Congrats JP

BillsFanLevy

That was painful... I could disect it as much as anyone else on these boards, but bottom line is yeah, he may have looked good in the UFL with a lot of other NFL castoffs, but maybe that's where he belongs.

I do not think this demonstrates that JP is NFL material at all. The UFL is simply a large step down in competition level and on a player to perform. It provides a POSSIBILITY that a player with some solid future development MIGHT be NFL adequate, but that is a hard thing to do and this performance though a very good one on this minor league stage is little more than a positive step in progress and proves nothing about the player.

However, what it does show and potentially of even greater relevance to us is that it is a pretty good demonstration that the Bills O braintrust (TD on down to HC, OC and QB coaches) did a pretty bad job of managing JPs development. JP showed with this winning performance in a minor league that he does have some talents though he never consistently showed them in the NFL.

My guess is that given a proven level of incompetent employee management/development by TD, offensive productivity by GW, and even ability to produce a consistently sound offense by the OCs hired by GW that it may well be the case that JP utterly failed here not simply because he had no talent (on the contrary had has some talents as shown at Tulane, in several starting stints with the Bills and now in the minor league UFL) but because the Bill braintrust was so bad they really mismanaged his development.

Is JP a flawed player?

Yep.

Is he such a flawed player he has nothing to offer?

Nope.

Could the Bills with some good development work and not rushing JP into a starting role when he was not ready (even JP admitted this) have gotten more out of him?

Quite likely yes.

I doubt even this would have been enough for the JP haters out there, but to this football fan the shame of this is that I think JP has some talents and I simply wish the Bills had been intelligent enough to nurture them rather than depend on them. The boy needed some work before he became a man as an athlete. Maybe he is getting in the UFL. Doubtful as the clock is ticking and the timeline is short for today's athlete (unless you are Brett Favre). I think JP actually has a shot at making it (like two time loser QB Brad Johnson until he won an SB in the right circumstances( in the NFL. Incredibly doubtful he gets the luck to accompany players like Sapp et al. that won an SB with Johnson.

However, with a solid OL that made him a little calmer and using his outstanding escapability from time to time rather than depending on it I think he still could be a consistent winning NFL QB. Like it or not he is a pretty talented player, just not good enough that he is going to lead a team to the promised land without some serious help.

As this is true of even the most accomplished NFL QBs (Manning in NYG and RoboQb in Pitts) it amuses me that some folks still refuse to acknowledge the talents that won him a merited 1st round pick, a starting job and some legit dashed hopes with the Bills and now a UFL championship.

He is a minor leaguer so far, but I blame the Bills offensive braintrust far more than I blame him as a player right now.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it's the entrepreneur in me that sees it otherwise. I give the founders of the league a lot of credit for getting it started. I watched about 5 games and came away with a good impression of the play on the field, the coaching, officiating and TV coverage. No it wasn't always up to NFL standards but they working with much smaller budgets and it's a startup. I'd like to see it succeed and it provides a nice opportunity for fans to see games at a much lower cost and for palyers to play that otherwise wouldn't. If there was a team here in Chicago, I'd take my family to see a game.

I'll agree with all that. I had similar feelings after watching the game yesterday. My primary concern (if you could call it that), however, is for the overall "look" of the league. They look like amatuer hour out there in the those mickey mouse uniforms. Why can't they at least make them look like professionals?

I did like the extra mics so you could hear the coach/QB discussions. And some of the other things like that.

I wonder if they've tried to have players on their roster that some NFL team owns the rights to, similar to how they did with NFL Europa? It'd be kinda interesting to have a young player get some playing time in the UFL and then be able to be activated to an NFL roster right about now.

I can't believe that there is anyone out there who still cares about JP. For all of those fans who think JP can still play, ask yourself this question. Why would a young QB who was a 1st round draft pick with all of the physical tools not get a sniff in free agency? Because he sucks! There were 30+ GMs and coaches who passed on him. Nuff said.

I can't believe that there is anyone out there who still cares about JP. For all of those fans who think JP can still play, ask yourself this question. Why would a young QB who was a 1st round draft pick with all of the physical tools not get a sniff in free agency? Because he sucks! There were 30+ GMs and coaches who passed on him. Nuff said.

How's this for a litmus test, was he capable of throwing for 200+ yards on 35 attempts in the UFL Championship? No? Okay, moving on.

You really don't think that ESPN is deliberately downplaying the upstart league because they're so heavily invested in the NFL, or that they'd potentially lose viewers of ESPN's coverage of more bona-fide, legitimate 'sporting activities' such as Texas Hold'em, or BassMaster?

Really???? :thumbdown:

Okay, I'm convinced that the UFL is a bona fide league. The NFL should issue a challenge to the UFL. The winner of the SuperBowl will play the Las Vegas Whatevertheyares for the championship of the world. That'll put an end to any doubt.

