Time Warner-NFL Network Bills-Jets Game

cuse

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but if they have the ticket they will also get NFL Network.

Yeah, dish and directTV can put it on a tier (or attach to the Sunday ticket), but TW has to put it on basic for the exposure. Someone 'splain that one to me please.

Gawd, the NFL FO has me defending TW now. Is there no end to their evil!!!! :P

It does not appear that the game will be shown on TW in Rochester based on the TW listings online.

Great thinking by the powers to be... move a game to Toronto. Choose a Thursday game that can't be seen in the local area. Maybe then Rochester people will choose to drive 5 hours on a work night to see the game. This will build team loyalty, especially when the product on the field is so outstanding.

I'm inclined to just skip this game and pretend it never happened. This game was definitely not set up with me in mind.

From what I understand, the genesis of the dispute was that Time Warner wanted to make it a pay per month channel and the NFL said absolutely not. It escalated from there. I blame Time Warner.

The NFL is charging a premium for the NFL channel and expects Time Warner to offer it in the standard program lineup. That means that TW would have to raise rates for everyone, instead of offering it in a separate package just for those who want it and are willing to pay for it. Time Warner is not going to eat the cost (because they're nice guys) and the NFL is not going to give it away for free (because they're nice guys). So, Time Warner wants to put it in a sports package and the NFL is saying no; you have to do it our way or no way. I blame the NFL.

BTW - Because of the DirecTV/Versus spat, I can't watch tonight's Sabres game even though I have the Center Ice package... B.S. everywhere.

And while we (OK, I) are in a bitching mood, why in Gods name are people who pay for the Sunday ticket in Rochester and Syracuse blacked out for non sold out games???? They pay their money, and a big piece of that goes to the NFL. I'm not talking about this game in particular, just "real" home games. Greed knows no limit in the NFL.

Yeah, dish and directTV can put it on a tier (or attach to the Sunday ticket), but TW has to put it on basic for the exposure. Someone 'splain that one to me please.

Gawd, the NFL FO has me defending TW now. Is there no end to their evil!!!! :P

Direct TV has it on their BASIC package, it has NOTHING to do with the ticket. I said if a bar has the ticket it will also have NFL Network because I knew the bar would have Direct TV.

And while we (OK, I) are in a bitching mood, why in Gods name are people who pay for the Sunday ticket in Rochester and Syracuse blacked out for non sold out games???? They pay their money, and a big piece of that goes to the NFL. I'm not talking about this game in particular, just "real" home games. Greed knows no limit in the NFL.

Games on the local channels are blacked out on the ticket. I think a game the wasn't a sell out would be on the ticket in Syracuse & Rochester.

My directv bill didn't go up a dime when I received the NFL channel and hasn't gone up since. You can't be serious when you typed "T-W is unwilling to raise rates"? That's all they did until they finally got some competition from Satellite companies. You must have meant; they will raise prices to their customers to add the NFL channel and if they do their customers will drop them, so therefor they don't want to pay the NFL for the rights.

I also have direcTV. The reason your bill did not go up when you got the NFL Channel was that you got that and some MSG with the Sabres in return for losing the bankrupt Empire Sports netword. Nothing is for nothing.

BTW - Because of the DirecTV/Versus spat, I can't watch tonight's Sabres game even though I have the Center Ice package... B.S. everywhere.

Thanks for the tip. T-W here carries Versus in their basic digital tier. I just checked the listing...the BUF@TOR game is being shown.

Sorry about your spat with the satellite folks. :P

As far as the NFL Network wanting to stay on the Basic Tier, the NFL is the most watched sports league on the planet...perfectly reasonable that they want their exposure to be at a maximum. A sports tier should be for the regional and specialty sports channels, IMO.

Regarding who's at fault...Time Warner or NFL Network on pricing

I heard this from a buddy of mine who lives in the city

When Adelphia was running things, they added NFL Network, ESPNU, and several other channels to their basic line-up and prices went up $2.22 a month per subscriber.

After Time Warner took over and then subsequently dropped NFL Network and, I believe, some of the other channels that Adelphia had added, they kept the rate hike that Adelphia had put in place to cover the cost of those channels.

Simply put, Buffalonians are still paying for NFL Network but not getting it.

Thanks for the tip. T-W here carries Versus in their basic digital tier. I just checked the listing...the BUF@TOR game is being shown.

Sorry about your spat with the satellite folks. :P

I believe that Comcast owns Versus. Maybe they're angry with DirecTV/NFL for signing the exclusive deal, so they're trying to get back at DirecTV...

As far as the NFL Network wanting to stay on the Basic Tier, the NFL is the most watched sports league on the planet...perfectly reasonable that they want their exposure to be at a maximum. A sports tier should be for the regional and specialty sports channels, IMO.

Regarding who's at fault...Time Warner or NFL Network on pricing

I heard this from a buddy of mine who lives in the city

When Adelphia was running things, they added NFL Network, ESPNU, and several other channels to their basic line-up and prices went up $2.22 a month per subscriber.

After Time Warner took over and then subsequently dropped NFL Network and, I believe, some of the other channels that Adelphia had added, they kept the rate hike that Adelphia had put in place to cover the cost of those channels.

Simply put, Buffalonians are still paying for NFL Network but not getting it.

If the NFL wants more exposure, why did they go exclusively with DirecTV? They could have created a reasonable plan that allows cable companies to also buy in to the deal. As with everything, it comes down to money.

I'm sure you all already know that the game will not be televised in the Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo markets by Time Warner. I called Time Warner last night and they informed me the NFL Network has exclusive rights to the game. This means it doesn't matter if you are in the primary or secondary market, & if you do not have a cable provider that has the NFL network you will not see this game. THIS SUCKS AND I DON'T KNOW WHO TO BLAME, THE NFL OR TIME WARNER!!!!!

I hate to say it..... just cough up the extra dough for Direct TV. Screw TW

I live in Boston and the Pats are never blacked out these days. I am shocked that this is true?

I also have direcTV. The reason your bill did not go up when you got the NFL Channel was that you got that and some MSG with the Sabres in return for losing the bankrupt Empire Sports netword. Nothing is for nothing.

It has NOTHING to do with losing Empire. Living in Fla, I never got Empire & my bill did not go up with NFL Network. Why can Direct TV pay for it without charging their customers extra & cable can't? Sounds to me like Cable wants to MAKE money on it.

If the NFL wants more exposure, why did they go exclusively with DirecTV? They could have created a reasonable plan that allows cable companies to also buy in to the deal. As with everything, it comes down to money.

If you are talking about the Sunday Ticket, the NFL wants LIMITED exposure of that because of the Network Contracts. The day the Ticket is available to everyone with Cable & Sat. will be the day there is no more FREE Games on the Networks.