If Kelly was owner...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I think Jim Kelly tells the fans what he thinks they want to hear....

A lot of this plays to Buffalo's inferiority complex (we may not have much here, but we're tough!)

I can understand the argument about not wanting a guy that played college football in SoCal (though I disagree), but just being from California (home to maybe the best high school coaching in the country) is ridiculous. Most QB's are failures, the good ones are few and far between, and need to be groomed.

And another name to add to Brady and Elway....Troy Aikman.

Daryl Lamonica--but thats Fresno---which is more Oklahomaish than Californiaish

Last I checked, Doug Flutie (from MD) was a pretty good QB in Buffalo, not to mention everywhere he was- compiling more wins than losses. What could have been if that CA Bum hadn't been stuck behind center in TN. Although, I do give credit to RJ- he played a hell of a game (that one game). If Flutie had played, TN wouldn't have had a chance to take the game with one last score.

Brady was cold weather battle tested in MI.

How's Marc 'Dirty' Sanchez fairing?

Right.

There are exceptions to every rule, but do you want to go that route (yet again) in Western NY? Have fun.

God make it stop! Doug Flutie SUCKS! he always has and always will............he was a midget that took the bills no where. And for all the skinflutes out there crying about if Flutie had started in Tenn - little dougie got his shot and blew it in Miami.

God make it stop! Doug Flutie SUCKS! he always has and always will............he was a midget that took the bills no where. And for all the skinflutes out there crying about if Flutie had started in Tenn - little dougie got his shot and blew it in Miami.

I fully agree with everything you just said... his proponents cannot fathom that he's still never won an NFL playoff game, and Rob Johnson came a hell of a lot closer than poor cancer Dougie ever did, that is for sure. ALL of our QBs have sucked since Kelly's retirement, Mr. Cancer included.

The best High School coaching in the country is in Western PA. Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Namath, Unitas, and that's just the Hall of Fame QB's.

You decide!

Here ya' go (from Wikianswers- might have missed a QB, but probably accurate)

Pennsyvania

Gus Ferrote - Ford City, PA Jim Kelly - East Brady, PA Mike McMahon - Pittsburgh, PA Willie Thrower - New Kennsington, PA Terry Hanratty - Butler, PA George Blanda, Dan Marino, Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, Joe Namath, Lujack, Hostettler Mark Bulger, Pittsburgh, PA Bruce Gradkowski, Pittsburgh, PA

Then California

(for some reason, Troy Aikman isn't on this list, but he is from West Covina, CA and played at UCLA. Maybe there are too many to remember!)

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/calhisports/0-0...arterbacks.html

I want to address the silly notion that floats around Bills' Nation from time to time that to be a successful quarterback in Buffalo that one needs to be from a cold-weather climate and have extensive experience playing in the cold. There's usually some implication also about mental toughness being a function of a cold weather upbringing.

I will call this "The Cold Weather Theory."

First let me state that more NFL players come from California than any other state. These are recent numbers from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

States with the most NFL players

California: 198

Texas: 173

Florida: 169

Georgia: 84

Ohio: 65

Pennsylvania: 65

Louisiana: 62

Virginia: 56

North Carolina: 53

South Carolina: 49

Mississippi: 47

Illinois: 47

Alabama: 46

You'll notice 3 cold weather states on the list. Based on these numbers across all positions, the Cold Weather Theory has no validity whatsoever.

Let's move on to quarterbacks. There are 22 quarterbacks in the Hall of Fame. Ten of them were either born/raised played most of high school/college football in predominantly warm weather. They are Aikman, Bradshaw, Elway, Fouts, Jurgensen, Layne, Moon, Starr, Tarkenton, and Tittle.

Almost all of these HOF's excelled in NFL cold weather climates after spending most of their earlier football careers playing in warm weather. Of the above the only ones who played in warm weather NFL cities were Aikman, Fouts, and Moon although Moon was a record setting quarterback in the Canadian Football League.

Of present day quarterbacks Tom Brady is from the Bay area (as is Trent Edwards and Jim Harbaugh), Carson Palmer and Matt Cassell are from southern California, Brett Favre from Mississippi, Peyton and Eli from Louisiana, Phillip Rivers from Alabama, and I could go on and on.

