Tony Dungy said it...

He said in week 4 that Vince Young should be starting for the Titans...

...and he just said on Football Night in America that Vince Young is a winner and he feels that Tim Tebow will be the same way and just as successful. "They both find ways to win!" - Tony Dungy

Saturday's box score - Florida Gators vs. Florida State Seminoles

Florida Passing

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT

T. Tebow 17/21 221 10.5 3 0

Florida Rushing

CAR YDS AVG TD LG

T. Tebow 15 90 6.0 2 47

*TD passes of 18, 37 and 39 yards...TD runs of 18 and 1 yards

**10-13 on 3rd down...and...1-1 on 4th down

(Started a post about Tebow's game Saturday, including an article about what a class act he is and how he cares about his team and the fans...how he is even a fan of the team he plays for...however, SUPPOSEDLY THAT SAME EXACT TOPIC was being discussed somewhere else, although it wasn't...so here's to you Simon! :flirt: )

I don't put much stock in what Tony Dungy has to say regarding offensive football. It was pretty well conditional upon him being hired in Indy that he have no say in the offense. His record in Tampa on the offensive side of the football is not very good either. Trent Dilfer and Shawn King were people he probably thought were winners too. If Dungy talks about defense I do listen.

I don't put much stock in what Tony Dungy has to say regarding offensive football. It was pretty well conditional upon him being hired in Indy that he have no say in the offense. His record in Tampa on the offensive side of the football is not very good either. Trent Dilfer and Shawn King were people he probably thought were winners too. If Dungy talks about defense I do listen.

The fact is, he is a professional, super bowl winning, head football coach in the national football league...

...NONE of us on this website could even think of being in the same stratisphere as that guy when it comes to knowledge.

He knows talent. period. He said Young should be playing. Vince got the chance and has not looked back...all the while making Dungy right, again.

You do realize one of the reasons he went to Indy was the fact that he PLAYED QB in college under Moore? And that he didn't play DB until he got to the NFL? One of the cool things about his relationship with Peyton and Moore was that he understood the No huddle because he ran it in college, the same way, with the same coach.

So, maybe listen to him a little when he talks about football period. It may help.

The fact is, he is a professional, super bowl winning, head football coach in the national football league...

...NONE of us on this website could even think of being in the same stratisphere as that guy when it comes to knowledge.

He knows talent. period. He said Young should be playing. Vince got the chance and has not looked back...all the while making Dungy right, again.

Your attempt to marginalize every poster on this board is low. Everyone on here is entitled to their opinion, even though most have never coached in the NFL, or probably college. There are still a few intelligent posters who are right far more often than wrong.

Tony Dungy could not win in TB with a stellar defense, which won not long after he left for Indianapolis. He is an outstanding man who has endured tragedy and triumphed mightily. That said, offensively his teams weren't stellar until he inherited Peyton Manning.

I feel Dungy benefitted from the same thing Marv Levy did in Buffalo: Bill Polian. BP is one of the finest football minds the NFL has ever seen, and his collection of talent is nothing less than spectacular. Dungy was a good coach regardless.

BTW, it's stratosphere.

I keep seeing these posts about Polian/Levy, Polian/Dungy, and it makes sense, but doesn't this kind of cement the fact that a great GM trumps a great coach?

I am simply asking the question. I saw a post, saying that Polian fell into great situations because Kelly was in Buffalo and Peyton in Indy, so before we give him too much credit, he was the benefactor of two elite QBs...he created those situations.

If I had to evaluate a football player's talent, I would take Dungy over fan who posted on TSW. If it were possible, I think I would ask Polian above just about everybody else, assuming he had his staff at his disposal.

I know people on this board do not like QB's that find ways to win games, a la Flutie. Tebow is drawing the praise of some pretty heavy "football guys," which I thought we all agreed was important to be when making player decisions. I would take a player that finds a way to win, over a guy who is supposed to be able to win any day of the week. We have tried that, and we didn't help those players learn what it took, if it is even teachable, to win. Winning, as motivation as it sounds, is an attitude. Our players don't know how to win, with one exception, TO. Mitchell is a winner, and he is out now, but you could see "it" in him. There are players with "it" inside of them on this team, and I think that Tebow would bring that out.

