If Kelly was owner...

Losman and Edwards choked in the snow and made comments about how it was their first game in snow. That's reason enough for Kelly to draw conclusions. It has less to do with being from CA and more to do with a lack of player/coaching imagination in prepping for the difference.

That's because they both suck and would try to find any excuse for their shortcomings. I blame the player/coaches, not the area they are from (or their forefathers).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I am now wondering where the main cultural (not ethnic) groups of Buffalo's population rank for intelligence, because there seems to be an excessive amount of idiocy on this board. I don't think people from this area should analyze football. They are tough of course, hard workers and all that, just not smart.

It's genetic...

The Buffalo area had traditionally been associated with the Puritan cultural group. (Strong middle class, solid work ethic, good moral values, etc.) The percentage of people actually descended from the Puritans has gradually declined due to immigration.

I think the idiocy you see on this board is due to several factors:

1. The brain drain. With fewer opportunities available in Upstate New York than elsewhere, a lot of the smartest people have left the area. (As have some of the less smart.)

2. Gresham's Law. There's a tendency for bad content to drive out good, and for lower quality posters to drive out better posters.

3. People like getting responses to their posts. If you write something that's middle of the road, it might not cause enough of an emotional reaction for anyone to respond. Conversely, if you take a more extreme, less nuanced view, you're more likely to inspire others to respond to you (both for and against). This can cause disagreements to become amplified, and to turn into shouting matches.

4. There are some people who--with varying degrees of justification--assume they are smarter than other participants on these boards. They take that assumption one step further, and conclude that anyone who disagrees with them is an idiot. This leads a portion of our board's smarter members to primarily contribute personal attack/substance free postings. While some of the people creating those postings may be intelligent, their posts do not reflect that intelligence, and add nothing to these forums.

I'm sure there are other reasons why the quality of participation in this forum isn't higher. But I would caution against using what you see on these forums to draw conclusions about the average level of intelligence of people in the Buffalo area.

The Buffalo area had traditionally been associated with the Puritan cultural group. (Strong middle class, solid work ethic, good moral values, etc.) The percentage of people actually descended from the Puritans has gradually declined due to immigration.

I think the idiocy you see on this board is due to several factors:

1. The brain drain. With fewer opportunities available in Upstate New York than elsewhere, a lot of the smartest people have left the area. (As have some of the less smart.)

2. Gresham's Law. There's a tendency for bad content to drive out good, and for lower quality posters to drive out better posters.

3. People like getting responses to their posts. If you write something that's middle of the road, it might not cause enough of an emotional reaction for anyone to respond. Conversely, if you take a more extreme, less nuanced view, you're more likely to inspire others to respond to you (both for and against). This can cause disagreements to become amplified, and to turn into shouting matches.

4. There are some people who--with varying degrees of justification--assume they are smarter than other participants on these boards. They take that assumption one step further, and conclude that anyone who disagrees with them is an idiot. This leads a portion of our board's smarter members to primarily contribute personal attack/substance free postings. While some of the people creating those postings may be intelligent, their posts do not reflect that intelligence, and add nothing to these forums.

I'm sure there are other reasons why the quality of participation in this forum isn't higher. But I would caution against using what you see on these forums to draw conclusions about the average level of intelligence of people in the Buffalo area.

Nah, I won't. Only about the poster's on "The Stadium Wall".

Another quick thing, what is with hating on Flutie? Wow, I didn't realize people disliked him so much. The guy comes in and plays his ass of for this team, finds ways to win games, that didn't necessarily require 400 yards passing, and there is that much animosity against him? I kind of miss the playoffs, and seeing that unrelenting effort out of QB.

since you're new here, I'll give you a pass and assume you just started following the sport...though the handle makes me almost question that last part

Football is the ultimate team game and to give credit for wins to a single player, no matter the position, is not only ignorant, it's insulting to that player's teammates.

In 98, Flutie played well and was an asset to the team in getting to the playoffs...of course then he choked when he was being counted on the most at the end of the game.