Okay, I'm convinced that the UFL is a bona fide league. The NFL should issue a challenge to the UFL. The winner of the SuperBowl will play the Las Vegas Whatevertheyares for the championship of the world. That'll put an end to any doubt.

The Senator loves to say incredibly dumb things to get a reaction. He's the Rush Limbaugh of TBD.

Guest dog14787
The Senator loves to say incredibly dumb things to get a reaction. He's the Rush Limbaugh of TBD.

Some folks who have nothing better to say attack posters instead of posting something intelligent.

I've brought up the idea of having a Toilet Bowl one day where the worse team in the NFL faces off against the UFL champion and the winner plays in the NFL the following year, loser plays in the UFL. Not much doubt in my mind the Tuskers or the Loco's could beat a few NFL teams.

Who knows, maybe one day my Toilet Bowl will become a reality...

Some folks who have nothing better to say attack posters instead of posting something intelligent.

I've brought up the idea of having a Toilet Bowl one day where the worse team in the NFL faces off against the UFL champion and the winner plays in the NFL the following year, loser plays in the UFL. Not much doubt in my mind the Tuskers or the Loco's could beat a few NFL teams.

Who knows, maybe one day my Toilet Bowl will become a reality...

I like it! That would be like promotion & relegation in soccer right?

Guest dog14787
I like it! That would be like promotion & relegation in soccer right?

You know I didn't realize as much because I don't follow soccer, but another poster said they do use the same format in other sports and I thought he said soccer was one of them.

It sure would put a whole new spin on things

Guest dog14787
On another note, any team (especially in pro-football) has a hard time beating a team 3 times during the season. The Tuskers did beat the Locos 2 times before... Third time (Locos) is always a charm!

The UFL does need a few more teams and they are adding two more next season so two new cities will get a Football team.

The only year he started ,we won 7 games. Have we gotten any better since that year? And in the final nine games of that year Losman ranked 2nd in the NFL with a 5.6. T.D. percentage. And than Dick dicided to run the waterdown offense we had the last two years. You heard what Turk said about Dick when he got fired. We did have a differant style offense the last two years than what we ran in 2006. We were 5-4 the last 9 games in 2006. Last two years we sucked the scond half of the year. Would you rather have 5.6. T.D. pecentage or our offense we have know. Of course that was a more open offense back than. couldn't you see a diferance in our offense from 2006 to 2007? It was more open in 2006 than in 2007. And if you watch Losman in the other leaque. You would see that he admits that he had alot of work to do to get better, and thats why he went to that leaque so he can work on his flaws. You have a better chance to get better when your playing, than sitting on a bench. Plus he had a better coach there, than he had in Buffalo.

The only year he started ,we won 7 games. Have we gotten any better since that year? And in the final nine games of that year Losman ranked 2nd in the NFL with a 5.6. T.D. percentage. And than Dick dicided to run the waterdown offense we had the last two years. You heard what Turk said about Dick when he got fired. We did have a differant style offense the last two years than what we ran in 2006. We were 5-4 the last 9 games in 2006. Last two years we sucked the scond half of the year. Would you rather have 5.6. T.D. pecentage or our offense we have know. Of course that was a more open offense back than. couldn't you see a diferance in our offense from 2006 to 2007? It was more open in 2006 than in 2007. And if you watch Losman in the other leaque. You would see that he admits that he had alot of work to do to get better, and thats why he went to that leaque so he can work on his flaws. You have a better chance to get better when your playing, than sitting on a bench. Plus he had a better coach there, than he had in Buffalo.

Dude... The UFL had an 8 week schedule with one bye and including championship... That is 7 games with championship.

That is like skiing the bunny slope all the time. One isn't gonna get better. In fact may even pick up worse habits if not done properly.

So it's "incredibly dumb" to suggest that ESPN would prefer to downplay the very existence of the UFL as much as possible, not only because they are so incredibly invested in the NFL, but also to minimize even the slightest chance that true football 'junkies' will eschew ESPN's broadcasts of other college events, poker tournaments, golf, bowling, curling, children's gymnastics, skating, fishing and outdoorsman shows, etc., etc., to watch a UFL game on a competing network - if they knew it was on?

Really??? :thumbdown::rolleyes:

You don't think JP can out play our current QB's, because both JP or Bollinger probably could in my opinion.

JP would be airing it out to TO and Lee every other play, are you kidding me.

This team would never compete for the Super Bowl with JP, but they would have more than 3 wins right now, and T.O.'s numbers would be 3 times what they are now, if not more. JP had one thing Trent and Fitz dont have-an arm strong enough to play in the NFL and go downfield with fast game changing recievers.