do not apply.

Also, it's interesting that Ben didn't go in the church for the reasons given already, that it would be kind of awkward, given all the things he did (but they were the things he had to do).

this is EXACTLY how i took it. he now has his chance to enjoy them, and someday he will help them "wake up and remember" and they will all move on together.

Before I forget, duey, I would just like to thank you again and to all of the other frequent posters to these threads over the years who've put in your observations, theories, etc. Some don't seem to have stuck with the show, and hey, it's a free country, but I think the payoff of following this show has been worth it and then some. It was really life-affirming at a time when I have needed some affirming in this area. Like I said, I took my dog's (and some close relatives') death really hard. And there've been times when I've said to myself that when LOST is over I may be ready to check out. I haven't been in that frame of mind for a while; I am better, I feel better even tho certain aspects that drove it are still there, mostly with the employment situation. But I'm glad to see this show end the way it did... with love and affirmation. A professor of mine once said that pretty much all of fiction can be reduced to "The Search for Family." That's right, and here were a group of characters who found a family even when their own biological family situations left a lot to be desired. In a way, a number of us now have a connection. This is what makes TBD such a great place. SDS is like our Jacob/Hurley.

It's all good brutha...thank you. It's been such a great ride. So many times I come to TSW and pass over the main board to come here...hoping that someone has added to this discussion. Hang in there and you know you can always find one or more of us lurking about and more than willing to talk. :blush:

I both liked the finale a lot, and had serious problems with it. I'm a little more literal than most, and have great problems in storytelling that doesn't make logical sense. Clearly, however, this was a fabulous show and one of the best ever made.

For me, the show's conceit made most anything possible to happen on the island, and that was and is cool with me. That's the world they set up and it was consistent. But when they take you back to the "real world", things IMO have to be able to be possible in the real world, even if it is a parallel universe. And the sideways world, as they created it, didn't work for me logically. It seemed that they used the "real world" as their locale. Maybe I missed things but everything that seemed to happen in the sideways world was "possible", even if the coincidences were huge. Meaning there were no smoke monsters or time travel or anything else that is out of the scientific world.

That's getting too involved in the timeline.

As Christian said, there is no such thing Time in the sideways world/inside the church. It's kind of like, the end of time, or at least a point where the last of the castaways were dead (and, as Christian said, some of them died "long after" Jack). Throw out the concept of plausibility in the sideways world. From the start with the arrivals board that read something like Oceanic 815 was in a state of flux, there've been clues. That title itself had a particular meaning... Is this LA? and X = 'Wrong.'

The sideways was a transition place/purgatory that had all the trappings of the real world, and it seemed to be and continues to be for those who don't/choose not to "let go." It doesn't have to have an air of reality, b/c it's not reality.

It's all good brutha...thank you. It's been such a great ride. So many times I come to TSW and pass over the main board to come here...hoping that someone has added to this discussion. Hang in there and you know you can always find one or more of us lurking about and more than willing to talk. :blush:

indeed! given the state of the team, and the state of the board in the offseason, this thread has often been the only reason to come back to the board everyday (or multiple times a day). when i see the LOST thread at the top of the page with new postings, i get excited immediately. glad they left us with a lot to talk about still. :blink: