If Kelly was owner...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only QB to lead the Bills to a league championship was from California.

John Elway & Tom Brady are from California.

Just because we've haven't hit on the last 3 bums from California doesn't mean they're all bad.

Brady played in the weather at Mich. Elway is the lone exception. As for as that 'championship QB' who gives a rats ass about the old assed AFL? This is the NFL and the only guy to get us to the championship game was NOT from friggin California.

I am with Kelly, no more surfer boys.

Sometimes I think Jim Kelly tells the fans what he thinks they want to hear....

A lot of this plays to Buffalo's inferiority complex (we may not have much here, but we're tough!)

I can understand the argument about not wanting a guy that played college football in SoCal (though I disagree), but just being from California (home to maybe the best high school coaching in the country) is ridiculous. Most QB's are failures, the good ones are few and far between, and need to be groomed.

And another name to add to Brady and Elway....Troy Aikman.

Just because we've haven't hit on the last 3 bums from California doesn't mean they're all bad.

Jack Kemp earned an exemption (from being from CA) thanks to toughening up in the military. Do yourself a favor and dig-up Dennis Shaw's and Vince Faragamo's stats.

Brady played in the weather at Mich. Elway is the lone exception. As for as that 'championship QB' who gives a rats ass about the old assed AFL? This is the NFL and the only guy to get us to the championship game was NOT from friggin California.

I am with Kelly, no more surfer boys.

Jack Kemp was from Cali as well!!!!! Did everyone suddenly lose their mind and forget about our two AFL titles under a Socal QB?

I am stunned. :thumbsup:

I just went and looked up the first round QB's, and there just isn't any evidence that being born in CA, or playing college football in CA leads to failure (even on Northeasten teams) in the NFL. There are plenty of losers from the North (South, East, and West too)

Jim Druckenmiller

Rick Mirer

Ryan Leaf

Tim Couch

Dave Brown

(Kerry Collins/ Drew Bledsoe/Chad Pennington you decide on these guys, I think they were not so good.)

And some of these guys could be considered "soft".

Just some thoughts... I think Kelly was referring to no Cali QBs "For Buffalo".

There are plenty of Cali QBs who have had much success. As was rightly pointed out, Aikman is a good example. But look closely at that example - Aikman played high school in CA, went to UCLA, then played in Dallas. His experience made him suited to play in Dallas. Think of Rob Johnson - HS in CA, USC then success in Jacksonville. Then he stunk in Buffalo. Kelly himself played college ball at Miami. But, Kelly had a strong arm, a tight spiral, and developed that in HS in PA. And I think that is the key... somewhere the QB has to have played in cold weather whether that's in HS or college. Tom Brady played at Michigan. As anybody who has frozen their rear end off at RW stadium, it's tough to play there with the swirling winds and bitter cold.

Just some thoughts... I think Kelly was referring to no Cali QBs "For Buffalo".

There are plenty of Cali QBs who have had much success. As was rightly pointed out, Aikman is a good example. But look closely at that example - Aikman played high school in CA, went to UCLA, then played in Dallas. His experience made him suited to play in Dallas. Think of Rob Johnson - HS in CA, USC then success in Jacksonville. Then he stunk in Buffalo. Kelly himself played college ball at Miami. But, Kelly had a strong arm, a tight spiral, and developed that in HS in PA. And I think that is the key... somewhere the QB has to have played in cold weather whether that's in HS or college. Tom Brady played at Michigan. As anybody who has frozen their rear end off at RW stadium, it's tough to play there with the swirling winds and bitter cold.

I know what he said, I also know the history of California QB's, and warm weather QB's in the north, because I researched it. Some work out , others don't, JUST LIKE EVERYWHERE ELSE!. I'm glad you are talking Warm Weather, does that mean I can include guys from ANY warm weather area in my argument, because so many come from the South? Or are you gonna pull out the "SoCal laidback and soft" argument too?

The South has produced GREAT QB's for all weather (Fran Tarkenton, Terry Bradshaw, Bret Favre, Bart Starr, Randall Cunningham(not great) didn't seem to mind the cold).

