Kelly: Move on from Edwards. Target Tebow. (linkage)

Lv-Bills

The NFL has seen many college pedigreed pure pocket passers with gaudy stats, flame right out. Tebow has done nothing but win his entire career. A lot of people forget that a number of colleges wouldn't give Kelly a chance to play QB. Even Penn State had him playing LB, not QB. Kelly went to My Yami and the rest is Hall of Fame history.

I would definitely take a shot at Tebow. His leadership abilities would do wonders for this team, which hasn't had a real offensive leader since Kelly and to a much, much lesser degree, Bledsoe.

I think Kelly sees a lot of himself in Tebow and if he thinks Tebow would be a good fit for the Bills, who on this board has the credentials to argue with that?

Jimmy Johnson would argue with Jim Kelly:

I don't think Tim Tebow can play in the NFL if it's in a pro style offense

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/87182/

I would say that Jimmy Johnson is far and beyond a better talent evaluator than Jim Kelly. Also, pocket passers may have fizzled out, but there are no good QBs today who can't throw from the pocket.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll start out by saying that I'm a Tim Tebow fan, and hope that he is able to prove his doubters wrong by carving out a career in the NFL at QB.

I think the varying opinion regarding Tebow's NFL upside, highlights the difference in the way coaches and football fans look at prospects and the way personnel men or general managers do.

In recent weeks, Jon Gruden and Tony Dungy have come out clearly that they are huge Tebow fans and expect him to have much success in the NFL. Now Kelly chimes in with support for picking Tebow to be the franchise player for the Bills.

From what I have read, those that actually evaluate talent for NFL teams grade Tebow much lower as an NFL prospect.

This tension, difference of opinion, highlights why it's important to have the benefit of having a balanced viewpoint between your GM and your Head Coach and why, oh so few, have been able handle both positions successfully.

Tebow's unquestioned leadership skills will have little value to a team if he is unable to be a play maker in the NFL.

In the NFL, ones leadership skills or credibility are very much related to your ability to make a difference on the field.

In a few years, i'll look forward to looking back on this debate to see who had it right.

Best of luck to Tim Tebow, as he will bring character and honor to any path he chooses in life.

Jim Kelly may not speak for the Buffalo Bills in an official capacity, but I can't think of anyone who's word carries more weight when speaking on behalf of the future of the Buffalo Bills then Jim Kelly, unless of course its RW.

When Kelly speaks, folks listen, and for that reason Jim Kelly should conduct himself in a more professional manner in my opinion.

I agree with you. Much as I love Kelly, and am grateful for his continued concern about the Bills, I really wish he would refrain from calling individual players out. Anytime you insult someone, but start it out as a compliment, it sounds bad. Normally, when former players speak negatively of current players, it makes them sound bad. I lost a ton of respect for Fran Tarkington for his idiotic, petty, comment about Brett Favre. I realize, Jim's comment on Edwards aren't as nasty as that, but they are unnecessary, and don't really do anything positive for the team that has to take the field for the next 6 weeks.

It is pretty obvious, at this point, that the Bills need to move on from Edwards. If he (Edwards) was an arrogant jerk, it might not sit as unfavorably with me, but no need for, arguably, the greatest Buffalo Bill of all time, to pile on a player who has fallen from grace. I haven't seen/heard any evidence suggesting that Edwards hasn't been prepared, or is uncaring. His, "I am not a Buffalo Bills fan" comment has been completely obscured by his detractors, and removed from context. Let Edwards play, keep your fingers crossed that he gets better. Or, let him sit on the bench and learn...either way, his play is going to have little impact on the 2009 Bills. Let sleeping dogs rest...

What I don't understand is why Jim Kelly is making statements that are clearly not advantageous to Trent Edwards or the Buffalo Bills at this point in time. As an owner you owe your players a little more respect in my opinion. It just decreases the confidence of a player and the value of a football team especially as we search for a new HC. Why advertise your starting QB is not worth the time or effort and what your intentions should be in the next draft, brilliant.

If Jim Kelly wants to be part owner of the Buffalo Bills then he really should start acting like an owner and keep his personal opinions to himself. There's a time and a place for everything and now is clearly not the time and the place to run down your current players.

Why would I want to come and coach for a football team that treats their own players like trash, now what does that tell me about your organization.

News flash: Trent Edwards is not the starting QB in Buffalo...nor will he ever be again. At some point in time you are going to have to come to grips with that.

And, how on Earth is Kelly treating anyone like trash? Honestly, if Kelly said this about T.O. you would love it and say how your legend Kelly is right...but because he says it about your beloved Trent you have an issue with it.

The coaching staff already said what Kelly did LOUD and CLEAR when they benched Trent for Fitz and signed Brohm...

I would say that Jimmy Johnson is far and beyond a better talent evaluator than Jim Kelly. Also, pocket passers may have fizzled out, but there are no good QBs today who can't throw from the pocket.

and JJ's vaunted coaching career ended with a giant phhhhht. Since Kelly hasn't had the opportunity to act in any official capacity as a talent evaluator, it is hard to argue that JJ is better at something that Kelly hasn't had the chance to do..... yet. If Kelly were to have a track record in talent evaluation, then we would have something tangible to discuss.

Me? I'll take a chance on leadership, character and proven track record....every time, until proven wrong.

Guest dog14787
News flash: Trent Edwards is not the starting QB in Buffalo...nor will he ever be again. At some point in time you are going to have to come to grips with that.

And, how on Earth is Kelly treating anyone like trash? Honestly, if Kelly said this about T.O. you would love it and say how your legend Kelly is right...but because he says it about your beloved Trent you have an issue with it.