A cold weather upbringing probably has almost nothing to do with how well a quarterback plays in cold weather in the NFL. Is there an adjustment to be made? Probably. But in light of all this information, how much of a factor is it really?

Anyone who's read Albion's Seed is familiar with the fact that there are differing regional cultures in the U.S. In order of arrival, those cultural groups are: 1) the Puritans, 2) the Cavaliers, 3) the Quakers, and 4) the Borderers. Of the four groups, the Puritans have the best work ethic and highest education standards, the Cavaliers have the most refined/best social elite (think George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, etc.), the Quakers are the most industrial, materialistic, pacifistic, and feministic, and the Borderers are the toughest and most warlike. Typically, areas settled by the Borderers produce the highest number of football players on a per-capita basis.

The term "Borderer" was used to describe the residents of the six northernmost counties in England, the Scotch lowlands, and northern Ireland. As well as their descendants. Examples of Borderers include John Wayne, General Patton, and people like that. Southwest Pennsylvania is Borderer territory, but so too are a lot of other places in the U.S. Borderer territory includes Appalachia, the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, northern Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, Texas, Oklahoma, the Southwest, and--oddly enough--Southern California. But, as is also the case for the three other cultural groups, the Borderer culture has degenerated and declined. In some places this decline is worse than others. From a football perspective, you're most interested in toughness and other warrior virtues. I'm guessing that these traits have not decayed as much in rural or mountainous areas--such as southwest Pennsylvania--as they may have in places like Los Angeles or San Diego.

Let's move on to quarterbacks. There are 22 quarterbacks in the Hall of Fame. Ten of them were either born/raised played most of high school/college football in predominantly warm weather. They are Aikman, Bradshaw, Elway, Fouts, Jurgensen, Layne, Moon, Starr, Tarkenton, and Tittle.

college ball in washington state, pro ball in CFL, two of the warmest places on earth

For your 25th post you expressed yourself very intelligently, congrats

Anyone who's read Albion's Seed is familiar with the fact that there are differing regional cultures in the U.S. In order of arrival, those cultural groups are: 1) the Puritans, 2) the Cavaliers, 3) the Quakers, and 4) the Borderers. Of the four groups, the Puritans have the best work ethic and highest education standards, the Cavaliers have the most refined/best social elite (think George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, etc.), the Quakers are the most industrial, materialistic, pacifistic, and feministic, and the Borderers are the toughest and most warlike. Typically, areas settled by the Borderers produce the highest number of football players on a per-capita basis.

The term "Borderer" was used to describe the residents of the six northernmost counties in England, the Scotch lowlands, and northern Ireland. As well as their descendants. Examples of Borderers include John Wayne, General Patton, and people like that. Southwest Pennsylvania is Borderer territory, but so too are a lot of other places in the U.S. Borderer territory includes Appalachia, the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, northern Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, Texas, Oklahoma, the Southwest, and--oddly enough--Southern California. But, as is also the case for the three other cultural groups, the Borderer culture has degenerated and declined. In some places this decline is worse than others. From a football perspective, you're most interested in toughness and other warrior virtues. I'm guessing that these traits have not decayed as much in rural or mountainous areas--such as southwest Pennsylvania--as they may have in places like Los Angeles or San Diego.

Well what happened to all these Pennsylvania QB's for the last 20 or so drafts?

I want to address the silly notion that floats around Bills' Nation from time to time that to be a successful quarterback in Buffalo that one needs to be from a cold-weather climate and have extensive experience playing in the cold. There's usually some implication also about mental toughness being a function of a cold weather upbringing.

I will call this "The Cold Weather Theory."

First let me state that more NFL players come from California than any other state. These are recent numbers from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

States with the most NFL players

California: 198

Texas: 173

Florida: 169

Georgia: 84

Ohio: 65

Pennsylvania: 65

Louisiana: 62

Virginia: 56

North Carolina: 53

South Carolina: 49

Mississippi: 47

Illinois: 47

Alabama: 46

You'll notice 3 cold weather states on the list. Based on these numbers across all positions, the Cold Weather Theory has no validity whatsoever.

