Time Warner-NFL Network Bills-Jets Game

cuse

The fact that the NFL gets a special anti-trust exemption and millions of taxpayer dollars in the form of stadium subsidies moves it out of the 'pure business decision' mode.

Multiple lawmakers including Congressman Brian Higgins if I'm not mistaken, have made this same point. I think the NFL knows it's popular, and will not let anything interfere with becoming even larger. Everytime the anti-trust exemption comes up, they batten down the hatches and play nice with the federal government to ensure they keep their exemption.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's probably the first time ever i'm gonna be able to see a Bills game live here in France while it will not be available for my friends in WNY...

Maybe some of your friends, we're good here in Buffalo. Game will be on Channel 7...GO BILLS!!!

And I believe there is something in the contract that guarantees sell outs, so it there is no threat of a blackout...

Maybe some of your friends, we're good here in Buffalo. Game will be on Channel 7...GO BILLS!!!

And I believe there is something in the contract that guarantees sell outs, so it there is no threat of a blackout...

ah ok!! sorry!! reading the thread (but missing some page 1 posts!!) i thought the game would not be viewable in the Buffalo area! so in fact the main issue is for the Rochester/Cuse areas, isn't it?

Hmmmm....only numbers missing are #1 and #4. Must be only Comcast and Cox. :D

I say we should move ESPN to the sports tier and add NFL Network to standard. ESPN is a VERY expensive channel. ;)

Look, perhaps Cox lost its #3 ranking, but you're splitting hairs here. How about no sports tier and get rid of about 30 or so garbage channels that TW gives me. I don't want them, and neither do many other customers. Sports are popular, and nothing is more popular than the NFL. And don't use the excuse that rates will go up, they go up every freakin' year (sometimes twice in a year) anyway. It's about giving the customers what they want. We'll pay, just give us what we want, not schlock channels. NFLN wants to be on basic for ratings, I get that. It makes sense. A sports tier would hit many less viewers. B-)

The NFL is charging a premium for the NFL channel and expects Time Warner to offer it in the standard program lineup. That means that TW would have to raise rates for everyone, instead of offering it in a separate package just for those who want it and are willing to pay for it.

Quit drinking the TW kool aid. It's a bad argument. TW has no problem making me pay for tons of channels that I don't want and never watch.I have never seen TW hesitant to raise rates in the past. Why is NFLN any different? Forget about the NFL's antitrust status, because last time I checked, TW is a monopoly here as far as cable is concerned. A classic case of pot meet kettle. ;)

For what it's worth, I heard a co-worker of mine say that this game is supposed to be on in the Albany area, since we're considered a Jets market. WPIX in New York (the CW network) is carrying it, according to their web site...

WPIX

I believe the Albany CW affiliate is channel 15. I won't hold my breath, but I will be looking for it.

That's the !@#$ing NFL for you. This article explains the "logic". Seems Rochester is close enough to be blacked out when games don't sell out, but aren't allowed by the NFL to see the game in this case. !@#$ing blood sucking pieces of ****.

I just emailed channel 8 in Rochester and got a response back from the Programming Coordinator:

Channel 7 in Buffalo bought the rights to show the game tonight in Buffalo. They are considered a primary market by the NFL so they could do this. Rochester is considered a secondary market by the NFL and we were not allowed to bid on the rights to show tonight's game. So even though we'd love to air the game tonight, we can not.

That's the !@#$ing NFL for you. This article explains the "logic". Seems Rochester is close enough to be blacked out when games don't sell out, but aren't allowed by the NFL to see the game in this case. !@#$ing blood sucking pieces of ****.

I just emailed channel 8 in Rochester and got a response back from the Programming Coordinator:

WHAT A CROCK OF @#$@! Close enough to be blacked out in Rochester, but Not close enough to get the game!?!?

I'm calling T/W to cancel my cable!

I'm sure you all already know that the game will not be televised in the Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo markets by Time Warner. I called Time Warner last night and they informed me the NFL Network has exclusive rights to the game. This means it doesn't matter if you are in the primary or secondary market, & if you do not have a cable provider that has the NFL network you will not see this game. THIS SUCKS AND I DON'T KNOW WHO TO BLAME, THE NFL OR TIME WARNER!!!!!

Anyone who still has cable but has the ability to get Directv (i.e. you don't live in an apartment complex or building that won't allow to get a dish) is out of their frieking mind!! The minute I bought a house I dumped cable and got Directv and I'm never goig back to cable. All those commercials that cable and dish network run trying to dump on DTV are stupid, they're all just jealous.

WHAT A CROCK OF @#$@! Close enough to be blacked out in Rochester, but Not close enough to get the game!?!?

I'm calling T/W to cancel my cable!

The blackout policy is set by the NFL, not TW. Channel 8 would have broadcast the game (which would have been on TW cable) if the NFL had allowed them to pay money to do so.

Thank you!

This is what I put in the comment box:

"I am considering canceling all Time Warner services. My Road Runner has been slow, my box keeps having to be reset and there are many channels I am simply not interested in. Frankly it isn't worth the $130.00 a month that I am charged!"

For what it's worth, I heard a co-worker of mine say that this game is supposed to be on in the Albany area, since we're considered a Jets market. WPIX in New York (the CW network) is carrying it, according to their web site...

WPIX

I believe the Albany CW affiliate is channel 15. I won't hold my breath, but I will be looking for it.

Not on CW-15 according to the (TW supplied) listings as of this morning.

Thank you!

This is what I put in the comment box:

"I am considering canceling all Time Warner services. My Road Runner has been slow, my box keeps having to be reset and there are many channels I am simply not interested in. Frankly it isn't worth the $130.00 a month that I am charged!"

Here is what I put in the comments box:

The NFL has become nothing more than a bunch of greed mongers. I say screw them and their network and don't carry it at all.

Want to make Time Warner pay? Try this out http://nnycs.com. They offer services to all of New York State.

I know it's not TV but if you get away from their bundled plans and let them know why they are losing you as a customer in droves, they'll have local games on TV real quick. That service offers telephone and high speed internet for $49.95. Time Warner, in my opinion has gotten too big for their britches and I'd love to see a local company take business away from them.