Plus, it would have been a lot less painful than seeing Fitzy labor down the sideline on the TD run!!!

If we get a shot at him, I say we grab him, but the secret is out and there will be teams ahead of us that need a QB, but I bet a good GM would find a way to move up and get him, if it means making the team better.

Your attempt to marginalize every poster on this board is low. Everyone on here is entitled to their opinion, even though most have never coached in the NFL, or probably college. There are still a few intelligent posters who are right far more often than wrong.

Tony Dungy could not win in TB with a stellar defense, which won not long after he left for Indianapolis. He is an outstanding man who has endured tragedy and triumphed mightily. That said, offensively his teams weren't stellar until he inherited Peyton Manning.

I feel Dungy benefitted from the same thing Marv Levy did in Buffalo: Bill Polian. BP is one of the finest football minds the NFL has ever seen, and his collection of talent is nothing less than spectacular. Dungy was a good coach regardless.

BTW, it's stratosphere.

Lets take a closer look at the Dungy resume before we make any rash decisions on him...not trying to be argumentative, but the way Dungy gets credit taken away on here is astonishing...

Before we disregard Dungy's influence on the Indy offense, keep in mind before Dungy got there Payton was the A Rod of the NFL. He choked, and so did the Indy offense every year in the playoffs and couldnt get over the hump. Many people said he was going to be more like Dan Marino than Montanna...a guy who can compile stats in regular season but wasnt going to win the SB...

Another side note...TB did win the SB the year Gruden took over Dungys team, however, the one area of the team that had different perosonnel was the offense. Gruden had a few more pieces added, one of which was Keenan McCardell at WR which everyone knew was the position they desperately needed help at on offense.

Most importantly though, and its always over looked, Gruden had something Dungy didnt have the majority of the time he was in TB...a good QB. Brad Johnson had only been there one year under Dungy, and in that one year the TB offense had no real playmakers on it and very little at WR. That offseason, TB acquired McCardell, and that gave the offense and Brad a major boost as well...

So whos to say Dungy wouldnt have also reached the SB and won that year with the extra offensive weapons TB acquired once he was fired...

Add in the fact that TB also lucked out and faced Oakland in the SB where several TB players have publicly stated that it was a massacre because of the incredible advantage TB had knowing the offense inside and out and that Oak arrogantly didnt change their offense despite facing the guy who coached it for several years. They said they knew what they were doing before they even hiked the ball.

And finally, TB went down the tubes in Grudens second year and missed the playoffs. TB would never be relevant again. No Dungy team, in TB or Indy, has severly digressed like that...

So maybe, before people take all the credit away from him we should take a closer look at the before, after, and current state of the teams he coached and built and give him the credit he earned.

Lets take a closer look at the Dungy resume before we make any rash decisions on him...not trying to be argumentative, but the way Dungy gets credit taken away on here is astonishing...

Before we disregard Dungy's influence on the Indy offense, keep in mind before Dungy got there Payton was the A Rod of the NFL. He choked, and so did the Indy offense every year in the playoffs and couldnt get over the hump. Many people said he was going to be more like Dan Marino than Montanna...a guy who can compile stats in regular season but wasnt going to win the SB...

Another side note...TB did win the SB the year Gruden took over Dungys team, however, the one area of the team that had different perosonnel was the offense. Gruden had a few more pieces added, one of which was Keyshawn Johnson at WR which everyone knew was the position they desperately needed help at on offense.

Most importantly though, and its always over looked, Gruden had something Dungy didnt have the majority of the time he was in TB...a good QB. Brad Johnson had only been there one year under Dungy, and in that one year the TB offense had no real playmakers on it and very little at WR. That offseason, TB acquired more offensive talent, most notably Keyshawn, and that gave the offense and Brad a major boost.

So whos to say Dungy wouldnt have also reached the SB and won that year with the extra offensive weapons TB acquired once he was fired...

Add in the fact that TB also lucked out and faced Oakland in the SB where several TB players have publicly stated that it was a massacre because of the incredible advantage TB had knowing the offense inside and out and that Oak arrogantly didnt change their offense despite facing the guy who coached it for several years. They said they knew what they were doing before they even hiked the ball.