The coaching staff already said what Kelly did LOUD and CLEAR when they benched Trent for Fitz and signed Brohm...

I didn't have any issue with Kelly thinking it or even acting on it with the pull he evidently has with RW. It was announcing it to the nation is what I have an issue with because from an owners perspective you have a man in Trent Edwards whom despite having failed here in Buffalo has been loyal and a team comes first kind of player. TE has carried himself as consummate professional and should be treated in kind. Trent Edwards so far has kept silent throughout what must be a very hard ordeal for him. Have we ever heard TE point the finger at anyone or even try to use concussions as an excuse.

I would feel a bit betrayed if I was Trent Edwards right about now and as well he should be in my opinion.

and JJ's vaunted coaching career ended with a giant phhhhht. Since Kelly hasn't had the opportunity to act in any official capacity as a talent evaluator, it is hard to argue that JJ is better at something that Kelly hasn't had the chance to do..... yet. If Kelly were to have a track record in talent evaluation, then we would have something tangible to discuss.

Me? I'll take a chance on leadership, character and proven track record....every time, until proven wrong.

None of what you listed means anything without the ability to become a pocket passer. That is a fact.

Yet I'm hearing Mike Martz is interested in the Bills future HC vacancy and is also high on our QB Trent Edwards. Keep in mind this is someone that knows a little bit about coaching up QB's.( Myself personally, I have zero desire to bring Mike Martz into Buffalo to coach the Bills)

I guess Mike Martz must have missed the newsflash.

Headlines today in the Chicago paper say that Martz may replace Lovie in Chicago.

FWIW.

The NFL has seen many college pedigreed pure pocket passers with gaudy stats, flame right out. Tebow has done nothing but win his entire career. A lot of people forget that a number of colleges wouldn't give Kelly a chance to play QB. Even Penn State had him playing LB, not QB. Kelly went to My Yami and the rest is Hall of Fame history.

I would definitely take a shot at Tebow. His leadership abilities would do wonders for this team, which hasn't had a real offensive leader since Kelly and to a much, much lesser degree, Bledsoe.

I think Kelly sees a lot of himself in Tebow and if he thinks Tebow would be a good fit for the Bills, who on this board has the credentials to argue with that?

:thumbsup::lol:

Again... Tebow is big (should hold up well) and he can move... Why not take a shot!

I would take into account that Jimmy coached at Miami & is a Gator Hater.

well if kelly's scouting opinions are being heard, then we really are doomed. Success in the NFL has already proven to be out of reach for QBs whose only experience is the spread offense, and who cannot read defenses. Tebow is a one-read guy who, like JP, pulls it down and runs whenever his primary read is covered. It works in college but it won't fly in the NFL.

You guys have actually seen Tebow throw the football right? If not, please watch some video and tell me with a straight face you think this guy is going to make it in the NFL. I'll be waiting to hear from you.

Tebow is destined to be linked with Gino Torreta as the worst Heisman trophy winning QB's in the moderna era of college FB. Throw in Jason White. Notice how all the really good young QB's played in Pro systems like Flacco and Ryan.

I'll start out by saying that I'm a Tim Tebow fan, and hope that he is able to prove his doubters wrong by carving out a career in the NFL at QB.

I think the varying opinion regarding Tebow's NFL upside, highlights the difference in the way coaches and football fans look at prospects and the way personnel men or general managers do.

In recent weeks, Jon Gruden and Tony Dungy have come out clearly that they are huge Tebow fans and expect him to have much success in the NFL. Now Kelly chimes in with support for picking Tebow to be the franchise player for the Bills.

From what I have read, those that actually evaluate talent for NFL teams grade Tebow much lower as an NFL prospect.

This tension, difference of opinion, highlights why it's important to have the benefit of having a balanced viewpoint between your GM and your Head Coach and why, oh so few, have been able handle both positions successfully.

Tebow's unquestioned leadership skills will have little value to a team if he is unable to be a play maker in the NFL.

In the NFL, ones leadership skills or credibility are very much related to your ability to make a difference on the field.

In a few years, i'll look forward to looking back on this debate to see who had it right.

Best of luck to Tim Tebow, as he will bring character and honor to any path he chooses in life.

Perfectly said and I echo space's thoughts.

Tebow is destined to be linked with Gino Torreta as the worst Heisman trophy winning QB's in the moderna era of college FB. Throw in Jason White. Notice how all the really good young QB's played in Pro systems like Flacco and Ryan.

Even if he were to be a total bust in the NFL.........which he WON'T. Tebow is going to be remembered as the BEST College Player EVER so he DESERVES the Heisman as it is for COLLEGE not the NFL & he may win another Heisman this year.

Even if he were to be a total bust in the NFL.........which he WON'T. Tebow is going to be remembered as the BEST College Player EVER so he DESERVES the Heisman as it is for COLLEGE not the NFL & he may win another Heisman this year.

naah, this year it's colt mccoy or mark ingram.

Jimmy Johnson is the guy who absolutely wasted a first round pick on a QB when he already had a young Troy Aikman. If you ever have a chance, go back and look at the guy's drafts. His miss percentage is unparalleled. Had Minnesota not been so stupid, Dallas would NEVER have won anything.

I have seen most of his games & I say HELL YEAH he will make it in the NFL. You can watch him Saturday as he beats up the Girls school from Fla. on his way to a THIRD National Title.

my dear boy. As a member of this "girls school" I fear you may severely underestimate us. I don't think we'll win, but Tebow will not singlehandedly destroy us.