Almost all of these HOF's excelled in NFL cold weather climates after spending most of their earlier football careers playing in warm weather. Of the above the only ones who played in warm weather NFL cities were Aikman, Fouts, and Moon although Moon was a record setting quarterback in the Canadian Football League.

Of present day quarterbacks Tom Brady is from the Bay area (as is Trent Edwards and Jim Harbaugh), Carson Palmer and Matt Cassell are from southern California, Brett Favre from Mississippi, Peyton and Eli from Louisiana, Phillip Rivers from Alabama, and I could go on and on.

A cold weather upbringing probably has almost nothing to do with how well a quarterback plays in cold weather in the NFL. Is there an adjustment to be made? Probably. But in light of all this information, how much of a factor is it really?

And it's not like Trent Edwards tore it up every time he played indoors, or in warm weather. He sucked in the snow, and sucked in the sun. He sucked.

But he would get a guy from Jacksonville, Florida? Kelly is clearly not the brightest guy.

Kelly didn't mention anything about warm or cold weather...just California, which is pretty far from California. Timmy Tebow might not be as bad as the truly bright people, who happen to have never taken a snap in the NFL, would have you believe.

Another quick thing, what is with hating on Flutie? Wow, I didn't realize people disliked him so much. The guy comes in and plays his ass of for this team, finds ways to win games, that didn't necessarily require 400 yards passing, and there is that much animosity against him? I kind of miss the playoffs, and seeing that unrelenting effort out of QB.

I don't give a flying s#@t where our QB comes from, I am just concerned where he is taking us.

Kelly didn't mention anything about warm or cold weather...just California, which is pretty far from California. Timmy Tebow might not be as bad as the truly bright people, who happen to have never taken a snap in the NFL, would have you believe.

Another quick thing, what is with hating on Flutie? Wow, I didn't realize people disliked him so much. The guy comes in and plays his ass of for this team, finds ways to win games, that didn't necessarily require 400 yards passing, and there is that much animosity against him.... I kind of miss the playoffs, and seeing that unrelenting effort out of QB.

Just leftovers of the Rob Johnson fan club and people who can't grasp the idea that someone under 5'9" can play OB in the NFL

Interesting. I am now wondering where the main cultural (not ethnic) groups of Buffalo's population rank for intelligence, because there seems to be an excessive amount of idiocy on this board. I don't think people from this area should analyze football. They are tough of course, hard workers and all that, just not smart.

It's genetic...

Losman and Edwards choked in the snow and made comments about how it was their first game in snow. That's reason enough for Kelly to draw conclusions. It has less to do with being from CA and more to do with a lack of player/coaching imagination in prepping for the difference.

Losman and Edwards choked in the snow and made comments about how it was their first game in snow. That's reason enough for Kelly to draw conclusions. It has less to do with being from CA and more to do with a lack of player/coaching imagination in prepping for the difference.

Bart Starr was from Alabama and Brett Favre from Louisiana. Bart played college ball in Alabama and Brett played in Mississippi. They both didn't seem to have too much trouble playing in cold and snow.

Trent just plain ticks me off that he won't even try to adjust. Wouldn't it make sense to come back to Buffalo in Feb and work out in the cold and snow everyday to try to learn how to handle it? I mean if he really wanted to be the starter in Buffalo for years to come? But no, he goes back to sunny CA to work on his golf game.

Another quick thing, what is with hating on Flutie? Wow, I didn't realize people disliked him so much. The guy comes in and plays his ass of for this team, finds ways to win games, that didn't necessarily require 400 yards passing, and there is that much animosity against him? I kind of miss the playoffs, and seeing that unrelenting effort out of QB.

I don't give a flying s#@t where our QB comes from, I am just concerned where he is taking us.

I don't get it either. They are probably the same ones shreaking at the idea of hiring Martz afraid he wants to pass too much. Buffalo should have a strong running game. When we had that, they didn't like it because we didn't have strong pass game.

I chalk it up to revisionist history. I don't pretend to know the reason.