And finally, TB went down the tubes in Grudens second year and missed the playoffs. TB would never be relevant again. No Dungy team, in TB or Indy, has severly digressed like that...

So maybe, before people take all the credit away from him we should take a closer look at the before, after, and current state of the teams he coached and built and give him the credit he earned.

Keyshawn played under Dungy for 2 seasons. Keyshawn was accquired in 2000 and Dungy started in Indy in 2002. Dungy had Keyshawn for the 2000 and 2001 seasons.

Keyshawn played under Dungy for 2 seasons. Keyshawn was accquired in 2000 and Dungy started in Indy in 2002. Dungy had Keyshawn for the 2000 and 2001 seasons.

Your are right...my bad, I was thinking of Keenan McCardell, who was the WR Gruden brought in...still though, Dungy had Brad one year and the TB offense which needed WR help and McCardell was a significant acquisition. Still though, all the other points still apply, and dont under estimate how good McCardell was...

...and he just said on Football Night in America that Vince Young is a winner and he feels that Tim Tebow will be the same way and just as successful. "They both find ways to win!" - Tony Dungy

And?

Multiple Super Bowl winning coach Jimmy Johnson has been quoted as saying that Tebow is not good enough to be a QB in the NFL and is better suited to a gimmick-type of player.

Johnson has more rings than Dungy...

Tony Dungy could not look less comfortable. He is a very good man. And was a good coach, but he doe snot belong on tv. Maybe back on the sidelines, but not standing next to Dan Patrick, trying to figure out what camera to look in.

Bambi with a cold? :rolleyes:

Everyone said Young was not a NFL QB, but I think he has become a great one. There are no limitations in either Tebows or McCoys game that makes me think they couldnt do what Young is doing. Odds are against them though.

You really think 5 or 6 decent games qualifies someone to be elevated to "great" status?

Quick recap of Young's "great" play this season. In 5 games as the starter he's thrown for over 200 yards twice (210 against us and 380 against Arizona) and has 4 TDs and 2ints.

Holy-low-expectations-Batman! If that's what qualifies as "great" then the Bills are in beautiful shape at QB.

You really think 5 or 6 decent games qualifies someone to be elevated to "great" status?

Quick recap of Young's "great" play this season. In 5 games as the starter he's thrown for over 200 yards twice (210 against us and 380 against Arizona) and has 4 TDs and 2ints.

Holy-low-expectations-Batman! If that's what qualifies as "great" then the Bills are in beautiful shape at QB.

I was sincerely hoping that he meant STEVE Young. :rolleyes:

Saturday's box score - Florida Gators vs. Florida State Seminoles

Florida Passing

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT

T. Tebow 17/21 221 10.5 3 0

Florida Rushing

CAR YDS AVG TD LG

T. Tebow 15 90 6.0 2 47

*TD passes of 18, 37 and 39 yards...TD runs of 18 and 1 yards

**10-13 on 3rd down...and...1-1 on 4th down

(Started a post about Tebow's game Saturday, including an article about what a class act he is and how he cares about his team and the fans...how he is even a fan of the team he plays for...however, SUPPOSEDLY THAT SAME EXACT TOPIC was being discussed somewhere else, although it wasn't...so here's to you Simon! :rolleyes: )

So it takes a genius to predict that Kerry Collins' best days are behind him? Be real. And while you're at it, get rid of that tasteless avatar, too. For one, Dick Jauron is no longer the coach. And for two, it's rude and classless. Go to an Eagles forum if that's the kind of company you want.

Athletically I don't think you can even compare Tebow with Young, Young is more accurate bigger faster taller and a stronger arm.

More accurate? Have you seen Youngs accuracy and TD to INT ratio? I dont know that "accurate" is a word many would use to describe Young...

His resurgence is a nice story, but he still has a long way to go as a QB...lets not forget how incredible Chris Johnson has been in a lot of these wins Young gets all the credit for...I hope he does become a good QB, be a nice story, but I wouldnt say he is there yet.