In 99, anyone who understands the game and saw the Bills play knows Flutie SUCKED (although obviously there are many people who play with their Flutie blow-up dolls who will try to deny that). He did make a few plays here and there and, to be fair, didn't suck all the time that season. However, for a good chunk of that season, he had a very stupid habit. There were frequent times throughout the games that Moulds and Reed were wide open and Flutie refused to throw the ball, opting instead to tuck the ball and run. Now, whether his reasons be to get himself on highlight shows, because he was too short to see them, or because his arm wasn't strong enough to throw the ball far enough is anyone's guess. Ron Jaworski pointed this problem out on his Matchup show back in the day, I recall...saying defenses didn't have to worry about covering WRs after they got deep because Flutie was never gonna throw it to them.

It's true we went 10-5 with him under center...but there were a few games in there that his bad habit cost us...we could've hosted a playoff game or even won the division had he played QB lthe way the position is meant to be played. You see, the team had something going for it as far as winning games that year....it was called the #1 DEFENSE IN THE NFL!

The best High School coaching in the country is in Western PA. Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Namath, Unitas, and that's just the Hall of Fame QB's.

And when is the last time a great quarterback came from that area? what 25 years ago? That is like saying that Notre Dame is the best team in college football? Times change (and I am a Notre Dame fan), there are probably more great players coming from Florida or Texas nowadays.

since you're new here, I'll give you a pass and assume you just started following the sport...though the handle makes me almost question that last part

Football is the ultimate team game and to give credit for wins to a single player, no matter the position, is not only ignorant, it's insulting to that player's teammates.

In 98, Flutie played well and was an asset to the team in getting to the playoffs...of course then he choked when he was being counted on the most at the end of the game.

In 99, anyone who understands the game and saw the Bills play knows Flutie SUCKED (although obviously there are many people who play with their Flutie blow-up dolls who will try to deny that). He did make a few plays here and there and, to be fair, didn't suck all the time that season. However, for a good chunk of that season, he had a very stupid habit. There were frequent times throughout the games that Moulds and Reed were wide open and Flutie refused to throw the ball, opting instead to tuck the ball and run. Now, whether his reasons be to get himself on highlight shows, because he was too short to see them, or because his arm wasn't strong enough to throw the ball far enough is anyone's guess. Ron Jaworski pointed this problem out on his Matchup show back in the day, I recall...saying defenses didn't have to worry about covering WRs after they got deep because Flutie was never gonna throw it to them.

It's true we went 10-5 with him under center...but there were a few games in there that his bad habit cost us...we could've hosted a playoff game or even won the division had he played QB lthe way the position is meant to be played. You see, the team had something going for it as far as winning games that year....it was called the #1 DEFENSE IN THE NFL!

Trivia questions:

1. Who is the only quarterback to lead the Bills to the playoff every year he started for them (Flutie 1998 & 1999)

2. Who is the last quarterback to lead them to the playoffs: (Flutie 1999)

3. Who is the last quarterback to lead them to 10 wins or more (Flutie 1998 & 1999)

You're right, we have had much better quarterbacks then him since they lost their mind and shitcanned him.

Trivia questions:

1. Who is the only quarterback to lead the Bills to the playoff every year he started for them (Flutie 1998 & 1999)

2. Who is the last quarterback to lead them to the playoffs: (Flutie 1999)

3. Who is the last quarterback to lead them to 10 wins or more (Flutie 1998 & 1999)

You're right, we have had much better quarterbacks then him since they lost their mind and shitcanned him.

They've all sucked since Kelly retired....wake up and put away the Flutie blow-up doll

Flutie didn't lead us to the playoffs...the #1 defense in the NFL did that....that stupid little **** cost us the division with his poor play

Until he proves otherwise, statements like these have to make you think that Kelly knows as much about evaluating talent as Levy.

This thread and its old news is nothing more than the ranting of a guy who wants into the owner's game very badly. He's being controversial and opinionated. It keeps him in the news.

The greatest quarterback of the next decade may come from California or Samoa or anywhere, and to consider a guy's home as part of his qualifications is ridiculous. Regarding Kelly's love of the Bills and obsession with keeping the Bills in Buffalo, it's great.

But he didn't always feel that way. When the Bills originally drafted him, he refused to come to Buffalo. Instead, he played in the USFL and only left when it became obvious that league was going to fold. Forced to play for the Bills, he excelled and the rest is history. So the guy isn't always right in his opinions.