Jim Kelly has been THE ONLY successful QB in Buffalo (no AFL please, no Joe Ferguson please), so it's pretty hard to gauge the QB successes (yeah he was from PA, but if he was from LA-USC would we only draft SoCal QB's? Surely not)

The guy can get used to it, just like Tom Brady or whoever. Instead of 19, they get used to it at 22, 23. Point is, most QB's don't make the cut no matter where they come from. And Northern CA is way different in both climate and culture than Southern CA.

Actually, Elway is from Washington and grew up in Washington and Montana for the most part. I have been a football fan for almost 40 years and Kelly is my favorite player ever, in fact my house is nearly a shrine to him. That statement though is pretty dumb. You are right that Jack Kemp was from CA and he might have forgotten that the QB that beat us in two straight Super Bowls was also from the left hand state.

I know what he said, I also know the history of California QB's, and warm weather QB's in the north, because I researched it. Some work out , others don't, JUST LIKE EVERYWHERE ELSE!. I'm glad you are talking Warm Weather, does that mean I can include guys from ANY warm weather area in my argument, because so many come from the South? Or are you gonna pull out the "SoCal laidback and soft" argument too?

The South has produced GREAT QB's for all weather (Fran Tarkenton, Terry Bradshaw, Bret Favre, Bart Starr, Randall Cunningham(not great) didn't seem to mind the cold).

Jim Kelly has been THE ONLY successful QB in Buffalo (no AFL please, no Joe Ferguson please), so it's pretty hard to gauge the QB successes (yeah he was from PA, but if he was from LA-USC would we only draft SoCal QB's? Surely not)

The guy can get used to it, just like Tom Brady or whoever. Instead of 19, they get used to it at 22, 23. Point is, most QB's don't make the cut no matter where they come from. And Northern CA is way different in both climate and culture than Southern CA.

Last I checked, Doug Flutie (from MD) was a pretty good QB in Buffalo, not to mention everywhere he was- compiling more wins than losses. What could have been if that CA Bum hadn't been stuck behind center in TN. Although, I do give credit to RJ- he played a hell of a game (that one game). If Flutie had played, TN wouldn't have had a chance to take the game with one last score.

Brady was cold weather battle tested in MI.

How's Marc 'Dirty' Sanchez fairing?

Right.

There are exceptions to every rule, but do you want to go that route (yet again) in Western NY? Have fun.

Last I checked, Doug Flutie (from MD) was a pretty good QB in Buffalo, not to mention everywhere he was- compiling more wins than losses. What could have been if that CA Bum hadn't been stuck behind center in TN. Although, I do give credit to RJ- he played a hell of a game (that one game). If Flutie had played, TN wouldn't have had a chance to take the game with one last score.

Brady was cold weather battle tested in MI.

How's Marc 'Dirty' Sanchez fairing?

Right.

There are exceptions to every rule, but do you want to go that route (yet again) in Western NY? Have fun.

You been drinking?

Tom Brady was battle tested at Michigan? You guys do realize that the college football season is pretty much over before it starts snowing, right?

It's a myth people want to believe, because they want to feel like Buffalo is just too tough for Californians (just CA, not Florida or Louisiana, or Alabama, or Georgia or other warm place that have produced good QB's). California just represents everything Buffalo resents. I know because I have spent many years in both places. California has it's quirks (LA is filled with shallow people, but that dissipates the further away from the city you get) There is no lack of "toughness" there either, plenty of life obstacles to overcome.

Sometimes I think Jim Kelly tells the fans what he thinks they want to hear....

A lot of this plays to Buffalo's inferiority complex (we may not have much here, but we're tough!)

I can understand the argument about not wanting a guy that played college football in SoCal (though I disagree), but just being from California (home to maybe the best high school coaching in the country) is ridiculous. Most QB's are failures, the good ones are few and far between, and need to be groomed.

And another name to add to Brady and Elway....Troy Aikman.

The best High School coaching in the country is in Western PA. Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Namath, Unitas, and that's just the Hall of Fame QB's.